35 Whelen and 250gr Bullets

RL338

Handloader
Mar 23, 2017
I like to get the Hornady 250’s working in my CVA. I have a great load with Nosler 225gr BTs but the 250’s not so good. I would like to here what works for others. What I have on hand is N140 IMR 3031 RL-12 W748 BL-C2. I do have a keg of Varget which I don’t feel like opening until I burn up the RL-12. RL-15 isn’t an option as it isn’t available locally. If I have to buy a pound of something else it would be worth it if it works.
Lets hear what works for you.
Thanks

I haven't tried CFE 223 yet but it's supposed to be good. Have the powder just to try with 250's. Speer shows some excellent data for it and their 250. I mostly use 225's but have tried RL 15 with 250's but that isn't an option for you. Of your powder's I would try 748 and BLC(2) first. If that doesn't work and you can't find CFE 223, IMR 4064 and 8208 is where I would look.

As has been suggested, W748 and then Varget are a path that naturally suggests itself. A2520 proved to be a winner in both of my 35 Whelens, with W748 running a close second.

I've used 748 and in my 700, it does not group as well as RL15 using either 250 NP or 250 Speer HC. It dies give a bit more velocity, but not enough more that I imagine it would matter. Then again, I don't know if the accuracy was enough better to matter in any practical sense.

So, bottom line, my suggestion is RL15 if you value grouping a bit more heavily, 748 if you value velocity a bit more heavily.

I have begun testing 250 gr Speers with CFE223 in my Whelen. Velocity has been good at 2575 through a 22” barrel. Still need to test a couple of increments up since I am still below book max. Grouping at 1 1/4” now but I haven’t got to seating depth tweaks yet. This powder seems to be readily available.

Today I ran some of the 250’s and W748 over the Magnetospeed. I tried Fed 210M and CCI 250 , kinda surprised the magnum primer is a tad bit slower. Looks like 57grs is a flat spot and after adjusting the QL Ba to match my results , it lines up on a Barrel Time Node also. Loaded a bunch with each primer at 57grs to put on paper.
IMG_3810.jpeg

Looking good! You are going to have a powerful load.

JD338

Well sometimes things just don’t work out. The CVA hates Hornady 250gr SP without a doubt. Last year I worked with RL12 and RL17 and was disapointed. This time around W748 was no better. The bright side CCI 250 out performed the Fed 210M. At least it loves the Nosler 225gr BT I have a pile of.
IMG_3828.jpegIMG_3829.jpegIMG_3831.jpegIMG_3832.jpeg

I just wanted them to work because I got a bunch for a reasonable price. For now they’re going on the back burner.

The load with the 250 primer isn't all that bad. It would hunt. Maybe try one more powder you haven't yet. Never know, might find the sweet spot. Dan.

I fell into three rifles in .35 Whelen all within about a 6 month period. Two factory rifles and some's custom I bought at an estate sale. based on influence in the writings of Elmer Keith I worked with 250 gr. Bullets, mainly the Hornady RN and SP and the Speer Hot core. I'd read an article by Paco Kelly and one load he posted used H335. Well I had some on hand so gave it a try with the three bullets. Now I'm a practical sort. While sub-MOA groups are great for bragging purposes and confidence in a load on a hunt, any load that that does 1.5" or less is hunt worthy and I don't care if anyone agrees with that or not. All three bullets would do that or slightly better. I was able to work up to his posted load in all three rifles. I used 533.0 gr. H335 with all three bullets in Remington .35 Whelen brass, Winchester LR standard primer. Velocity was 2550 FPS plus or minus 10 FPS on average from from all three rifles. The custom Mauser shot the tightest groups at 1.1", Remington M700 Classic a close second place and the Ruger M77 held out for 1.5" on average.
Later on, I got drawn for a deer hunt in the Kaibab Nat'l, Forest and while I had good loads it was asked hunters shoot copper bullets voluntarily due to the area is part of the condor flyway. I found a couple of boxes of 225 gr. Barnes TSX and worked up a load in the Mauser. WOW! getting .50" groups most of the time and nothing over .80" in the years since. I never went back to 250 gr. bullets. I'm using the Ruger as a cast bullet gun as it has a larger chamber that the other two. I will probably tro 225 gr. Nosler Accubonds and Partitions in the Classic. I do have a small supply of the 275 gr. Hornady round nose bullets but haven't decided exactly what to do with them. I don't have anything big and nasty enough to try them on. FWIW, the 225 gr. TSX is absolutely devastating on elk. I see no reason why an AccuBond or Partition wouldn't work just as well..
FWIW, the load for the 225 gr.TSX is 60.4 gr. RL15. CAUTION: Start at least 5 percent below that level. The load is safe in my Mauser but is way too hot for use in the Remington and Ruger rifles I have, naturally, YMMV.
Paul B.

The 225 grain TSX works very well in either of the Whelens I have owned. You are correct about 1.5 inch accuracy. Not many years ago, that would have been considered a fine hunting load for most cartridges. There was certainly a ton of moose taken with 30-30 and 303 loads that might not shoot as well as that. I do believe people were hunters then and recognised the limits on their rifles. I know that some will say that a lot of game was wounded in that earlier day, though I'm not so sure about that.

Well sometimes things just don’t work out. The CVA hates Hornady 250gr SP without a doubt. Last year I worked with RL12 and RL17 and was disapointed. This time around W748 was no better. The bright side CCI 250 out performed the Fed 210M. At least it loves the Nosler 225gr BT I have a pile of.
View attachment 20567View attachment 20568View attachment 20569View attachment 20570
I haven't read every post yet, but I would seat that 250 deeper. You have a definite pattern or 2 and 1 going on and seating deeper may pull that round in RL338. I'll bet a dollar if you move .010" deeper and further if you have to and keep shooting you'll find happiness buddy. I'd bet one of Dr. Mike's dollars :cool:

Back