358 and 416 question

DrMike":3a77wzwu said:
The 99 is a true classic in 358. The primary weakness is the wrist of the stock which is known to crack on many Model 99s. It is not unusual to find older Model 99s with repairs to the wrist. The Model 88 chambered in 358 is interesting, if only for the rarity of the chambering. The primary deficit of the Model 88 is getting one to shoot accurately. I agree that the BLR is a great rifle. Given my choice of the three, the BLR definitely would get my nod (and it has done so on three occasions now). This is especially the case when the rifle is being used for field work and not primarily as a collector's item.

I do agree that a CZ would be a good move. I'm not certain I agree that the Model 70 action takes second place to the Model 98 action. Of course, I'm biased (a confirmed Model 70 crank). I do have both actions in rifles, and the Model 70 has never let me down, either in larger bore rifles or in smaller bore rifles. Having said that, I did own one CZ, and I liked it a lot.

There is a lot of sentiment for controlled-round feed on dangerous game rifles. I've heard people speak of the fact that one can chamber a cartridge in a Mauser even when the rifle is upside down. I've never been in a situation when I was chambering while hanging upside down, so I don't know about that. I am a certified Winchester crank, but I wouldn't turn town a Remington chambered in 416 Remington. Were I to make a choice, I would likely opt to secure a Model 70 Safari Express chambered in 416 Remington, or even a Model 70 Alaskan chambered in 375 H&H. There, opinions are pretty much worth what you pay for them, and these are my opinions.

I'm in Mikes camp in regards to his picks.

Have sampled enough to know what I like in regards to triggers, safety's, and function. The 70, Rugers, and Montanas are where I'd be looking if I wanted a Rigby. Honestly, the 416 Rem or Roger seem tough to beat from a component standpoint, but that doesn't slow many of us down.

Same for the BLR. Great rifles and with a little bit of work the triggers are very serviceable.

If nothing else you could buy that one and rebarrel it to get exactly what you want.

I think they make 3 position safeties for Mausers but I'm not sure if it would work on the 550. The safety is similar to most Mausers and Weatherbies.

Hi Scotty

My name is not Nathan, but the answer is yes, but not from the factory on the 416 Rigby. They can be ordered with a three position safety on other calibers from the factory, but the largest is the 9.3 x 62.

However, Holland and Holland does ( our will ) do so at the factory on their 416 Rigby

Remember the old song, it is 5 o'clock somewhere. Well that happens to be right now here in London, and I am headed to my favorite watering hole in about one minute LOL

Best Regards

Jamila

I will not get into the discussion on the calibres or the actions, however I am just letting you know that I have had the pleasure of hunting with both Gil & the good Doctor. I know that the Doctor is a man of very strong moral character (y) but how can I talk down on a fellow lefty :lol: .
If you listen to them you would think that one could not survive without the other and I am not sure which one is more dependent :mrgreen: but I can tell you there will always be room in any camp that I am in for both of them (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Africa Huntress":2dgj10rf said:
Hi Scotty

My name is not Nathan, but the answer is yes, but not from the factory on the 416 Rigby. They can be ordered with a three position safety on other calibers from the factory, but the largest is the 9.3 x 62.

However, Holland and Holland does ( our will ) do so at the factory on their 416 Rigby

Remember the old song, it is 5 o'clock somewhere. Well that happens to be right now here in London, and I am headed to my favorite watering hole in about one minute LOL

Best Regards

Jamila

Most likely they cut it off a 9.3x62 because the action size changes, along with the bolt diameter, and the 3 position safety won't work on the larger bolt. Both the Montana and Granite Mountain actions use 3 position safeties. And of course H&H like Jamila mentioned.

http://montanarifleco.com/?page_id=262

http://www.granitemountainarms.com/african.html

Scotty, I do want to put this in perspective however. I have visited the Granite Mountain, Montana, H & H and Mayfield Engineering facilities and they all make excellent products but an action from Montana for the 416 Rigby with a three position safety is approx 1500 dollars, Granite Mountain and Mayfield Engineering with a three position safety, are over 3000 dollars and it cost me over 3000 dollars just to tour the Holland and Holland factory ( I am joking about the admission cost to H & H, but you get the idea )

Gil, I "think" I understand what you are saying about Dr Mike, as I know he turned down an opportunity to canoe down the Yukon river with three young ladies in their twenties, he would not have been required to paddle, cook, pitch the tent at night, just float along the river and take pictures. Just helping Gil give you a bad time Dr Mike (-;

Yeah, April, but my snoring throughout the day, rocked into diurnal somnolence by the motion of the canoe, would have quickly rendered me "persona non grata" with those three young ladies. (I hate being persona not grata.) Alas, 'twas not to be, as advanced age has taken a dreadful toll on my person.

