357 Hunting Load

Bob Malone

Beginner
Aug 15, 2006
Any one use the 180 357 Nosler for big game. Looks like they would work well on deer,boar, and black bear.

The 357 Mag is on the light side as a big game round so you will need to keep your shots under 50 yds.
I would go with a 44 Mag 250 gr PT or a 454 Casull 260 gr PT.

JD338

I would question thw 180's ability to expand at 357 speeds.

I have a 357mag S&W performance center 327 tactical with aimpoint dot sight mounted on it and have been killing wild hogs like crazy the last month over a dozen so far and going out this evening to try again. I am using reloaded ammo with nolser 180gr HG bullets and 180gr XTP bullets at around 1100 FPS. It is destroying them and blowing out both sides of hogs weighing over 200+lbs and even exited one huge boar almost 300lbs with nice big cutters after taking ribs out on both sides with a 40 yard shot. I can't see how such a load would not be considered OK for deer. Around here a mature 5.5 year old buck weighs under 200lbs live weight. The hogs I have been shooting weight more and also have much thicker hide and bigger bones which would be a much harder test than a thin skinned deer. If you have ever skinned a wild hog you know how thick the hide is a deer's hide is nothing even close in thickness plus wild hogs are often coated with dryed mud in their hair. I feel a 357 with 180gr load and a well placed shot should kill any deer walking within normal shooting ranges. I would not try to crush a shoulder just go for a good heart/lung shot and all should be good.

The Federal 180 gr Cast Core is a excellent load in the 357 Mag......I use the same bullet in my handloads.....very tough bullet!

Also use the Sierra 180 FPJ.

6" Colt Python[/url]

Back