358 Win

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, I have been loading and shooting my 358 Win (Browning BLR) quite a bit since I have been home. I have been working with two bullets (Speer 220 and Sierra 225). With 48gr of Varget, it shoots about 1.5" with the 225gr Sierra. With 49gr of Varget it shoot about 1.25 with the 220 Speer. So far the Speer seems pretty accurate and with 49gr of Varget, it is pretty much a max load. I cannot fit anymore Varget in there. The loads show 0 pressure signs.

I also tried IMR 3031, from my Speer book and they were more in the 2, 2.5 inch range. Nothing has really flipped my wig yet. I am still waiting on my local dealer to get some AA2520 in and also some IMR4895 or even H4895. Anyhow, just wanted to let you all know how the load development is going for the 358. I am using CCI250's for all loads. I know I don't need them, but I cannot find anything else on the shelves. They have some CCI BR4's? but they are pretty expensive, and I would like to keep stuff somewhat similar. I would like to get the 225gr Sierra to shoot at about 1.25 or so. The BLR does have a fairly heavy trigger, but it is decent. Anyhow, I will let you know how it is going as I keep working it out. Scotty

Nothing wrong with CCI250s. You'll appreciate them with ball powders. The trigger on the BLR is not spectacular, but the sear can be honed to reduce creep and it will break cleanly. I have not really used the Speer 220 FN in my BLR, though I use it in my 356 Model 94s. However, I have had some decent groups with:

47 g. IMR 3031, BAR 200 TSX
42.5 g. 10X, BAR 200 TSX
43 g. A2015, BAR 225 TSX
52 g. 748, BAR 225 TSX
44 g. RL15, HDY 250 SP
47.5 g. 748, NOS 225 PT
42.5 g. A2015, SIE 225 SBT
46 g. VARGET, SIE 225 SBT
43.5 g. 10X, SIE 225 SBT

Good to see that you are back on US soil. Enjoy the BLR.

Do not forget 748. Worked great in my 358 win.

You guys reminded me, I am thinking I am going to get some 748 and give it a whirl. Seems like it will work well. I am going to try it with some 225 Sierra's and the 225 PT if I can get my hands on some. I think my local shop has some 748, so if I can get my hands on it, I will run some loads through it. Thanks for the tips guys. I am really wanting to get one good hunting load for the 358. So far Varget is the best, but 748 seems a little more suited for it. Scotty

beretzs":3ath5qkv said:
You guys reminded me, I am thinking I am going to get some 748 and give it a whirl. Seems like it will work well. I am going to try it with some 225 Sierra's and the 225 PT if I can get my hands on some. I think my local shop has some 748, so if I can get my hands on it, I will run some loads through it. Thanks for the tips guys. I am really wanting to get one good hunting load for the 358. So far Varget is the best, but 748 seems a little more suited for it. Scotty

I have tried everything you mentioned even 748 but have not tried 2520. I will be sticking with 47grs of AA2495 with my 358win.

I am still going to try the AA2520, but I want to wait until I can get my hands on some Sierra 225SBT or 225PT's. IMR4198 is working pretty well for the 200gr HDY's, so I will stick with that. I have a good feeling that 2520 might be pretty good for the 358, and AA seems to work really well in yours. Scotty

beretzs":v508jd5a said:
Well, I have been loading and shooting my 358 Win (Browning BLR) quite a bit since I have been home. I have been working with two bullets (Speer 220 and Sierra 225). With 48gr of Varget, it shoots about 1.5" with the 225gr Sierra. With 49gr of Varget it shoot about 1.25 with the 220 Speer. So far the Speer seems pretty accurate and with 49gr of Varget, it is pretty much a max load. I cannot fit anymore Varget in there. The loads show 0 pressure signs.

I also tried IMR 3031, from my Speer book and they were more in the 2, 2.5 inch range. Nothing has really flipped my wig yet. I am still waiting on my local dealer to get some AA2520 in and also some IMR4895 or even H4895. Anyhow, just wanted to let you all know how the load development is going for the 358. I am using CCI250's for all loads. I know I don't need them, but I cannot find anything else on the shelves. They have some CCI BR4's? but they are pretty expensive, and I would like to keep stuff somewhat similar. I would like to get the 225gr Sierra to shoot at about 1.25 or so. The BLR does have a fairly heavy trigger, but it is decent. Anyhow, I will let you know how it is going as I keep working it out. Scotty

If you will trickle your powder you can get 50grs in the case and use CCI250 or Fed 215 primers. Varget will give you the greatest velocity over all the powders you could use for the 358Win except TAC which will give you more than Varget.

