350 rem mag with TAC

SJB358":1ebidbyk said:
OU812":1ebidbyk said:
DrMike":1ebidbyk said:
I can't get the 225 AB to work in the magazine in my 673. The 200 grain TSX works just fine, however.

That is what I was thinking for my 700 as well. 2.800 give or take is max box length. I think the 200 tsx would be great for deer.

Bill

Darn Remington's anyhow!

Not sure why they made the box so short? Oh well the 225 partitions fit and shoot great, well with 748 anyway. I will say TAC got me over a 100 fps more speed than did 748.

For sure, there isn't much "wiggle room" in the magazine. 2.800 inches is it. End of story.

DrMike":3m6u7btg said:
For sure, there isn't much "wiggle room" in the magazine. 2.800 inches is it. End of story.

I think I pushed it out to 2.801 once back in my wilder days and that was enough for me. :p

I think I pushed it out to 2.801 once back in my wilder days and that was enough for me.

That is about right. Mine just slip into the magazine. There isn't any particular danger of anything falling in front of the bullet--there is no room.

DrMike":300ymk92 said:
I think I pushed it out to 2.801 once back in my wilder days and that was enough for me.

There isn't any particular danger of anything falling in front of the bullet--there is no room.

No there isn't. I don't think there is enough room for recoil to set the bullet back, the shell would have to be able to move back and forth first and that is not going to happen.

Well I shot for accuracy today and I have to say I was pleased with the one load I had hoped would shoot well. 60 grains of TAC, 225 NP @ 2725 fps shot 1.140 for a 3 shot group at 100 yards, 2.75 inches high dead center.

I'm sure I could tinker a bit and shrink the group size but why? It's an elk rifle that was bought to use in dark timber and if I miss an elk with a 1.140 sized group a .50 sized group would not have changed the out come.

Bill

OU812":3m04k1uv said:
Well I shot for accuracy today and I have to say I was pleased with the one load I had hoped would shoot well. 60 grains of TAC, 225 NP @ 2725 fps shot 1.140 for a 3 shot group at 100 yards, 2.75 inches high dead center.

I'm sure I could tinker a bit and shrink the group size but why? It's an elk rifle that was bought to use in dark timber and if I miss an elk with a 1.140 sized group a .50 sized group would not have changed the out come.

Bill

Sounds good Bill. It'll flatten them for sure!

SJB358":wcvrod6y said:
OU812":wcvrod6y said:

Bill

Sounds good Bill. It'll flatten them for sure!

Scotty It will do that for sure. I hope this is what I am carrying when it's go time. If for some reason we don't draw our tags over east I will be hunting on the wife's property, lots of elk and the 350 will be the only rifle of choice.

Bill

Bill,

I know the 200 grain TSX will flatten elk right smartly. I have no doubt that the 225 grain PT will perform just as well, if not better.

DrMike":bjaoq2wg said:
Bill,

I know the 200 grain TSX will flatten elk right smartly. I have no doubt that the 225 grain PT will perform just as well, if not better.

Mike my 200 gr TSX's just arrived yesterday and I will be giving them a test drive here shortly. Hope they shoot half as good as they do for you.

Bill

JD338":29aqwjq0 said:
Bill,

Sounds like you are set to go buddy.

JD338

I think I am other than getting some time and weather to get out and shoot a little farther out to see what happens. I'm thinking 300 yards would be good.

Bill

OU812":x4iv3hgx said:
JD338":x4iv3hgx said:
Bill,

JD338

I think I am other than getting some time and weather to get out and shoot a little farther out to see what happens. I'm thinking 300 yards would be good.

Bill

I agree Bill, you are covered from 30 ft to 300 yds. The 225 gr PT is a very robust bullet and will get into the vitals of an elk from any sane angle.

JD338

JD338":3qrunu80 said:
OU812":3qrunu80 said:
JD338":3qrunu80 said:
Bill,

JD338

Bill

I agree Bill, you are covered from 30 ft to 300 yds. The 225 gr PT is a very robust bullet and will get into the vitals of an elk from any sane angle.

JD338

The 350 with a 225 has a little more poop than I realized even at 300 and 400 yards, which is farther than I would shoot with it but interesting all the same.

Bill

OU812":2eswerah said:
The 350 with a 225 has a little more poop than I realized even at 300 and 400 yards, which is farther than I would shoot with it but interesting all the same.

Bill

Bill, I am not scared in the least of smashing an elk at 400 with the 225/250 in the Whelen. If you have your drops figured out, I can't see an elk being difficult at all for either of them. They are both still packing nearly 2,000Ftlbs at that range and no elk is going to like that! Plus, the speeds are still high enough to ensure expansion. It doesn't give up too much to the 338WM to be honest in the real world. At least not to me.

SJB358":2dwe33t0 said:
OU812":2dwe33t0 said:

Bill

Bill, I am not scared in the least of smashing an elk at 400 with the 225/250 in the Whelen. If you have your drops figured out, I can't see an elk being difficult at all for either of them. They are both still packing nearly 2,000Ftlbs at that range and no elk is going to like that! Plus, the speeds are still high enough to ensure expansion. It doesn't give up too much to the 338WM to be honest in the real world. At least not to me.

Scotty I'm with ya on the energy and the potential of the 225 at 400 yards but things would have to be very right with lots of practice at 400, but I'll get to that this spring and summer. Just cause i use it in the timber does not mean I won't see elk in the open and at a distance.

To be sure, the farthest I've shot an elk with my 350 RM is about 190 yards. However, he dropped right smartly at the shot. With a 225 PT, I have no doubt that the impact would be terrific.

DrMike":scsfk25n said:
To be sure, the farthest I've shot an elk with my 350 RM is about 190 yards. However, he dropped right smartly at the shot. With a 225 PT, I have no doubt that the impact would be terrific.

Mike was that with a TSX?

Bill

DrMike":27w6k9hk said:
That was with a 200 grain TSX.

I have lots of faith in the TSX. Ya know, I really like my little 350 and the more I dig around the better I like it.

Bill

Back