35 whelen ammo?????????

whitearrow

Beginner
Oct 31, 2009
Hello fellas I am new here so if this question has been asked please forgive me
.I recently bought a thompson center encore pro hunter in 35 whelen.I immediately
started looking for the best factory ammo that I could find.as I was going through
the shelves I see some nosler custom ammo.I pick the box up and to my surprise
the specs on the back of the box say 2,800 fps for a 225 grain AccuBond in 35 whelen
.that astounded me because the norm so far for factory fodder is at best 2,600 fps.is
this load from nosler hot,like a +p or light magnum or something?I mean what else explains the extra 200 fps?
if it is I don't know if I want to use it because of inceased wear and tear on the firearm
Thanks,
Whitearrow->>>------------------>

whitearrow

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here with us.

Nosler custom loaded ammunition is loaded to SAAMI spec. There are powders listed in RG #6 that show 2800 fps loads.
RL 15 2789 fps
Varget 2800 fps
IMR 4064 2805 fps

The 35 Whelen is a serious big game cartridge. It is capable of talking elk and moose size game at 300 + yards but not over kill for deer size game.

Let us know how your 35 Whelen shoots for you.

JD338

Thanks jd.so are you saying that the nosler ammo for the 35 whelen is just a standard pressure round and not a hot/+p,for lack of the correct terminology?I just don't want to cause any undue stress on my firearm with hotly loaded ammo.I just can't figure out how nosler gets that extra 200 fps vs. The other manufacturers.
Thanks,
Whitearrow->>>----------------->

Shoot the Nosler ammunition with confidence. You'll find the 35 Whelan to be the Hammer of Thor on game.

Thanks fellas for the replies.but I am still unclear as to what exactly SAAMI spec is.sorry for the ignorance but if you could enlighten me on this jd I would be most appreciative.does anybody have a phone number to nosler?I need someone to explain to me how they get 200 fps more than anybody else factory loading for the 35 whelen.

Thanks again,
Whitearrow

Most of the factory ammo for the 35 Whelen is kind of under loaded. I am not sure if it was because of alot of older rifles that were converted over the years or what their reason were. 2800 with a 225gr bullet is really no big trick with the 35 Whelen out of a 24" barrel. The Whelen is actually below SAAMI spec's compared to a 30-06 also, so you will be fine in the TC. I think the regular Remington 200gr Core Lokt is only loaded to about 2600, which is really 358Win speeds. Try the Nosler Ammo, I am sure it will be great. I am another 35Whelen shooter, and like all the others said, it is a very efficient, hard hitting round, from deer to big game.. Good luck and let us know how it works. Scotty

anyone know what the powder charge is in the nosler custp, 225 grain 35 whelen? i love the loads.

bulletbob":1kjac67i said:
anyone know what the powder charge is in the nosler custp, 225 grain 35 whelen? i love the loads.

Nosler will not tell us what they load in their ammunition but I have a strong hunch it is usually the most accurate load data that they publish in their loading guide.
For the 35 Whelen, I would guess it is either RL 15 or IMR 4064. :wink:

JD338

I will second the RL15! It is tailor made for the 35 Whelen with 225-250gr bullets. It gets great speed and unbelievable accuracy with decent loads. It is all I put in the 35 Whelen. Scotty

I would like to see more ammo for the Whelen loaded with Partition type bullets in 180 grainers. After killing several deer with Barnes TTSX and Nosler partitions in the lighter loads I feel more guys would also drop down in grain size when they experience this kinda penetration from the lighter ones. They are much faster and hold up better and flatter.
The TTSX 85grainer from 243 was shot into a big NC mountain whitetail at 35 yards with his head down facing me. Bullet went into body cavity in top of neck and I found it in skin at private parts. That is 4 feet of penetration. A Whelen would have blown out his be-hind.

Green%20Mountain-20111122-00219.jpg

Green%20Mountain-20111122-00220.jpg

Green%20Mountain-20111122-00221.jpg

MagTen,

Welcome to the forum. Good to have you contributing your information. That is, indeed, some fine penetration.

Never ordered from them, but they are pretty highly recommended on the net.

Bill, you gotta get yourself a reloading set up! It's not too bad to get set up with some decent components, and you would really benefit I think with the odder calibers you shoot...

I do want to get into it. I think I would do okay with simple reloading but I get pretty intimidated with some of the technical stuff you guys talk about. Maybe buy some stuff with my tax returns this year.

I've received multiple reports of poor QC with Conley loads. I've never purchased from them, though they were recommended for loads for my .356 at one time. However, I roll my own, so that was a non-starter.

btoeps74":2wmdbnw8 said:
I do want to get into it. I think I would do okay with simple reloading but I get pretty intimidated with some of the technical stuff you guys talk about. Maybe buy some stuff with my tax returns this year.

It's not that complicated and you can be sure to get a lot of good advice here if you need it. both Redding and RCBS offer great starter kits, I am still using my RCBS Reloader Special 5 kit purchased 20+ years ago. It turns out some great ammo for me, it is a pretty fun hobby.

btoeps74":3354xe9t said:

You don't have to have a huge output in order to start loading quality ammo Bill. You can go whole hog and spend alot, or you could purchase a decent Lee set to see if you like it. All said, you could get by for around 200 to starting out with dies and such. I think the best dies you can afford are going to make more difference that what the bullet is pressed in with. Just some food for though.

It is a great hobby and it isn't all that hard to get it started. Any of us are more than willing to write or talk you through it all.

Back