35 Whelen with Ramshot Big Game

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Thanks to some quickload data from Scotty I have been doing some work the last couple of days with Big Game in the 35 Whelen.

I started with the good old 250 gr Speer and was not disappointed, it appears it will be an accurate bullet in my gun, the worst group was around 1 1/2" and most much better than that.

Working up I had this group, the Chrony was having a bit of trouble in the gloomy early morning light but this load would be in the 2400 fps range.

I worked up to 62 gr and reshot it today, speed was 2559 fps and the group wasn't too bad.

I was really curious how the 275 gr Woodleigh would work in my gun so shot a few groups today, I worked up to 60 gr Big Game and shot this group, speed was 2463 fps.

Overall the speeds were a bit erratic with Big Game but pressures were likely a bit on the low side, from what I understand Ramshot powders perform best when near maximum pressures. The Woodleigh load groups a long way away from where my main load with the 200 gr AccuBond is sighted in, the 250 gr Speer is close enough to be useful without changing anything. While the 275 gr loads weren't brutal in my 7.4 lb ready to go gun they kick noticeably harder than the 250's, the 200 gr load even less. I could certainly run those 250 gr loads for spring black bear as they are.

Was going to do a bullet test with the 275 gr Woodleigh but didn't get it done, hopefully tomorrow if we still have enough milk jugs.

Next up, Varget and after that H 4895......

Good report, Gerry. That 275 Woodleigh would be a hammer. Of course, the dependable ol' 250 grain Speer Hot Cor will get the job done on anything in this province. Looks like a good, snowy shoot. What was your temp?

Pretty mild our snow is melting and it's raining right now, since September we have been alternating between above average temps and below average. I'll take the lack of snow and smile, it can be really bad here for that.

I'm well aware of your snow! Glad you're having some relief. I definitely know when I launch the 280 grain A-Frame in my Whelen; it gives me quite a sharp smack in the shoulder. I should imagine that the 275 grain Woodleigh is just about the same. I do believe the Woodleigh would be a great bullet when used against some of your grizzlies over there.

It certainly would be a great load, what loads have been working for you with the 280 gr Swift? Could be helpful with the Woodleighs.

I understand you guys have a fair bit of snow this year.

Hi Pal Looking GOOD ! :grin: The 250 Speer will thump any Blackie with authority ! You really don't need the Woodleights - save them for ME for my new 358 STA ! :shock: :grin: How many Yards can you get out of that range ? looks like maybe 250 -300 :?: :) RJ

Thanks Jim, in the bullet test section here the 250 gr Speer looks to be a performer, Mr. Bartell says they like to keep them in stock and are pretty popular for moose and bears. I would like to get my hands on some 250 gr Partitions too, those Woodleighs would be great in a big 35 for sure. The range only goes to 260 yards at the top of the cut, we shoot in clear cuts if needing more range to test bullet drop.

Good shooting gerry. I couldn't help but notice your rifle is broken or someone put your bolt in the action wrong.The handle is on the wrong side. :lol: Happy new year buddy.

The handle is just right....... :) thanks, happy new year to you too.

gerry":1vh2gdei said:
It certainly would be a great load, what loads have been working for you with the 280 gr Swift? Could be helpful with the Woodleighs.

I understand you guys have a fair bit of snow this year.

Yep, lots of snow. It is piled about eight feet high around my drive, and that's after a couple of Chinooks melted it down. Most of this came since last Friday.

I have tested W748 to 53.0 grains and A2520 to 53.5 grains with the 280 grain A-Frame. Standard deviations are exceptional, but I need to go back to the load to work with OAL. Velocities hover in the 2400 fps range, which is quite a step with those big bullets.

Thanks Mike, 2400 fps with bullets that heavy is a pretty potent load. Don't have those powders but will keep them in mind in case they are needed. Hope your snow melts soon.......

As soon as it warms a bit, I hope to get back out to the range to check seating depth with the A2520 loads. Since the standard deviations are single digits, I do believe I can make this tighten up quite a bit.

gerry I do like the looks of that 59gr load. What barrel do you have on your rifle and what is the rate of twist?

truck driver":3ac3z1jl said:
gerry I do like the looks of that 59gr load. What barrel do you have on your rifle and what is the rate of twist?

It's a 24" Benchmark stainless 1 in 12 twist, it is a copy of a Pac Nor #4 with the shank cut short so the big taper starts 1/4" ahead of the recoil lug . It certainly looks to be a high quality barrel, doesn't foul much either.

Gerry, good job with the info on the different powders and bullets with the Whelen. I try to take note and write down as referance the info for the future. Also been looking at the 260 stuff you had done.

You certainly have good taste in cartridges Bill :) I'm trying Big Game since I have a good supply of it doesn't look too bad so far. That is one good thing about this forum checking out what has worked for others, I have book marked several threads with excellent data on them.

Thanks gerry I'm still struggling with reboring or rebarreling my rifle for the Whelen. Can't make up my mind which way to go.

nvbroncrider":13w47o3z said:
Shooting with mirrors Gerry? Pretty impressive. Isn't Big Game in the 414 or 4350 burn rate?

Thinking it is in the same range as 748 maybe 760/H414, it is definitely faster than the 4350's. It seems like it would work well with the heavy bullets, ok with 250's and probably too slow with 225's. Probably would work well in your 338-06 though, it has great loading density.

TD, either a new barrel or reboring would be a good way to go, reboring would be cheaper most likely. You can't go wrong with any of the better barrel makers if you go that route.

gerry if I go with a new barrel it will be a Douglas since I have used them in the past with very good results. I can also have them chamber and install the barrel on my action.

Back