35 cal 180g HG partition in a rifle

NoKnees

Beginner
Nov 3, 2006
Does anyone have an idea how the 35 cal 180g HG Partition would work on whitetails with a 2600fps muzzle velocity and impact velociies at 1800-2500fps?

I load Hornady's 180grain pistol in a 350Rem magnum at around 2300fps. It works great and light on the shoulder. The only reason I don't have any Noslers is that they grouped so well on paper the family shot them all, so all I had left was Hornadys for the hunt and the wife took 2 deer.

The 35 I was refering to was the .357 180 hand gun Nossler Partition bullet but being used in a rifle.

NoKness is this the bullet you are talking about?

Nossler 3 1800fps impact velocity wow this is too bad this means that the Partition would be a very bad choice for a 357 magnum pistol hunter, since 1800fps can only be reached out of a carbine and that is at the muzzle not at impact. This is good information to know and kind of a surprise. Was this bullet made for the 357 maximum?

It has been done with the 35 Remington chambered in a Marlin 336.

You may want to go to MarlinOwners.com and search for entries by a fellow "35remington" who has done extensive handloading for the 35 Remington.

I was talking about the handgun Partition bullet. I think I will try shooting a few into wetpaper ( once it gets a little warmer here) and see how it does. I was concerned that at 358 win velocities it would almost instantly shed the front core.

Even if the front petals are lost, they will become secondary projectiles. The remaining bullet being 35 cal will give deep penetration and leave a nice exit wound.

In the 358 Win, try the 225 gr PT. I have used this bullet in my 35 Whelen with excellent results on WT deer and a 250 lb Black Bear.

JD338

Back