358 Norma Magnum and BL-C (2)

When I had mine I ended up only using Big Game since it worked so well so unfortunately I can't help you. Any particular reason why you are wanting to try BLC-2?

Have you tried any loads yet? I was going to try RL 15 and H 4895 but never did, those are supposed to be excellent as well.

I'M getting ready to. I use H4895 for 180gr Barnes bullet and was not bad but my gun shot IMR3031 better and I'm getting around 3200 fps with it. Now my 358 WSSM likes H4895 with a 200gr Hornady.

Gunner, I dunno about BL-C2. It's around the right burn rate. Tried it in a few things decades ago. Unsure if it's temp sensitive or just quirky, but results weren't very memorable in anything. It's a nasty old dirty powder that left my barrels terribly fouled with some sort of hard carbonlike stuff that only JB could get out. It's one of the partial cans I tossed into the bonfire when I moved. Maybe it's been improved? Let us know how it works if you use it.

I've been using RL15, H4895, & even RL19 successfully in my longish-throated 22" barrel 358 Norma with 200s & 225s. With 225s somewhere between 2800 & 2900 fps is easily attainable with 1" or better accuracy. Sometimes much better. My older lot of H4895 shines with the 225 AccuBond. Shot with a 5x scope, the 4-shot 5-group series from 68 (2817fps) to 70gr (2909fps) averaged just under 3/4" at 80*. Norma brass & Fed. 215s.

I'm also working with PP2000MR with 200s since it did so well in my Whelen. It's slow going in 1/2 gr increments with no available data, but I broke 3100fps yesterday with 200s. 20 shots with 10 different powder charges shot into 3" with no particular care taken except not to hit the skyscreens. It may run out of powder space before pressuring out. Starting at 66gr, I'm now at 79 & still climbing, but it looks promising with the 200s, maybe with the 225s as well. Will be doing accuracy testing with the 3100+ loads next.

The 20 pieces of 35 year old Norma brass I've been beating up on lately have begun splitting necks due to some debris (it looked like a sliver of brass from the belt) that found its way into the chamber. To save the rest of the Norma brass stash, I've started using PPU 300 WinMag brass reformed. Nice stuff so far & its capacity is real close to the Norma stuff going by velocity/powder charge data. Plus it's cheap. A tapered expander & a preset 358 NM sizing die sets headspace to the shoulder in one pass. Trim if needed & shoot with a slightly reduced load. I used 32gr SR4759 with a 250gr GC cast bullet for about 1900fps & shoulders filled out nicely while shooting offhand at rocks. It might kill deer to 150 yards too. It seems to be maybe a little more work for a better outcome than using too short 338 WinMag brass.

It's great shooting weather here in SW VA this week. The adventures continue.

I tried BLC-2 in my old 35 Whelen years ago and had the same results as 358 WCF above. Found it to burn dirty and speeds were erratic. If you have some you might want to try it but I wouldn't go out of my way to try it personally as there are other powders that are superior.

Hi I worked up a load with that BLC-2 using 73.2gr with no presser sign and I'm getting just over 3100fps now all have to do is sight it in. To get around the burn dirty I have moly coated the inside of my barrel and it help.

That's some pretty impressive speed for a 225 gr bullet. Be neat to see how well it groups for you.

I went out shooting today and sighted my gun in using 180gr Barnes and only had three 225gr rounds to shoot here the group at 100yds with the 225 gr bullets

Attachments

• IMG_20201105_115557541~2.jpg
    IMG_20201105_115557541~2.jpg
    591.1 KB · Views: 534
Love hearing about the big 35’s!

I’d wonder if 17 would work well? It really perked in my Newton. Excellent information fellas.

Once I'm done deer hunting I'll get some of that 225 grain out and do some real good shooting with it and see how she does but I think it's going to work out pretty good. This is at 3,100 ft per second

Gunner":sjzljkfb said:
Once I'm done deer hunting I'll get some of that 225 grain out and do some real good shooting with it and see how she does but I think it's going to work out pretty good. This is at 3,100 ft per second

That’s a whomping solid load!

SJB358":2s2r1vi0 said:
Gunner":2s2r1vi0 said:

That’s a whomping solid load!

I'll say, I was happy with a 200 gr TTSX at the same speed but this has an extra 25 gr at that velocity. That's a big hammer.

Yeah, one of these days I’ll get a Norma or another Newton out back together.

I may have to reassess my work with the 358 Norma Magnum. I've been focused on 280 grain A-Frames and 275 grain Woodleigh PPs. They do pack a punch on both ends of the rifle.

DrMike":21kyuxxa said:
I may have to reassess my work with the 358 Norma Magnum. I've been focused on 280 grain A-Frames and 275 grain Woodleigh PPs. They do pack a punch on both ends of the rifle.

I’d bet a 200 TTSX or 200 AccuBond would scoot right along and probably be about all a moose or elk wanted. Maybe a touch less recoil as well.

Oh, they do scoot along, Scotty. With RL26, I estimate that I'd get almost 3200 fps. For some reason, I focused on the heavier bullets from the first with this rifle. I had a large inventory of 275 grain Woodleighs and 280 grain A-Frames, and simply focused on them. As it is, I get ~2700 fps with the 275 Woodleighs and ~2630 with the 280 grain A-Frames. I have no doubt they would deliver a wallop to anything hit with them, but I doubt that either of these bullets will kill any deader than will a 200 grain TSX, a 225 grain Sierra or even a 250 grain PT (which would launch at ~2900 fps with either RL26 or RL17). I simply must do more work with these rifle.

The recoil hurt me quite a bit after my last truck crash, but I'm almost fully recovered. My last trip to the range with this rifle (loaded with 280 grain A-Frames) was manageable. I only wept a little when I torched off the rounds. However, there were times during the past three years that I didn't think I'd ever be able to handle the rifle again. I think this rifle just may accompany me this coming spring when I go out for bear again.

That’s great buddy. That is a very cool rifle and from what I remember it’s a great shooting rifle as well.

Back