375 w/ 260 Partitions

Harv6

Beginner
Feb 9, 2015
So I'm thinking about trying a new deer/blackbear load in my 375 Ruger Alaskan Brush Hunter. I've got them on hand already, and I was actually thinking about downloading them to mimic a 375 Winchester. Ranges would be no further than 200 yards. Sounds like a mild mannered thumper in a compact, easy to carry, all weather rifle. Thoughts? Experiences?

I’d probably keep them ging 2300-2400 fps. It should duplicate a medium 35 whelen load. The 260 Partition is built pretty tough and I woud’nt want to run it too slow, you want that front half to expand quickly for quick kills.

For sure, you don't want to allow the velocity to drop too low or you'll witness poor expansion. The advice to load to duplicate the 35 Whelen is sound.

I like the idea. Gets you a chance to use the .375 Ruger more, and makes an easy-shooter out of it.

Want to be careful about dropping the velocity too low. Partitions expand reliably at pretty low velocity though, with that soft front end.

For optimum performance Nosler recommends a minimum of 1800 fps impact velocity.

I use my .375 H&H Number One as a black bear rifle, but I stretch the range out to 300 yds and beyond, using the 260 AccuBond at 2620 fps. I'd think the Partition from your rifle will do just as well or better in a similar role.

Also have loaded some 220 gr Hornady bullets, designed for the .375 Win & .38-55, down to about 1900 fps. Very mellow, easy shooting rounds... Light recoil, mild report, and of course it would take deer as well as the .38-55 ever did. Very enjoyable to shoot.

Regards, Guy

I agree with the others, load it down to a 35 Whelen level to ensure expansion.

JD338

Back