Fast 35 Remington factory ammo velocities.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
I have an old Remington 141 in 35 Rem that shoots lights out with factory 200 gr cor lokt so I've never even shot anything else through it.

Finally got around to running some through the chrono for both out of curiosity, and so I'd have a reference of speed to try and duplicate on reloads if needed.

Was somewhat shocked at the results. Averaged 2154 fps with a high of 2174. :shock: Remington advertises 2080 fps, but most rifles the 35 rem is currently shot in such as the Marlin 336 would run way slower than that due to the short barrels.

My 141 has a 24" barrel and must have a tight chamber. I'd say I have a hot box of ammo except I have roughly 16 boxes, and the type that shoots the best is the plain green/yellow boxes that I was using. The type that says "Express" are ones that I felt were hotter because they are the only ones that produce sticky extraction and in a couple cases failure to extract.

My plan was to pull the bullets at some point on the "express" boxes and come up with a load that duplicated the plain box velocities. I'd be curious as to what the express velocities are, but based on the above numbers I'm almost afraid to shoot anymore to find out. Don't want to beat the old girl up.

I have been using Leverlution powder in my lever guns.

It always impresses me.

Pressure forecast is light, 25,600 for the RN, and 26,500 for the FTX

For 35 Rem, a 200gn Hornady RN recipe calls for 42.0-45.0c and speeds with a 24” barrel are forecasted at 2040-2235fps.

For the Hornady FTX project, they start at 37.0-41.4c and speed is 1897-2116.

Frankly, I’m a little surprised at the difference between those two 200gn Hornady bullets. The FTX starts and ends below the starting point before the RN interlock.

I don’t load 35 Rem.

3030, 303savage are the main levers I load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I had looked at that data from Hodgdon and LVR powder was what I was figuring on trying if/when I get into reloading for this rifle. Based on the numbers I seen yesterday I wont be surprised if I start out with higher velocity numbers than listed.

The thing that intrigued me about LVR powder in the 35 Rem is it produces top speed and by the looks of Hodgdon's data you can't stuff enough powder into the case to go over pressure. As long as accuracy goes along with it I don't see how you could go wrong.

LVR is what I use in my 35 Remington as well. Great speed and accuracy out of it. I only used the Remington 200 grain CLRN's in my rifle.

I haven’t had a pressure problem with it, and accuracy is normally great too.

Definitely a favorite powder. For the 303 sav, it was a game changer. At 33 guns, I had 160gn ftx’s at 2300fps and no pressure signs... room for more powder. I wanted to go up more, but a couple young boys hunting with great grandpas gun, and the dad didn’t want to risk the boys developing recoil sensitivity.

I think they have shot and recovered 5 deer with that load so far.
They used 100 Privi cases we got at Graf & sons.

A warning on 303 sav. Some barrels are 308 caliber, and some are .310-.311. Generally the oldest 303’s had barrels made in the UK. Those are the 310’s. I’d recommend lead for those guns. Newer 30 sav’s have USA made barrels at 308 caliber. We got lucky and had some old ammo known to shoot well, but not kill deer..I mic’d those bullets vs slugging the barrel.

That might be the ugliest chapter in the Savage 99 history book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OR, I could just try the H4895 I already have on hand. Based on the numbers I seen out of this rifle I wouldn't be surprised if I can get to that 2150 fps being generated by the factory ammo while staying under max, and doing it with a good bit less powder/recoil than LVR. Be worth a try since I already have it.

ShadeTree":3qcggorg said:
The thing that intrigued me about LVR powder in the 35 Rem is it produces top speed and by the looks of Hodgdon's data you can't stuff enough powder into the case to go over pressure. As long as accuracy goes along with it I don't see how you could go wrong.

I get 2200fps with the 220 Speer using LVR, which duplicates the Buffalo Bore round. As you note, it's impossible to stuff in enough powder to cause pressure issues. Go for accuracy.

What bullet will you be using?
The Remington 200gr RNSP hasn't been available for years as a separate item, so in a way you can't duplicate the factory load since you can't get the factory bullets.
If you want to stick with 200 gr, I would use the Hornady FTX.

ShadeTree":3gi6d6dx said:
OR, I could just try the H4895 I already have on hand. Based on the numbers I seen out of this rifle I wouldn't be surprised if I can get to that 2150 fps being generated by the factory ammo while staying under max, and doing it with a good bit less powder/recoil than LVR. Be worth a try since I already have it.
ShadeTree here are couple of loads that I use in my Rem 760 with 22in barrel. Have not checked speed.
180 gr Speer FP
38.5 grs H4895
Win LR primer
Win case

Speer 180 FP
45.0 grs LR
Win LR primer
RP case

Hornady factory loads with the 200 gr Flex tip give groups 1 in and under in my rifle. Dan.

I was getting 1900 FPS out of a 14” contender with the 200gr Remington load. I bet they are awesome in your 141. I’ve always been intrigued with those spiral tubed pump guns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry fella's, not ignoring your comments and suggestions, just been jammed busy.

LVR powder certainly seems worth trying. Appreciate the results some of you gave based on experience.

Bear, they are just an un-assuming pump gun, but I stated before and I still believe that it would cost THOUSAND'S of dollars to produce that gun today. I've had it completely broke down twice, once for a good cleaning and once for trigger work. The amount of milled parts and the engineering and man hours it took to produce is impressive.

The magazine tube is also the action bar. Wrap your head around the brain frying that went on figuring out how to make that work!

The bolt drops down on opening, and tilts up and locks on closing. The spiraled magazine is also spiraled on the inside. You can look through the load gate and see the last cartridge is sitting offset off the primer of the cartridge ahead of it. You can shoot pointed hard nosed bullets in a tube loaded magazine.

I love mine, but I like old guns and this one is a shooter.

Back