358 STA

muleman":2exdzw6u said:
Ok Scotty and Jake,
I'm reading these posts and wondering what should I do? I've got a M70 300WM classic donor sitting under my bench next to a Winchester Supergrade stock and a Win double lug express stock. I was thinking 375 Ruger since I own nothing larger than a 338WM but maybe a 358 Norma would be the ticket.... What do you think?
Scott

All depends on what your hunting and how much you like recoil. The 358 Norma will easily handle anything the US has to offer, but is not much of a step up over the 338 WM due to the better BC of the .338 bullets. IMO, it is really hard to beat a 338 WM without going to a Weatherby or a RUM. A 338 WM loaded with a 250 AB is not very far behind a 375 H&H loaded with a 260 AB. The .375R will do the same, just a bit better. But the 375R comes with more recoil as well. I have shot two elk with mine, and if I get good weather it will be my elk gun. If I get crappy weather, I'll take the stainless 338 WM ( or whatever it turns into).

SJB358":2exdzw6u said:
jmad_81":2exdzw6u said:
Rem Jim":2exdzw6u said:
I think a great cartridge also ! but why not just get a 375 H&H and be done with it ? 260 gr Partition or Accubonds at 2800-2900 - whats not to like ? JMHO Jim :grin:

I'm having this same debate with my self as of late. I don't want a RUM, I have a 375R (that I love), and I have a Stainless classic M70 in a 338 WM that I have a love hate relationship with. I was thinking about making a .358/375R. Then I got to looking at the numbers between that and my 375R, and they are not very different. Now I can't make up my mind. I really like the .338 bullets, so why not just go back to a 338 WM, or a 338/375R. I have never owned a .358" anything, and have had a man crush on the 358 STA for 10+ years now.

I haven't got it all worked out yet, but I'm working on a spread sheet. Hoping that will help.

I think we are in the same boat Jake.. Why don't you go ahead and build the 358/375R and let me know how you like it!

I found a guy in Eastern Oregon built a 358/375R on the 24hr campfire (google search results got me there, I don't normally spend much time there) that has built one. I dropped him a PM and am waiting to hear back. I'll keep you posted.

muleman":1w09kl9n said:
Ok Scotty and Jake,
I'm reading these posts and wondering what should I do? I've got a M70 300WM classic donor sitting under my bench next to a Winchester Supergrade stock and a Win double lug express stock. I was thinking 375 Ruger since I own nothing larger than a 338WM but maybe a 358 Norma would be the ticket.... What do you think?
Scott

Scott, I am enamored with the 358 caliber.. It is just a versatile round. While it isn't ballistically better than a 338, since the bullets typically have a bit better BC, BUT, for me, at my style hunting ranges, I can't see anything about the 358's I don't like and heck, they have some more frontal area and that is always a good thing to me. If I had your 300WM action and a Supergrade stock, well, a 358/375 Ruger or 358 Norma would already be being built by Pacnor....

I like the beltless 375 Ruger. I think it is a great case design and necked to 358 would just about be as slick as a rifle could get in my eyes. Again, I couldn't think of much that a 225 AB or a 250 PT wouldn't handle with absolute SMASH! That Ruger case would likely push the 250 into the 2900 range and man, what a hunting cartridge.

The 375's are really cool as well, but for me, I wanna 358 Magnum of some sort.. I have a 7RM I am not likely to use anymore in a Post 64 push feed. I just don't wanna use it for the magnum. I want a claw extractor.... If it was a Classic action, I would have probably already sent it away..

SJB358 said:
I like the beltless 375 Ruger. I think it is a great case design and necked to 358 would just about be as slick as a rifle could get in my eyes. Again, I couldn't think of much that a 225 AB or a 250 PT wouldn't handle with absolute SMASH! That Ruger case would likely push the 250 into the 2900 range and man, what a hunting cartridge.
quote]

From my reading I have heard 3K plus for the 250 PT. Take it with a grain of salt though, not everything online is as they say it is. I also read that the 375R case has 2% more case capacity than the STA, above disclaimer apllies to this as well.