Varget seemed to be really accurate and I will set up the chrono next time (maybe), but I couldn't ever get more than 48gr in. I tried vibrating, trickling and about anything else. Anymore than 48 started to back the bullets out. I will try again with whatever 225's I can grab on to. I really like the 358, but I want to shoot at least 225's out of it. Those seem to be ideal bullet for it. It shoots well enough to kill deer with the HDY 200's, but I want a little better bullet for tougher stuff. Scotty

beretzs":oujtfd38 said:
Varget seemed to be really accurate and I will set up the chrono next time (maybe), but I couldn't ever get more than 48gr in. I tried vibrating, trickling and about anything else. Anymore than 48 started to back the bullets out. I will try again with whatever 225's I can grab on to. I really like the 358, but I want to shoot at least 225's out of it. Those seem to be ideal bullet for it. It shoots well enough to kill deer with the HDY 200's, but I want a little better bullet for tougher stuff. Scotty

One of the technical persons that works for Sierra carry the same rifle and cartridge you use and has killed quite a lot of large game with the 225gr SBT.

Well, if they start building them again, I will buy some more. I cannot find that bullet but I anywhere. It shot excellent out of my rifle, but I cannot find it for sale anywhere. Hopefully they start spinning up the machines. Got Devil Dogs waiting on bullets. Scotty

beretzs":2l7hwx6y said:
Well, if they start building them again, I will buy some more. I cannot find that bullet but I anywhere. It shot excellent out of my rifle, but I cannot find it for sale anywhere. Hopefully they start spinning up the machines. Got Devil Dogs waiting on bullets. Scotty

I ran out also and a friend of mine found two boxes of them in a gun store in Louisiana and bought them for me. So I have 87 left.

Man, that is a score. I need to find something. I would like to find a good load before the fall. I might just order some PT's and be done with it. If I can find a PT load that shoots well, that will be all this rifle ever needs. Scotty

beretzs":37ghtfih said:
Man, that is a score. I need to find something. I would like to find a good load before the fall. I might just order some PT's and be done with it. If I can find a PT load that shoots well, that will be all this rifle ever needs. Scotty

Yes, I was fixing to order some Partitions and my friend found those bullets. I am still going to order a box of Partitions and try them with the load data I have experienced while working up my hunting load. I figure my data will save some time, bullets and that translates into money saved.

I think there are a bunch of Seconds on BIVWAK right now. If I wasn't leaving in a day or two, I would really like to have some of those. I think the 225gr PT is probably about the best all around bullet we could stuff in the 358. Scotty

beretzs":181fnoa8 said:
I think there are a bunch of Seconds on BIVWAK right now. If I wasn't leaving in a day or two, I would really like to have some of those. I think the 225gr PT is probably about the best all around bullet we could stuff in the 358. Scotty

I can not argue that and would not because for the velocities and use of the 358Win there is not a better hunting bullet. I am just given to accuracy so much that for deer and hogs I like the 225gr SBT to give me at least 275yds without hold over. But you can count on the fact that I will be trying to find a respectable load for the 225gr Partition. Hopefully I will get this done before I go to Arizona.

In fact if Nosler would provide me the supplies I would do load work for them and show how to get accuracy out of regular hunting rifles with Partitions, Accubonds, Ballistic tips and then advertise my results by posting on forums along with my hunting stories of where and when I used Nosler bullets. It would increase sales. :lol: :lol:

I figure I will shoot the cheaper HDY's until I can get some 225's. I don't really want to burn through alot of powder until I can get one of the bullets I want. I like the Sierra and Nosler, and think they would both do a fine job in the 358 for what I intend for it. If I can get a bunch of seconds, I may not have to buy bullets for it, for a really long time. I wished everybody sold seconds. Scotty

I have loaded for and hunted deer and black bear with the .358 Winchester since 1966. I have four rifles so chambered.

I loaded the 200 gr Silvertip for decades with IMR 3031 until they stopped selling it as a component. I switched to the 180 Speer and loaded it with 4198 and other powders. These days I load it with RL 10.

Some 358's.

358f9d499dd1fj.jpg

has anyone tried the hornady 200 tsx (flex tip bullets) just wondering how they shot in someone else's rfle

Back