370 Sako Magnum?

You're right Dale. I need to head over your way, should I ever get any time off at home. As it is now, I get a half day at home when I fly in, the weekend, and I leave again Monday at around noon. I think the girlfriend - excuse me, fiance' - would not be happy with me if I left right after getting home.

Plus, SPS needs some of my money. :)

BK":1cnduwcv said:
You're right Dale. I need to head over your way, should I ever get any time off at home. As it is now, I get a half day at home when I fly in, the weekend, and I leave again Monday at around noon. I think the girlfriend - excuse me, fiance' - would not be happy with me if I left right after getting home.

Plus, SPS needs some of my money. :)

Wives, girlfriends and fiances don't tend to take that kinda thing very well.. Trust me, I have tried in the past and it never came out well for me!

Yeah, I have to take eight days off for my three day May Kokanee fishing trip!

filmjunkie4ever":vecehb3a said:
Was watching a Leopard Hunt re-run on TV the other day and saw that the gun being used was a new one on me. A 370 Sako Magnum. It appears to be a 9.3 rather than a 375 caliber. Does anyone have a rifle like this? Have been pondering a 45-70 and a 375 in my near-ish future as my bore size average is currently .306 and would like to get something a bit larger for the arsenal. You know for all of the Alaskan Brush Pounding and African Safaris I am probably never going to afford. :roll:

What are the advantages if any to getting this 370 Sako Mag vs a 375 H+H or similar?

I am currently looking into building a 370 myself.
The 370 Sako operates at 60,000 psi as opposed to the 9.3x62 working at 55,000. This gives the 370 an advantage. In quickload I was able to reach nearly 2600 fps with 250 gr bullets with the 370.
The 370 Sako comes very close to matching the 375 HH at 100 yds and surpasses the 375 HH beyond that.
The body/neck area of the 370 is 3mm longer than the 30-06 so forming brass would result in a short neck after forming.
The 370 downside is that 375HH ammo and brass is more available wherever you go in dangerous game country. 9.3x62 brass is more readily available than 370. In my search, only one place I found carried Sako brass in 370 and it was over $80 for 50 cases. I havent looked into it yet but it may be possible to make 370 from 9.3x64 Brenneke brass although still a short neck situation. I'm still looking at it. My next one will be something in the .366/9.3 caliber. its a work in progress.

Boy this post is 7 years old.
I'm not sure but I think Star Line has 30-06 cylinder brass that you might find useful. Not sure if it will be longer or not but a cl too them wouldn't hurt.

Found some 370 brass online today. The rest is easy.
The 370 beats the 375 hh past 100 yds

Seabee":3376iro0 said:
filmjunkie4ever":3376iro0 said:
Was watching a Leopard Hunt re-run on TV the other day and saw that the gun being used was a new one on me. A 370 Sako Magnum. It appears to be a 9.3 rather than a 375 caliber. Does anyone have a rifle like this? Have been pondering a 45-70 and a 375 in my near-ish future as my bore size average is currently .306 and would like to get something a bit larger for the arsenal. You know for all of the Alaskan Brush Pounding and African Safaris I am probably never going to afford. :roll:

What are the advantages if any to getting this 370 Sako Mag vs a 375 H+H or similar?

I am currently looking into building a 370 myself.
The 370 Sako operates at 60,000 psi as opposed to the 9.3x62 working at 55,000. This gives the 370 an advantage. In quickload I was able to reach nearly 2600 fps with 250 gr bullets with the 370.
The 370 Sako comes very close to matching the 375 HH at 100 yds and surpasses the 375 HH beyond that.
The body/neck area of the 370 is 3mm longer than the 30-06 so forming brass would result in a short neck after forming.
The 370 downside is that 375HH ammo and brass is more available wherever you go in dangerous game country. 9.3x62 brass is more readily available than 370. In my search, only one place I found carried Sako brass in 370 and it was over $80 for 50 cases. I havent looked into it yet but it may be possible to make 370 from 9.3x64 Brenneke brass although still a short neck situation. I'm still looking at it. My next one will be something in the .366/9.3 caliber. its a work in progress.

What’s the difference on speeds if you load both of them to the 60K mark?

Both neat cartridges.

Back