FIELD TESTING THE 338 200GR. E-TIP

DrMike said:
Those darker phase bears over your way are certainly attractive. What did he square?

6ft. 8. nose to tail 7ft. 6. paw to paw ( fronts )
I was hopeing for a lighter bear but there was another hunting party in the area and lots of wind. This guy is bigger than my last bear and I wanted one for the wall. I saw a small amount of color when he turned so down he went. I was really pleased to find he had quite a range of colors on him. Black, chocolate, Brown, and silver about the only one missing was yellow. You can guess what I will be holding out for next time.

6 K

6k! Awesome Grizzly! That is a very nice looking bear! I am always training with a back pack and hiking, so I would love to hunt sheep! Scotty

A fine bear, representative of mountain grizzlies and representative of colours seen in the area from Prince George westward. Ours tend to be lighter in colour. I've only seen one chocolate bear in the past ten years in this area.

6K,
I'm getting closer to the time I will be starting to load the 180 E-Tip for my 300 Ultra Mag. I have been following your results closely. I wonder if greater velocity would give any better results with the e-tip? That's if possible or dropping down one bullet weight size.I am hoping to get 3300 fps with the 180 out of my rifle, thinking this could also be my all around bullet for Elk and long range Mule Deer load. The E-Tip would appear to be a tougher bullet than the Barnes Product offerings to me. Agreed penetration does not seem to be a problem for you but increased velocity should enhance expansion and create greater foot pounds of energy transferred to the animal. Just my view point.

Nice pics of your trophy animals, the 338 for sure puts the hammer down. :grin:

Don

Well I hope you all had a good Christmas.
I have a few minutes so I thought I would try to post a few more pics.

[attachment=0]P9280721.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]P9290254.JPG[/attachment]

Don,
I agree more vel. would ensure expansion, but I am sure I am pretty near the max @ 3150. I think that should be enough anyhow. I just haven't figured out why the E-tip hasn't left big exit wounds yet. I'm just going to have to get out there and hit some more critters with them :wink:.
I have come up with a slogan for next years' hunting season. " Hit no bone " If I can do this a number of times and watch animal reaction and do a good autopsy of internal damage then I should be able to come up with a more grounded reason/analysis of bullet performance to report on.

Later folks,

Attachments

• P9290254.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 468
  • P9280721.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 468
Wow, those moose are slammers, especially the top one! Sounds like a great plan for the 200 Etip. Out of curiosity, why do you shoot the Etip vs a PT or something like that? Scotty

beretzs said:
Wow, those moose are slammers, especially the top one! Sounds like a great plan for the 200 Etip. Out of curiosity, why do you shoot the Etip vs a PT or something like that? Scotty

Ya the second pic really puts the mass of the brute in the top one in perspective.
Wish I was the shooter but at least he got taken with my E-Tip load.
I will probably get flack for this, but the reason I don't use PTs is......................
I don't like the fact they always loose their front 45%.
Before you all start pounding on me, I didn't say they don't work. I won't even argue the fact that they do kill quite well. I just have never seen a recovered one with the front in tact. I've just looked for a bullet that retains more of its' wieght that's all. Heck I even recomended them to one friend of mine. There was not alot in the way of selection for his 8mm Remmington. He primarily hunts moose and deer told me he wanted a bullet that would be available and work well. Nosler 200gr. PT fit that bill. No complaints from him so far.

6 K

No problem 6K, fair enough, I understand that rationale. Glad Nosler has a bullet for all of us! Scotty

Nice Bulls for sure. The big one is a brute indeed.
Did the 338 200 gr E-Tip exit?

JD338

6k,
I'm curious, what internal damage are you witnessing with game taken so far with the E-tip?
As far as the expansion you mentioned it could be the E-tip is just a tougher bullet vs others in the same class, but energy transfered and internal damage accounts for its ability to kill game.

Don

JD338 said:

Nice Bulls for sure. The big one is a brute indeed.
Did the 338 200 gr E-Tip exit?

JD338

The first one though the chest @15yds did, the next two, 1 long angled through the chest (back to front) and the one sideways through the neck vertabre @ 150yds were recovered. Pics of the bullets poster earlier.

6 K

DON said:
6k,
I'm curious, what internal damage are you witnessing with game taken so far with the E-tip?
As far as the expansion you mentioned it could be the E-tip is just a tougher bullet vs others in the same class, but energy transfered and internal damage accounts for its ability to kill game.

Don

This is part of what is holding me back from proclaiming the E-Tip to be the first true all distance, all game bullet. There seems to be a significant (or at least adaquate) amount of damage to internal tissue, but lack of big gapping exit wounds. Both chest shot moose have not been planted. I can't explain this yet, but anyone with any amount of experience knows that each animal reacts differently. So I have to work on taking several animals with as close to the same shot (bullet placement and distance ect.) and then make careful observations in animal reaction and autopsy.

I plan to start the spring off with a couple of blk bears and try hard for chest shots.
With "hit no bone" as the ideal situation.

6 K

Got ya on that. I must say I shot a doe with the 35 Whelen this past fall with the 225 AB at 60 yds. The 225 in .358 is a stout bullet, load goes 2677 fps. Although I didn't see a large exit hole after going thru the frontal chest area and base neck area the spent energy and adequate internal damage did the trick.Exit hole was quarter in size.

Can I question what are the key things you are looking for out of the e-tip?

I like the design of the e-tip, as I have read so far, much different than another brand design, being prone to shearing off the petals. I have not started my quest with the e-tip as of yet.
Soon I hope. :)

Don

Back