35 grain Varmageddon bullets in 22 hornet?

Hemiallen

Beginner
Aug 14, 2012
Hello

Getting ready to reload a "new to me" ruger 77 Hornet early build gun that shoots Hornady 35 Vmax ammo well, and finding ammo with Nosler 35 grain Varm. bullets ( midway-on notify list), but not seeing them for sale as components yet. I hate to have to buy Hornady components versus Nolsers. BTW, My 17 FB loves the tipped Varm. bullets shooting bughole groups with them.

Are they available, and if so, any load recommendations? I see the load data doesn't show them, nor the Hornet recommended wonder powder Lil-Gun listed either.

Thanks much

Allen

Welcome to the forum!

My 77/22 hornet always liked 13 gr LILgun with the 35 grain Hornady. Accuracy was good and velocity was 3k plus. Prairie dogs hated that load.

Thanks

I am surprised, guess I misplaced my old logon, but I don't think I had more than a dozen posts before. Too many websites to keep up on, but suspect the answer to Varmageddon's not on the Nolser load data would be found here.

Thanks, I hope to try the factory ammo, both Hornady and some Rem I think 46 hp's I picked up a year ago for a future gun, hoping I can get the ammo to shoot good enough to keep the gun ( trial basis for a week) and add a repeater to my 17AH and 22 k hornet Contenders, that I haven't shot much either. I think the 35's will work well with the std hornet to replace "rimfire distances" the 221 FB and 17 Fb's are overkill for, plus it's an excuse for another gun to load for, although I am sure it is more versitile than 100 yds and under.

Thanks for the welcome and loads to try

Allen

Hemiallen

Welcome to the forum, glad you are here.

A 35 gr bullet should really make the Hornet sting!

JD338

Lilgun works so well with 40-45gr bullets they are what I use. My gun a CZ527 also seems to like them better. The 40 & 45 gr Speer or Sierra and the Berger 40gr HPV all stalize great. The longer hpv velocity is 2980fps and the 40gr hornet bullets +3K.

With yotes and bobcats on the menu I have setteled on the 45gr speer for the std OCL of 1.723" and the berger for long OCL and single load option.

The soild base 45gr and a 38gr HP that will stabizle in the 1:16 twist and still load at an OCL of 1.723" would be nice.

Back