375 H&H

Braked rifles can be the only way some people can shoot a rifle due to health issues and to me shooting rifles Ya should have some form of hearing protection on anyway ? I agree they are loud but they do have benefits as far as way less felt recoil which tames muzzle rise and a quicker follow up shot if needed! Also as mentioned you can remove them to hunt with and not hurt someone's ears! Ya should be wearing hearing protection at a gun range anyway as guns will always have them and people will always be using them! The RO at our City range always sets the loud guys at the loud end of the range as a group where you can shoot silhouette's they have at 565 yds! Brakes only take about 2 minutes to RR and I would not own one unless it was removable ! I do not care for them a lot but being on blood thinners for the rest of my life it will look like someone sprayed your body with greatful dead spray paint ! Some folk have had shoulder surgery and just can't take recoil and they allow them to shoot again! They one in the picture is a Vias brake and very high quality model! You can also wrap them with masking tape which will help the noise if Ya use them hunting but myself would just remove them and install the thread protector!

HOGWILD338-378":3mg4jcgn said:
Braked rifles can be the only way some people can shoot a rifle due to health issues and to me shooting rifles Ya should have some form of hearing protection on anyway ? I agree they are loud but they do have benefits as far as way less felt recoil which tames muzzle rise and a quicker follow up shot if needed! Also as mentioned you can remove them to hunt with and not hurt someone's ears! Ya should be wearing hearing protection at a gun range anyway as guns will always have them and people will always be using them! The RO at our City range always sets the loud guys at the loud end of the range as a group where you can shoot silhouette's they have at 565 yds! Brakes only take about 2 minutes to RR and I would not own one unless it was removable ! I do not care for them a lot but being on blood thinners for the rest of my life it will look like someone sprayed your body with greatful dead spray paint ! Some folk have had shoulder surgery and just can't take recoil and they allow them to shoot again! They one in the picture is a Vias brake and very high quality model! You can also wrap them with masking tape which will help the noise if Ya use them hunting but myself would just remove them and install the thread protector!

True enough, Terry. There is a place for braked (and even for barked) rifles.

Without a doubt Terry. I am not against them at all, I just don't prefer them for my own use. I guess I am happy to schlub along with my little 35 Newton and 338 Win Mag as my top rifles, as that is my comfort level for shooting them in the field, in field sorta positions.

I'd always wanted a 340, but I think it would be tougher to shoot for longer durations shooting the way I do. I could be wrong, but it might be awhile till I get a 340......

ColColt":22zivg1n said:
I'm giving serious thought to a M70 Super Grade 375 H&H. Those that have this caliber what would you liken the recoil to...45-70, 35 Whelen or maybe the 300 Bee Magnum? I've sit at the bench and fired 30-40 rounds from the Browning 1885 BPCR 45-70 and wondered if it may be comparable.
It all comes down to your physical structure and rifle stock design, I have a 375 H&H and it has become my favorite rifle, I personally feel any of the .300's kick different/more when shooting off a bench. I find my .375 very comfortable to shoot. Hope this helps :)

Lou

I agree Lou. Here I am just a few years ago, prone with the .375 H&H and factory level handloads at 300 yards:

I find the recoil fairly heavy, but not harsh. Easier than some .300 magnums.

Regards, Guy

Last 3 columns are Rifle weight , Ft Lbs of recoil and last velocity
.35 Wheel (200 at 2675) 8.0 22.6 13.5
.35 Whelen (225 at 2525) 8.0 25.0 14.2
.35 Whelen (250 at 2400) 7.5. 27.9 15.5

.375 H&H Mag. (235 at 2700) 9.0 29.5 14.5
.375 H&H Mag. (270 at 2690) 9.0 36.1 16.1
.375 H&H Mag. (300 at 2530) 9.0. 37.3. 16.3

Felt recoil above is the ft Lbs column and The Col just could not handle the recoil from his new 35 Whelen so when you compare Ft Lbs of felt recoil which is the middle column it is what it is and I am not sure what the Col did to negate the 35 Whelen recoil but even if he did use a Pabst recoil pad the numbers are still going to be the numbers? I wish he could have kept his Whelen but he would have to use light loads on a 375 H&H and it would still be more than a heavy load for the 35 Whelen? Not sure if you can use any kinda of Mercury recoil device but maybe someone else might know how to bring these numbers down so he could get the 375 H&H ? Maybe a slip on pad but not sure he tried 1 on the 35 Whelen?

It wasn't the recoil that bothered me it was getting slapped in the jaw with the stock. My jaw actually swelled a bit and was sore after I got home and that's when I decided maybe someone else could handle it better than me. I shoot a Browning 45-70 and can go through 30-40 rounds of 520-535 gr bullets at the range and not have any problem. No sore jaw or shoulder. It's all in the build of the rifle.

I find the .375H&H to be very similar in recoil to my 8mmRem Mag, not bad at all. The recoil is any ware from 30-40ft-lbs and I wouldn't call the recoil snappy. My .375H&H is a Winchester M70 Safari and I love it.

A side issue that impressed me about Winchester is....on a trip to Namibia my stock was broken during transport but my PH loaned me his .375H&H so the hunt carried on. When I returned I sent the rifle off to Winchester to be restocked explaining what happened and to send me the bill that I was going to forward to the airline. Well Winchester restocked the rifle and about three weeks later it showed up and I couldn't be more pleased with the work they did. Oh and there was NO BILL. (y)

It makes me want to go buy another Winchester. :grin:

I have a break on my 338 Jarrett, and my ears are still ringing from the other day. I do not have a break on my 375 model 70. The recoil is very manageable, I agree with many others it is far easier to shoot then hot loads through a 45/70, a 340 bee or similar rifles. I would wager recoil manageability of a well stocked 375 HH is one of the reasons it was and is such a great cartridge.

My 338 Jarrett used to be an 8mm, I always thought the 375 more comfortable to shoot. Stock design perhaps?

I have a Number One in 9.3x74R. At 7-1/4 pounds plus 1.5-5x22, VX3 scope, it kicks pretty hard at about 35 foot pounds. Probably close to a .375 H&H in a heavier rifle. It feels about the same to me as my .375 H&H, Model 70.

I don't mind the recoil as long as I don't have to bench rest it for a lot of rounds. It shoots a 276 grain Partition at 2450 or a 250 gr AB at 2600.

salmonchaser":3ex49ao8 said:
My 338 Jarrett used to be an 8mm, I always thought the 375 more comfortable to shoot. Stock design perhaps?

I've got two of the danged things, .375's (just what every mule deer hunter needs...) and both of them seem to have rather mild recoil. I think it's something about the cartridge that produces a big "push" instead of a sharp "slam" to the shoulder.

I like shooting them both!

Guy

Back