35 Whelen Elk Loads

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Looking for suggestion for the best bullet combo in the 35 Whelen for Elk and Mule Deer.
I have a load with the 225gr PT 2750-2780fps and was wondering if it's enough or should I look for something more, max comfort shooting range 300yds?

Your 225 grain Partition will be more than sufficient for elk and mule deer, Rodger. Load it up and enjoy the hunt.

DrMike":34k0x4op said:
Your 225 grain Partition will be more than sufficient for elk and mule deer, Rodger. Load it up and enjoy the hunt.
Thanks DrMike I was just wonder if I should explore using a mono bullet like the Barnes 225gr TSX for extra penetration?

Rodger my first animal with my 35 Whelen was a mature cow Elk she was hit with a 225gr. AB powered by RL15 going 2760fps or maybe a little better :wink:.
The range was just over 500 yards she did make it back to the bush but we found here just off the game trail. When we dressed her out we found that I had split her liver, she likely traveled 80 yards before laying down & expiring.
I believe that the 225gr. Partition would be every bit as good so go to it Lad (y) .
I am looking forward to a full report including photos :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

We have a saying where I live, when in dought use a Partition. I know that a 225 part. in a .338 will kill anything that needs killing, so 35 cal. should do the same.

My pet load for the .35 Whelen uses Re15 and the 225 gr. Barnes TSX. I've shot elk with it from 1`50 to 350 yards. Of the five animals, two were DRT and the rest were anchored so well that they were unable to go anywhere. They did require finishers. Velocity of the load (60.4 gr./Re15) is 2710 FPS.
I was so happy with that load that I've never bothered to look at anything else. Naturally, YMMV.
Paul B.

TD, most of my buddies around here use the same rifle & load for all three "over-the-counter" tags/seasons here in Washington: bear, deer and elk.

Most often that's something like a .270 with 130 - 150 gr bullets, a .30-06 with 165 or 180 gr bullets, or a .300 mag with 180 gr ammo.

Honestly, I think your .35 Whelen load is more than sufficient for any elk, at any reasonable range. Then again, take it for what it's worth, I've only shot one elk, a nice 6x6 bull, with a 175 gr Nosler Partition from my 7mm Rem mag. That bullet went right on through, destroying the vitals, and giving me a very dead elk in a very few seconds.

Regards, Guy

Thanks everyone for responding.

Guy I do have a 30-06 and 7mm Remington but want to use the 35 Whelen AI I think picking the right bullet to do the job and putting it in the right place is what it's all about.
Since I've never hunted Elk I just want to make sure I have the right bullet and load to get the job done I know the rifle is capable and with a good rest I can put the bullet where it needs to go for a clean kill.

You will be good to go. I have never elk hunted but if that combo doesn't do the job, nothing will. If you are confident with the load and the rifle, that is the most important part of the game.

I use the 225 Partition in my 358 at 2500fps. Have taken elk and moose cleanly. The moose was close, shot in the left chest and the bullet was lodged against the opposite side hip joint. The elk was broadside at 200yds, double lunged and the bullet kept going after expanding well. I don't know of a bullet I'd have more confidence in.

TD - I honestly think your .35 Whelen load is more than capable of taking any elk, anywhere.

It ought to be a hammer!

Guy Miner":1xukxf75 said:
TD - I honestly think your .35 Whelen load is more than capable of taking any elk, anywhere.

It ought to be a hammer!
Thanks Guy it did hammer the doe I shot this year and I do have confidence in the rifle, cartridge and load.

I predict; bang-whack- flop. You are well armed. I've missed the info, when and where?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":2p5civgo said:
I predict; bang-whack- flop. You are well armed. I've missed the info, when and where?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure what you mean by missed info. But I shot a White Tail doe with the 225gr Nosler load to 2750 - 2780fps in the 35 Whelen /AI this year hitting the H bone with a Texas Heart shot that destroyed the H bone , 6 ribs on the off side and shattered the femur in the right rear leg from the bullet impact to the H bone. Needless to say she didn't go any where.

Your 35 Whelen with the load you have will perform very well on elk at any reasonable distance, given proper placement.

I have only taken one animal with a friend's 35 Whelen in a Remington 7600 with the 250 gr Corlokt bullet; a cow elk at over 400 yards. She went a few yards and laid down, and required a finishing round, but this was due to catching one lung as she quartered towards me as I fired.

I have taken several bull elk and moose with my 358 Win in a BLR using the 220 gr Speer Hot Cor bullet over the past 13 years, and have not been wanting for more.

Enjoy your hunt!

Roger

I have done quite a bit of loading, shooting, testing and killing game with the 225 gr PT in a 35 Whelen. You are good to go.

JD338

Rodger, I suggest that you do not over think the best load question. My lowly 30-06 with 180 grain Partitions and Accubonds has performed very nicely on the three elk that I have been blessed to take. You will be fine with your loads. I look forward to seeing you in Montana, if not before.. :)

Thanks for the comments everyone I just wanted to make sure what I had experienced this year with the performance of my hand load on a deer wasn't a fluke or out of the norm for the Partition bullet since I had mostly used Hornady bullets in the past for all my hunt needs in other rifles and calibers.

If you want more penetration, I have a mould that casts a 310 grain ballistic missile and it groups wonderfully in my 35 WAI.

5shot":qs4ib55w said:
If you want more penetration, I have a mould that casts a 310 grain ballistic missile and it groups wonderfully in my 35 WAI.
That would be great Thanks ,except it's cut rifling and coppers like crazy so I would suspect it would lead heavily also and I would rather clean copper than lead.

Back