Here are the case capacities on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8mm_Remington_Magnum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.375_Ruger

They are exactly the same but at 8mm versus 375 the 8mm case holds more. Also the STA is blown out and holds about 3.5 grains more powder than the standard 8mm Mag. With that being said I'd do the Ruger necked down or a Dakota case for the shorter OAL. A full 8mm Mag case plays hell with long bullets. I've done about every 8mm Mag based wildcat and standard case and I'm headed to shorter and fatter also so they feed through the magazine. Doing a Wyatt mag box is relatively easy but only gains .110". With a full 2.85" case and long bullets like the .338's that just isn't enough.

You can use a .375 Ruger FL dies without the expander ball to size the body and Hornady makes a .358 neck die. If you buy Hornady FL dies you can change the insert in the seater to .358 and away you go.

That is what I was thinking. I wouldn't mind losing a few FPS in order to keep a regular long action. Plus, again, I think it would be a sweet looking round with plenty of juice. I can't see anything wrong with the 250's at 2900..

SJB358":pisi01ge said:
That is what I was thinking. I wouldn't mind losing a few FPS in order to keep a regular long action. Plus, again, I think it would be a sweet looking round with plenty of juice. I can't see anything wrong with the 250's at 2900..

The only thing that will see "wrong" :shock: with a 250 gr bullet at 2900 fps is the animal that it hits ! :grin: LOL

SJB358":1xttvpcc said:

Just do a .375 Ruger. It will help your bore size average more and 260gr AB's at 3000fps will do in anything you'll hunt in NA. .375's kill elk better anyway IMO. Easy to get brass and dies also. The 260 AB has a better BC then most .358 bullets as well. It would be legal in African countries requiring a .375 min. bore size too in case you feel the need to head over the pond. I took my .375-.358STA to Africa in 2000. Here is a picture of my Kudu shot at 513yds.

Attachments

• Me and My Kudu.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 529
IdahoCTD":33w22ada said:
SJB358":33w22ada said:

Just do a .375 Ruger. It will help your bore size average more and 260gr AB's at 3000fps will do in anything you'll hunt in NA. .

This guy has his priorities streight!

Nice Kudu BTW!

Here are a few animals shot with my buddies .358 STA that I built for him while we were in Africa. We only took 3 rifles for 4 of us and except for 1 animal we pretty much only used 2 of the 3. One was my .375-.358 STA and the other was my buddies .358 STA. The warthog was quartering away and the 225gr Sierra's took out 3 or 4 ribs going in and lodged at the base of the skull.

Attachments

• Bob and Wildebeast.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 524
  • C.J. and me with my Impala.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 524
  • C.J., I, and the pig.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 524
  • Wharthog wound.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 524
TRIC":1ai9syam said:
Curiosity has me wanting to explore something "different". Anyone have experience with this cartridge?
Curiosity might lead to insanity, of which I enjoy on a daily basis. :lol: This cartridge selection will hone one's skills in the reloading department concerning dimensions and fit. Reloaders have overcome the nuance's of "wildcating" cartridges in the search to satisfy curiosity. Dollar signs appear as a requirement. Large amounts required, :mrgreen: to be different. This wildcat has the "stats". My only requirement is can I shoot it laying on my belly more than once,as I'm a old feller and shaaaakkkkke alot. Call me tonight I can't find your ph #. :mrgreen: ROFCRS

jmad_81":2ecnc7dm said:
IdahoCTD":2ecnc7dm said:
SJB358":2ecnc7dm said:

Just do a .375 Ruger. It will help your bore size average more and 260gr AB's at 3000fps will do in anything you'll hunt in NA. .

This guy has his priorities streight!

Nice Kudu BTW!

Man, you guys are no help! HA! Hard telling what I'll do... It'll be awhile, pretty scope poor right now anyhow.

TRIC":3me4zn7y said:
Rem Jim, I like your way of thinkin. I already have a nice 375 in my Remington Ultra Mag. Was looking for something in the 35 cal family. Also, Montana Rifleman makes barrelled actions in 358 STA in twist rates of 12 and 16, which would be better?

Seeing your stuck on the 358 STA why not neck down a 375 RUM to .358 cal :?: - then you will have the whole series of RUMS :grin: - you already have the 338 & 375 RUMS - i'm thinkin you have a 7mm and a 300 RUM so why not have the whole lot all based on the same case ! :wink: I would use a 12 twist ! JMHO Jim

Rem Jim,

You're in some lovely country. I've done a bit of hunting up that way, and a whole lot more fishing. A 358 STA, or a 358-375 Ruger, would stand you in good stead anywhere in this province.

Back