35 WCF

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
A while back I asked about some load data for a 35 WCF in a model 1895 Winchester because a neighbor has one just so an would like to shoot it. Found Ken Waters Pet Loads to be the authority extant on said cartridge as there arent a lot of them around.

Bought a set of Redding Dies and plan to fire form 30-40 Krag brass with Cream of Wheat and Unique or 2400. Going to load something in the 200-220 grain range at a mid-range velocity of about 2400 fps.

My question to you all is what charges of unique or 2400 for that matter should I use? I was thinking 20-22 grains of unique and maybe 25 of 2400? I have never done the Cream of Wheat fire-form for anything like this, merely small cases for AI alterations.

Will post pictures when its all said and done this fall...

Here's the method that Ken Howell suggests for the 35 whelen that many have used with good success.

Dr Ken Howell

All but one of the methods that I've used produced off-center necks. Fortunately, the only one method that I can recommend works perfectly — fire-forming with inert filler. I've used a hydraulic case-former, a tapered expander button, a series of expander buttons (.308, 8mm, .338, .358), etc, and found 'em all disappointing. Fire-forming was a most-welcome discovery.

• Prime with pistol primers.
• Lube cases with good case lube.
• Load a test case with 10 to 12 grains of Bullseye or other fast pistol powder (generally, I go light with a .25-06 case and use a bit more with a .30-06 case).
• Wad ¼ sheet of toilet tissue into a loose ball and tamp it down lightly atop the powder charge.
• Fill case to the mouth with inert filler (Cream of Wheat, Instant Ralston, corn meal, etc) — but not flour.
• Close mouth with smear of Vaseline, cast-bullet lube, paraffin wax, or a disc of paper from a paper punch.
• Insert case in chamber with muzzle up.
• Fire.
• Inspect test case. If shoulder hasn't formed full and sharp, increase test load slightly and try again.

I have never done the CoW method but I would think you need to cut the charge weights in half.

JD338

Okay thanks fellas, that is what i was worried about, i know the pistol powders build pressure real fast and dont want to worry about blowing cases. Will give the method Pop was talking about but what do you think about the 2400?

10-12 grains?

Thanks again guys!

Man, you have to get a few pictures of that rifle and round. Being a huge 35 cal nut I have to see it, if you can get some pictures that is! Scotty

Oh yeah Scotty this round is the best...dont have the rifle nearby but will post a picture of the round soon. Its a 30-40 Krag blown out, with a sharper shoulder and shorter neck that throws 250 grainers at 2100 fps. Its quite a load in the old 1895 Winchester Rifle. Will post pics when I have some. Kick is about like a heavy 30-06. Nice shooting old gun.

Here you go Scotty...pic one is a Loaded round and a fired case

Pic Two is a 30-06 (shown for comparison) and 35 WCF loaded round.

Enjoy!

PHOT0016.jpg

PHOT0017.jpg

Thank you! That cartridge is awesome. Is it wrong to like those 35's this much? That seems like it would be one cool cat in the M95 Winchester. What a classic old round.

I found this on GB. What a cool old rifle as well. Little outta my league, but man, seems like a truly awesome big game rifle of the day. Doesn't give up much to the Whelen at all. Scotty

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 984141#PIC

filmjunkie4ever":zqptakzz said:
Oh yeah Scotty this round is the best...dont have the rifle nearby but will post a picture of the round soon. Its a 30-40 Krag blown out, with a sharper shoulder and shorter neck that throws 250 grainers at 2100 fps. Its quite a load in the old 1895 Winchester Rifle. Will post pics when I have some. Kick is about like a heavy 30-06. Nice shooting old gun.

Man, with some RN 250's in the magazine, there isn't much that rifle wouldn't do with style! Can't wait to see the rifle pictures. It would almost be cheaper to find a new Krag and have it rebarreled to 35WCF than to actually buy the original one! I just happen to know where there is a brand new Winchester 30-40! Scotty

The velocities you report are very good for that old cartridge. It would be a thumper, for sure.

Yeah Doc I have read where some folks claim 2200 fps but I think you may be stretching the old 1895's legs a bit there so I plan to run them no hotter than 2100 fps with 250 grainers. The owner of the rifle is actually a neighbor to my parents place out in Eastern Oregon and we are working up some loads for him right now. He plans to try a 220 grain if possible for less recoil at around 2350-2400 fps; plus he doesn't plan shooting it a ton, only a deer here and there. i ought to make him let me shoot something with it as payment for his load workup and assembly :twisted:

Its a grand old rifle though and if I was headed to the Klondike after World War I the two rifles I would take would be a 1903 Springfield Sporterized in 30-06 and this 1895 in 35 WCF.

The velocities are not much behind a 358 Win, and close to what I'd expect from my .356 Win, neither of which is a slouch at taking game (I've taken mule deer, elk, moose, black bear and grizzly with my .356s). I think the old '95 will be a fun rifle for game.

Now Doc, my birthday is coming up next month, and well I dont have anything 35 caliber in my gun cabinet...a 356 would be a great one to start with. :wink:

Of course I would need dies... :wink:

There's a border between us. Homeland Security wants to keep you safe from marauding Canadians. :) They have a fit about such a thing. Ergo, I'll keep my 356s. Skookum cartrtidge and great rifles, though. :grin:

DrMike":54ttp07p said:
The velocities you report are very good for that old cartridge. It would be a thumper, for sure.

I do agree also!

filmjunkie4ever":14w4j28u said:
Now Doc, my birthday is coming up next month, and well I dont have anything 35 caliber in my gun cabinet

I absolutely love the 35 caliber cartridges and rifles we have available. I have a 35 Rem in a Marlin 336CS, 358 Win in a Browning BLR and a 35 Whelen in a M700 CDL. Love all three of them. Nothing really special about the 35's, but they are excellent cartridges for hunting normal ranges. If you don't have any 35's, check out an inexpensive 35 Rem in a Marlin or something. Pretty potent package in a neat lever rifle.

I imagine those 220gr Speer at 23-2400 in that 35WCF would be pretty awesome for just about anything. Anyhow, very neat cartridge and rifle. I am looking forward to your range work with the rifle. Scotty

Haha Doc you know I had to try it and see :grin:

Yeah I am also looking forward to doing some range work with this old rifle. It has a reciever mounted peep sight and I have gotten some really decent groups in the past from these sights.

Going to be the end of July before I get over there to do the workup though...i know, i know...

:wink:

But I will post pics asap.

Back