35 whelen, 225 ballistic tip

Cane

Beginner
Mar 5, 2005
I just got some of these and will be loading them for a Remington 7600 pump. my question how far do you seat this bullet. I'm down to an OAL of 3.30" just to eject it out of the gun.

Cane

I just talked to one of our ballistics Guru's and he said your Remington 7600 with the 225gr Ballistic Tip seat COL 3.340" should work. It's possible that your rifle might need some additional tuning so consider having a qualified gunsmith take a look at it. Hope that helps.

I had the same problem with the 225 BT being to long. The 225 bt is just as long or longer than a 250 part. I used 225 bt on hunting season when I drew a mule deer tag in Eastern OR, I found the 225 BT to be a bit to explosive for my liking. I stick with 250 grn partitions backed by blc2 for Roosevelt elk and black beer and a 200 gn cl backed with blc2 for Blacktails. I have never had an animal go more than ten feet. I love the whelen. My hunting is in Western Oregon in thick brush or thick timber, all of my shots are generally 75 yds or less. the last Bear I took was at 20 paces. Thats when a big heavy bullet is nice.

I'm going to ask around again. Thanks for the info guys. It might take alittle time since we get swanped here but rest assure I'll be asking around.

It is a Rem 760 that started life as a 35 Rem that some time in history was rechambered for Whelen, who ever did the work did a great job, the gun shoots great,

Rogue,
Been a Whelen fan for 15 years with 225 and 250 Partitions and others. I just got a box of .35 225 BT's that I'd like to use on whitetails. Read your above on them being explosive. Can you elaborate on the circumstances/velocity/range, etc? Mines a stock Ruger M77.
Thanks,
Sako

BTW, I grew up out by Emigrant Lake, east of Ashland. Currently living in Georgia.

Back