35 Newton 225 AB H4895

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I decided to drop back a little from my full house Newton loads. I was running 225's at 2960 but in the rifle being short and fairly light it wasn't a lot of fun so I decided to try some H4895 with 225 ABs. Recoil was much nicer and while I didn't chrono them I should be in the 2850 range with the upper loads.

I think I'm going to chrono 67 and see where I'm at. If that is under MOA and repeatable I believe it'll get to hunt this fall.

That'll knock them on their arses.......................... That's a hammer Scotty. Any elk taken with this one yet?

c. schutte":1iobu7a2 said:
That'll knock them on their arses.......................... That's a hammer Scotty. Any elk taken with this one yet?

Nope. Not yet Chuck. It'll hunt if it keeps working with me.

That will be more than adequate to drop anything you'll ever encounter here in NA and likely in most any other part of the world, Scotty. Has to be a thumper.

Looking good Scotty. It's a hammer load as is.

JD338

That's looking good Scotty. It looks like both the 350 and the Newton well get the job done.
If your going to run H4895 you could try some CFE223 I think you would be surprised how it works for you.

H 4895 seems to be working well for you in a few 35 cal rounds and this one is no exception. I would imagine full house loads in a light rifle would be a bit interesting. I found that to be the case with the 358 Norma I had. Still have the barrel though just in case ;)

gerry":2rl613pg said:
H 4895 seems to be working well for you in a few 35 cal rounds and this one is no exception. I would imagine full house loads in a light rifle would be a bit interesting. I found that to be the case with the 358 Norma I had. Still have the barrel though just in case ;)

I kinda started looking at the Nosler manuals for data. Since the Norma is so close to the Newton, and there was data I decided to give it a shot. I need to chrono them, but honestly if I'm near 2800 or so I'll be happy as a lark. I've got a dial so if I know the speed, elk are usually only a couple clicks away...

truck driver":2rl613pg said:
That's looking good Scotty. It looks like both the 350 and the Newton well get the job done.
If your going to run H4895 you could try some CFE223 I think you would be surprised how it works for you.

I've got a ton of H4895, so I'm trying to find good ways of using it. It works excellent in reduced loads and has been excellent in my 223, 35 Whelen with 200 ABs, 6.5 Swede and a couple others. Plus it's usually fairly easy to find if I do need more. Supposed to be fairly temp stable which doesn't really sway me, but it doesn't hurt either.

Scotty that's the same powder I used in my 35 Whelen w/a 225 TSX and I thought it was odd going to it in the first place, but I was happy that I did try it in the end! In the Whelen it gave really good speed.

If H4895 does work for you have you tried RL-19?

longrangehunter":3hz50a9w said:
Scotty that's the same powder I used in my 35 Whelen w/a 225 TSX and I thought it was odd going to it in the first place, but I was happy that I did try it in the end! In the Whelen it gave really good speed.

If H4895 does work for you have you tried RL-19?

I haven't tried 19 Kevin. I did run a bunch of 17 but it really didn't shoot super till I was at the upper end of the speed range and shooting that rifle at 2950 with 225's is a hand full. I am thinking I am closer to the 2850 range with H4895 and it seems to be a little gentler on me..

H4895 does work great in the Whelen though.. Might try it with some 200 TTSX's.. Heck, I might even try them in the Newton too... I wished Nosler would drop an ETip for the .358's...

Scotty,

Since there isn't really any 35 Newton data I usually like to look at something close to it in case capacity. What's out there like it, and are you using 8x68s brass, or the Ruger brass. I can see maybe the 358 Norma, or the 35 STA which is why I said maybe try RL-19. Oh, what's your barrel length? If it's real short a faster powder would help.

One thing Kenny taught me was the barrel will either like the bullet or hate it, and why I don't force something that just doesn't like what it's being fed? Nosler BT, and Sierra GK, SBT most of the time should be easy finding a accurate load. Or the Nosler PT is pretty easy too from what I've worked with in the past. Also a North fork, those grooves really do help with not only pressure, but sealing around the bore. I had good luck with those as well.

I use 375 Roger to form the Newton Kevin. End up having to trim them about a 1/10". Makes great brass though.

I've never tried 19 but you're right, it could work excellent. The rifle has a 20.5" barrel on it.

Should have a chance to shoot more this weekend. Hope to get it sorted out further.

Back