35 whelen

Man, the case bullets are addictive Mike. Watch out, pretty soon you will be hoarding wheel weights and making your own! I know they really shoot well out of my 44 Rem Mag. Haven't had a chance to try the ones I loaded in the 45-70 yet, but I suspect much of the same! Scotty

Scotty,

I'm always on the lookout for bullets to test in my lever guns, and these might work very well in both my 356 and my 375. At least, it would be fun testing them.

I can say without a doubt, the Beartooth Cast bullets really shoot well in my 44 and our very nice to load. Scotty

I was informed that a brand spanking new Hart barrel arrived for my Ruger Hawkeye. I'm going with a faster twist than the 1:16 that came stock. I may pillar bed the rifle in addition. This is my answer to Scotty's 25-06 CDL. It is a problem child.

beretzs":2jrxhl30 said:
Paul, thanks for the heads up. You are right, I forgot I have a Remington with a 1-16 barrel on it. I think my Browning BLR 358 is faster though. Scotty

No problem. I believe the BLR uses a 1 in 12" twist as does the savage M99. For some silly reason, I ened up with two Tang safety Ruger M77s and they have a 1 in 16" twist. Makes me wonder? When Winchester brought out the .358, they used a 1 in 12" twist. Why did Ruger go with a 1 in 16"? Beats he heck out of me. :?:
Paul B.

bob_dobalina":36l99bn9 said:
seems to be alot of interest in it lately - what's this caliber all about? what kind of hunting applications is it best suited for? bear? mid range shooting?
thanks

Bob, what do you think of the Whelen now! Have we convinced you enough yet? Scotty

scotty - i am convinced! the whelen is on my hit list - sounds like a pretty cool caliber that would make great bear/moose gun. i am more of the shoot one rifle well kind of guy but i do have my eye on a few guns lately, probably from reading these forums!

Bob, the sad fact of the matter is if you get the Whelen, and put a good scope on it, you will be covered from Whitetails through Moose without much want, unless you are a REALLY long range shooter. I love my Whelen. Really is alot of good HP in a nice package. Good luck with your rifle, I hope you find one you like, I can't imagine it would let you down, ever. Nosler has us covered too, with the 225gr AB and the 225-250gr PT's. Really makes for a versatile cartridge with alot of authority. Scotty

I agree with Scotty,

The 35 Whelen is capable of taking game up to Moose out to 350 yds.

JD338

Heck, if I ever get the chance to hunt moose again, it will be the Whelen stoked with 250gr PT's. The only real upgrade I wanna do to the Whelen is put a 2.5x8 VX3 with B&C reticle on it. I think it would be the ultimate rifle. I can't see any moose walking far with a 250gr PT in its ribs! It is almost ashame to use the Whelen on deer, it is like clubbing a fly with a 4x4! Scotty

In Mississippi we have some rather strange rules with regard to the 'primitive weapons' seasons. The rules state that a single-shot, breech-loading, exposed-hammer rifle in 35 caliber or larger is legal. I suppose the original motivation was to allow use of old Trapdoor Springfields and such. Initially, everyone rushed to Handi-Rifles, High Walls, and Encores in .45-70 or .38-55. Then some enlightened soul realized that Thompson made a 35 Whelen barrel for the Encore. So now scope-sighted 35 Whelen Encores are the top of the food chain in the 'primitive weapon' category.

Wow, that is a great "primitive" weapon! Man, talk about having your cake and eating it too! Scotty

I never thought of the Contender as "primitive." However, if I lived there, I would undoubtedly have one chambered in 35 Whelen.

Everything is realative. I guess if you shoot a RUM, SAUM, or WSM, the '06 case is primitive! :mrgreen:

I would use a single shot 35 Whelen in a heart beat!

JD338

For sure, a Contender chambered in 35 Whelen would be a powerful tool in the hands of a hunter.

Man, I guess, I wouldn't feel too bad hunting pretty much anything with that combo. Scotty

I guess it's a good thing that nobody around here sells Encore frames... with my RADD problems...

I know I would like Va to have a primitive season like that. Talk about a cool rifle for thumping deer! Plus, with an Encore you could probably use a 26-28" barrel and get some real speed out of the Whelen, that would put it right into 338WM territory. Scotty

Back