DrMike":9iipg7n7 said:
Yeah, April, but my snoring throughout the day, rocked into diurnal somnolence by the motion of the canoe, would have quickly rendered me "persona non grata" with those three young ladies. (I hate being persona not grata.) Alas, 'twas not to be, as advanced age has taken a dreadful toll on my person.

Dr Mike, I hear you. I was recently asked if I wanted to meet some people for dinner and I said yes what time. they replied about nine p.m.---I told them I was asleep by nine p.m.

Europe":1xinop87 said:
DrMike":1xinop87 said:

Dr Mike, I hear you. I was recently asked if I wanted to meet some people for dinner and I said yes what time. they replied about nine p.m.---I told them I was asleep by nine p.m.

Yup, asleep by nine and I turn into a pumpkin at midnight. :shock: It ain't no sin to grow old, but it sure is inconvenient. I treasure all the small benefits. I just renewed my membership in the Dawson Creek Sportsman's Club. My dues for this current year are $20 less than if I was still of working age. Bonus for the old guy. (y) Wow! A fishing licence for one dollar! Big bonus! (y) 'Course, I have to have enough energy to go fishing, so that can be a problem. :mrgreen:

I can comment on the BLR and M99 in .358 as I have both. The BLR is reasonably accurate now that I've tinkered with the forearm fit. I did take it from a 2.5" gun to running right at one inch now. My biggest dislike is I find it to be a bit too muzzle light. Too much weight to the rear. Carries well and shoots good. Frankly, I haven't a single animal with it.
The Savage M99 I have is their latest version with the beaver tail forearm. This one is also quite accurate running 1.0 to 1.25" depending on the load. Gun is fairly heavy so recoil is mild.
I also have two Ruger M77's in .358 Win. :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Someone mentioned the 1895 Winchester. I have the Browning clone of that rifle and I've given some thought to having it rebored to .38 Whelen.
I'll probably put the BLR and Savage on my table next time I do a gun show. They've been safe queens for far too long.
Paul B.

And I'd be at your table as soon as you put the Savage on the block--if there wasn't a border between us. Actually, it would likely remain a "safe queen" even with me since I have two .358s (a BLR and a Ruger Hawkeye).

Since Cheyenne is enamoured of her lever rifles, Gil asked that a picture of his lever guns be posted.

Left to Right:
Browning BLR 358 Win
Winchester Model 88 284 Win
Winchester Model 94 Big Bore 356 Win
Marlin Model 336 BGL 30-30 Win
Marlin Model 375S 375 Win
Marlin Model 1984S 41 Rem Mag

Missing:
Winchester Model 88 338 Federal
(Being rebarrelled from 308 Win)

To be replaced at some point:
Winchester Model 94 Big Bore 375 Win
Browning Model 71 348 Win
Browning Model 1886 45/70
Browning Model 65 218 Bee
Browning Model BL-22

Yet to own:
Sako Finnwolf 243 Win
Savage Model 99 250 Savage
Winchester Model 1873
Marlin Model 336 35 Remington
Marlin Model 336M 356 Win

Thanks Mike!

I know in another thread you shared some pics of your lever guys, and others were asking for more pics as well.

Wasn't meaning to take this thread off course, but start a new thread...should have known you would still be up working on your sermon for Sunday! LOL
P.S. Same goes for other e-mail I just sent you!

PJGunner":16l02mlf said:
I can comment on the BLR and M99 in .358 as I have both. The BLR is reasonably accurate now that I've tinkered with the forearm fit. I did take it from a 2.5" gun to running right at one inch now. My biggest dislike is I find it to be a bit too muzzle light. Too much weight to the rear. Carries well and shoots good. Frankly, I haven't a single animal with it.
The Savage M99 I have is their latest version with the beaver tail forearm. This one is also quite accurate running 1.0 to 1.25" depending on the load. Gun is fairly heavy so recoil is mild.
I also have two Ruger M77's in .358 Win. :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Someone mentioned the 1895 Winchester. I have the Browning clone of that rifle and I've given some thought to having it rebored to .38 Whelen.
I'll probably put the BLR and Savage on my table next time I do a gun show. They've been safe queens for far too long.
Paul B.

I'd love to see that Savage Paul.

Paul,

You should send Cheyenne a note about your 99. She's currently looking for a 358 to add to her levergun rifle battery.

Back