.38 special powder

If you are using cast lead bullets the powder or charge used won`t matter, the lube on the bullets is what smokes.

Ol` Joe":23qji270 said:
If you are using cast lead bullets the powder or charge used won`t matter, the lube on the bullets is what smokes.

Light loads like 3 grains of bullseye doesn't smoke if you use copper jacketed bullets?

Antelope_Sniper":1sz9ittg said:
3 grains? Easy to double or tripple charge with a load like that.
How about some good ol 2400?

It does require attention for sure. But if you're frugal, tis the way togo.

Antelope_Sniper":6a7lif78 said:
3 grains? Easy to double or tripple charge with a load like that.
How about some good ol 2400?

Any bullseye loads I've ever seen listed for a .38 special is at 3 grains. Where you see double or triple?
And besides, plinkin loads are better at the low end anyway.

I think Antelope Sniper was just warning that it is very easy to accidentally make a double charge of such a light load. He's right - but I still use mostly Bullseye when I load for the .38 Special. Very accurate. I'm just careful, because a double charge could be really dangerous!

I use 231 with commercial cast wadcutters and it works well. I remember reading somewhere that HP38 and 231 are the same powder, as are H414 and WW 760. You may use whichever is available in your area.

bruce

Guy Miner":h1lg6wog said:
I think Antelope Sniper was just warning that it is very easy to accidentally make a double charge of such a light load. He's right - but I still use mostly Bullseye when I load for the .38 Special. Very accurate. I'm just careful, because a double charge could be really dangerous!

I always check with my scale as I use my Lee powder measure.

Attention to detail is warranted in any reduced load. This pertains to all of us.

Back