question for the guys running big wildcats

Ridge_Runner

Handloader
Sep 29, 2006
working with a 338 Edge, the data I have found is a max load for a 300 hornady A-tip is 90 gr. of H1000 for 2846 fps. am now at 2823 with 92 gr. H1000. running fed. 215's and they are not starting to flatten, no casehead expansion. do I go up a grain? going to anyways probably but want your input, especialy Fotis cause he shoots a lot of big jugs. what say yee?

I think I would run the numbers through QL to get a rough idea of where the pressures are running and go from there. Knowing what your case capacity is would be needed for a more accurate prediction from QL.
FWIW, as it sits now your 338 300 gr bullet at 2823 fps is a potent load.

JD338

I think I would run the numbers through QL to get a rough idea of where the pressures are running and go from there. Knowing what your case capacity is would be needed for a more accurate prediction from QL.
FWIW, as it sits now your 338 300 gr bullet at 2823 fps is a potent load.

JD338
the purpose of this rifle is to take a whitetail at 1 mile (1760 yards) so I want all I can get out of it.

Have you considered the 265 ABLR?
BC is .732 and it's running 2900 fps in my 338 RUM. I'm guessing you could hit 3k in the Edge.

JD338

I’ve had the 338 Jarrett up to 3000 and a little with a 250 grain bullet. I did see case head expansion at velocity But no sticky bolt lift. Went up a grain, RL 26. Almost needed a mallet to open the bolt. Went from nothing to a big problem pretty quick. I’ve backed off, 2950 with a 250 will easily shoot flat enough to hit anything I’m going to shoot at.
I haven’t bothered with the 300s or even the 265 338s’ damn thing kicks hard enough as it is. Every time I pull the trigger snot comes out of my nose.

I always wear a bandanna when hunting with the Jarrett so I can wipe the snot off the ocular lens Thankfully I’ve never had to shoot anything twice with it.

working with a 338 Edge, the data I have found is a max load for a 300 Hornady A-tip is 90 gr. of H1000 for 2846 fps. am now at 2823 with 92 gr. H1000. running fed. 215's and they are not starting to flatten, no casehead expansion. do I go up a grain? going to anyways probably but want your input, especially Fotis cause he shoots a lot of big jugs. what say ye?
How many times has the brass been fired so far?
How many rounds down the barrel?
I would rather have non-high pressure load, as long as you you are single digits for your extreme spread.
One mile shots take everything to be in your favor.

How many times has the brass been fired so far?
How many rounds down the barrel?
I would rather have non-high pressure load, as long as you you are single digits for your extreme spread.
One mile shots take everything to be in your favor.
new ADG brass, have less than 20 rounds through it

As I said, no pressure signs, none, primers are still round on the edges. A tech at sierra once told me that when using fed215 primers, due to the soft cups of them, do not assume its high pressure if a flat fed. 215 is all you see. wait till you see one more sign such as ejector marks, heavy bolt lift, sticky extraction, then back down

You guys who legitamately possess the skill to shoot a mile amaze me. Played around with it a little, up graded my optics some, but I’m testing my self to shoot consistently at much shorter distance. Good luck, Looking forward to your reports.

I would choose the weight charge with the lowest SD for that distance. I’m guessing you’re running a 30” barrel.
I wonder what N570 would give you. I tried it in the 340 Wby with 300gr CC , just too bulky to get where I wanted to be.

I would choose the weight charge with the lowest SD for that distance. I’m guessing you’re running a 30” barrel.
I wonder what N570 would give you. I tried it in the 340 Wby with 300gr CC , just too bulky to get where I wanted to be.
Been looking for some RE33, have read good things about it in the edge

Did get around to measuring the test group from yesterday, 3 shots at 225 yards went . 162"
Excellent
I would annneal after every firing. Your barrel may or may not speed up as you continue to shoot it. Your shoulders won’t fully form until your second or third firing, so be aware of your shoulder bump.
What kind of chronograph?

Excellent
I would annneal after every firing. Your barrel may or may not speed up as you continue to shoot it. Your shoulders won’t fully form until your second or third firing, so be aware of your shoulder bump.
What kind of chronograph?
caldwell

Back