358 bullets

tjen

Handloader
Apr 25, 2007
Was hoping for spitzer shaped 225gr AccuBond as a cheapper option to the Partition that would work in the 358win and 350rem, what happed? I have lots of 200gr interlocks and corelokts that work just fine at 358win velocities, and am looking for a cheapper 225gr/358cal bullet.

I have worked up loads for the 225PT at 2430fps and am happy with them for hunting. I did try a new bullet to me a Hawk 225gr RT with a .030" jacket for a fast expanding deer load. It work great but I give up 100fps and they cost just as much as partitions do.

I simple spitzer shaped AB in 225gr would work in the 358win and all 358 cals on up better than 200gr. most 35 cal guy aren,t looking for just speed even the norma and other wild cats need 225gr bullets or heavier.

I have been tied H322, TAC, H4895, AA2230 with the 358win and settle so far with H322 for 200gr bullets and H4895 for 225gr bullets. I need to test TAC more to see how it does.

What bullets have you used in the 358win and what powders? any VV powders?

I've used both the 200 grain TSX and the 225 grain TSX in either of my 358 Winchesters. Each gave reasonable velocities and good accuracy. I've also shot 250 grain Hornady SP to good effect. In fact, I used this particular load to take a fair sized bison a few years past. I've also loaded up the 225 grain AB and the 225 grain PT in either of my rifles chambered in this cartridge. I've also shot the 225 grain Sierra SBT and the 250 grain Speer in my rifles. They have each worked well. Powders that I've used include 10X, RL19, A2495, A2015, IMR3031, IMR4895, IMR4320, Varget, H335, H322, BL-C(2), Benchmark, TAC and W748. I have VN133 and VN135 to work with in the future.

I'm with ya but we've spoken about this subject before. I've been sending Speer e-mails from numerous accounts begging them to release the Deep Curl in .358 and 225gr. Yeah, I'm like that... They're our last hope. Hornady and Nosler seem to have made up their minds to not release a protected point bullet in this weight. The Sierra SGK shoots good in my BLR but its soft point gets chewed up whenever it gets fed. I'm assuming the Partition will too. I'm going to work on a Partition load this summer for it. Hopefully things will be different.

I have 1 lb. of TAC which I haven't tried to date. Was saving it for this summer's load workups. Gonna try the 225gr SGK and Partition and some 250gr Grand Slams I have with it.

I've used Hornady PSP and Rem CoreLokt in 200gr with IMR-3031, Varget and W-748. The W-748 was the best but not worthy. I also tried some Hornady FTX 200 gr over Varget but I haven't finished shooting that load. It seems to have the most potential of the 200gr bullets I've tried so far.

I have used the 225gr SGK over the same powders and have decent experiences with the -3031 and W748. The W748 gave me equivalent accuracy but had some pressure signs. I'd like to re-explore it though.

These are all 358Win loads.

I have a young moose hunting guide that just got a new Ruger Hawkeye in .358 as he already had a Savage 99/ reciever sight in .358. So wanted a bolt gun with a scope on it for poor light conditions and line it up at 200yds, to go with it for longer shots. He really only wants to be hauling ONE box of shells around. He mostly uses the Savage for tracking deer on snow,[and he is good at it] and alot of the shots are fast, when you finally catch up to them hence the peep sight. However you do feel naked when you come around the corner in the truck and there is a Big Buck, standing down in the woods road at 300 yds with a gun lined up at 100yds! He did some research on the internet, and ordered himself and bunch of 225gr bullets in both Accubonds and Sierra BTs he also decided to try this TAC powder [which I know nothing about]. If any one has any good ideas where to start or proven loads for this combination of powder and bullet weight he would certainly appreaciate hearing about it?????
Scotty shared his 45gr of W748 with me and I have some of that here if the TAC doesnt work out but he thinks that is going to be the "Bees Knees' for the little .358

There is some TAC load info for the 358Win in a Reloader magazine issue from mid-2009-ish. I have it somewhere. It was an article comparing the 338Fed and 358Win. I want to say John Barsness wrote the article. Very hot loads they were with no compression issues.

I was just pawing around looking for some tradjectory info on the 225gr bullets going 2700fps and saw some old loading data for the .358 Norma Magnum and got quite a shock the # 10 Speer manual listed the Norma hotest load as 76 GRAINS of 4350 to get 2700 fps!!!!!!!!!! I think the 35 W crowd is getting 26oo with 60 grs of RL15 so I guess I never thought about how much MORE powder you would have to stuff into one of those magnum cases to out do these little 35! I am going to say that Norma with 76 grains of powder is something I would only want to shoot off a "lead sled" and I cant imagine lugging one of those around in the woods all day!!! Having never shot one I cant say for sure but that is sounding like some wicked recoil to me and one may want to keep a strap on his eyeglasses if you need them yet!

"I think the 35 W crowd is getting 26oo with 60 grs of RL15...."

I'm getting 2710 FPS from my Whelen with 60.4 gr. of RL15 and the 225 gr. Barne TSX. Works for me. 8)
Paul B.

CatskillCrawler":11rt06c3 said:
There is some TAC load info for the 358Win in a Reloader magazine issue from mid-2009-ish. I have it somewhere. It was an article comparing the 338Fed and 358Win. I want to say John Barsness wrote the article. Very hot loads they were with no compression issues.
I ve read it its matching the 338fed in pressure to making it apple to apples the 358win loads would be +P. We could use some +P data for358win bolt guns. I think he had 2550fps for 225gr loads and 2700fps with 200gr bullets. I will wait for it in a manual though I load +P inthe 35Rem. the 200 gr loads used something like Benchmark or VV133???

May data shows my groups getting tighter as I get to listed max and if I could add .5 to 1.0gr I MIGHT get both MOA and 2500 fps using 225gr bullets or just blow up. I have not seen a single sign of pressure yet and am not that brave to go untill I see something

I am running the 225 PT with W748 in the 358. It runs right at 2450 or so. I have no reason to change that load at all. Shoots as well as I can shoot the rifle at this point and that speed allows me to reach as far as I would like in the 358.

2700 with a 225 is really pretty danged easy Earle in a 35 Whelen. I ran the same load as PJ did with the 225 TSX and recorded just slightly faster speeds, but it could have been my chrono or set up. I wouldn't be overly surprised to get 2800 out of the 225 AB were I ever to try them.

As for cheap 225's, well, the Sierra's are that bullet for me. Pretty decent bullet to practice with and if kept to 358 speeds, I think it is fairly tough. I wouldn't ever use it for hunting, as I like the PT's more, but if I were cornered, I am pretty sure they are plenty tough. The only animal I have taken with them is a 140-150 WT at 40 yards. Hole in and out...

A Speer DC in 225 would be a bullet to be reckoned with. Price point and toughness would make it a favorite amongst us 35 cal shooters I believe. I would try them. Scotty

Back