3x12x44 Weaver Kaspa Tactical Riflescope (EMDWeaver Reticle)

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
Anyone know anything about these Kaspa line from Weaver??? 30mm side focus,
Lots of impressive reviews floating around ......
Looks interesting overall? Anyone 1332523572000_843764.jpg
Well its been almost a week since this post, and no responses, I have decided to purchase one
Just for fun, so will review it after I have some time with it! Ups says it will be here tomorrow so I will post a review
On it after I have a chance to see how it tracks, what I think of their illumated mil dot reticule, how the eye hox is at higher powers, and its light gathering abilitys compared to Leupold VX2, Zeiss, Sightron, Vortex scopes I can set right beside it at dark! (y)

Well this scope came in and it has been interesting to compare it to some of the other scopes, first of all I better start by saying ,It is Heavy! Rugged made scope,What it is, is a wanta be Huskamaw , Niteforce , sorta deal made in China. Is it either , no. Is it $1200, No. What it actually is a darn lot of scope for the money! This Weaver has one of the nicest illuminated reticules you will ever see in ANY scope, with 10 different intensity settings. It has the same field of view at 500 yds as my VX2 Leoupold when they are both set on 9 power, I would compare the overall quality of lens to a Sightron S1, Vortex Diamondback or Leupold VX 1. It has nicely done turrets, with pull up to index, Push down to lock caps that have good positive clicks. It is true Zero Stop . It has 11 full turns of deflection vertically,
And 6 full turns horizontally. Quick focus eyepiece, that is smooth as silk. Being a 30mm tube , it has a left side focus knob that travels smooth, But is very critical when focusing sorta like a 1/8th of a turn either way off focused position, is WAY outta focus. Thought I still very much prefered that to trying to adjust the whole objective lens....... the scope has approx 6" of travel total, so my gun has a 5" ring to ring spacing, so would give me only 1/2" one way or the other to move this scope. With the 44mm Obj
I was impressed it was every bit as bright at 12 power as the Muller scope was with its 50mm Obj, so I am assuming it has to be the coatings on the lens, they both are out of bussiness 2 mins ahead of the VX2 as it got dark last night. So for a scope that retailed originally at $379, that sold on the street for around $ 230/50 dollars. Now being closed out at $149 from Midway........... these are darn good value.
And have ALOT of the thousand dollar features!!
To say something bad, they do NOT have thousand dollar eye relief ! This one has 3.25" and but is critical as heck from side to side....... so on a magnum rifle you would be asking for trouble. It in my opinon way to heavy to actually hunt with , and sorta bulky. If your used to a Swarvorski's eye relief, you are NOT going to be very happy with this scopes eye relief.
If you need a Niteforce scope for gosh sakes just go get one ! But if your just playing around, with a flat shooting gun, and can think of a dozen things better than investing an extra grand, into a scope your only ever going to use occasionally, this scope at $150 is a true bargin..............possibly the best bargin available !
If you like the best and your thing is having top quality optics to show off with, you would never be satisfied with a scope like this....... :wink:

Good review buddy. Throw some targets up and dial it around. Let us know how it tracks.

I have a few 1000 dollar scopes that don't track for beans either. Some good deals in optics out there if you keep an eye out.

Thanks for the review Earle. I've only owned 2 Weavers and still have one of them that fogged up on the first hunt I used it on and with my luck wouldn't you know that Weaver went belly up at the say time and the warranty was void so I was stuck with a new scope that I couldn't use and it is still on the shelf for a reminder why not to buy a Weaver.

TD, sorry you got smoked on your Weaver, I really have no idea who really makes these scopes for them, but I would not be very surprised if Bushnell is mixed up in this scope, the Muller, the Millett, and the SWFA SS, though with that said because the SS was an original military speced scope for the Navy, and still built to those standards, optically it could be very similar, but mechanically I am guessing it is
A step up from all these others, and most likely stand more abuse than these others, the fixed power SS scopes seam like a true bargin; but the variable power models ,
Are at the moment in a totally different price bracket?

Those SS fixed power scopes could be used as a club, they are beefy. They also dial like no other scope I've had before both in windage and elevation with no gimmicks. Great glass as well.

I'm still putting mine through its paces on my 7 Mashburn but so far I'm all smiles. Learning mils and such as well. Our snipers have raved about mils for years so I figure it's time to get with the program.

The field of view and forgiveness of this scope will make you question the 300.00 you spent. I've got a few scopes I'd can and replace them with this 6x SS. It's pretty darned good.

Earle, I'm not real bummed out about it just won't by a Weaver again. The one I have paid for its self when my son used it to kill his first and only deer when I mounted it on his slug gun. You just have to leave it outside or in the bed of the truck so it doesn't fog up. I could send it off and get it cleaned and sealed but I don't think it would be worth it.

TD, I wonder how the today Weaver Company would feel about making you happy, I cant help but wonder if someone in CS there; wouldnt want to keep you happy? I realize they dont have to help. But most of the time if you press em they will help ya out, even if they did a repair at reduced cost thats better than it living on the shelf! Its funny you bring this up as I still have lots of old klunker Weavers we have removed over the years many circa 1950/60s and very few of them are fogged up............
That implys they have leaked out the nitrogen of course, and fixing it should be as simple as just recharging it with new seal??
I got to think they would most likely just throw yours and send you a new one?
Years ago when Dad was asked to buy a scope or take one in trade, he would usually say sure leave it with me and come back tomorrow and I will square you up for it, he would then immediately put the scope in our freezer to see if they were trying to slip
Him a scope that had leaked out the nitrogen, ??? Of course they fog right up if they are not tightly sealed. It was interesting how many times they did.............. the owners then Always try to act shocked when they came in, and we had to show them their scope had problems, 99% of the time they Always say "it never did that before".......... :roll:

Just came in off the ice today after trying out the tracking of this scope, gun is zeroed at 200 yds dead nuts, takes 10 clicks up for it to be spot on at 300 yds. So today I put a target up at exactly 400 yds out on the lake, (8/9" of ice now). And low and behold at 20 clicks it was 1" low. Close enough for me. Brought the target back into 300 yds droped back down to 10 clicks,
And bingo we shot a 2 1/4" group at 300yds. So in summary I feel for the money, this scope is great bang for the buck! Good job on this one Weaver!!! And best way to discribe it is "its right on track!"

Very nice, that'll kill dogs for sure E. Sounds like a good day to me buddy. Also sounds like your load is shooting real well too.

What bullet are shooting out of the 25 Whelen right now? The Weaver sounds like it working just fine for you.

Thanks Scotty, the load is just some old Sierra Pro Hunters,in 100 gr (which I know nothing about)with 59gr of RL25, which is showing right at 3300 fps thru the hoops..... I just bought 100 cases so am going to Load up some shortly with 60grs and see if we can get 3400, and will most likely just Watch the way it works on these big Eastern dogs and see what I think.....
This scope is really a great value, but because of my ring spacing ,and the fact I have the rifle, in a lead sled, and the shape of my bench, the scope is really mounted about 1/2"To far forward...,,,,, of course its already right up against the Objective , so would need An offset 30mm ring to fix that problem, I got the 1/2" ok before I am up against the power ring, got one laying around?? :wink:
Anyway for something to run just to shoot a few Coyotes, this is the story without breaking the bank. Of course when the ice is gone, this Weaver will get stored in the draw until next season with the ND3 lazer left right on it........
The new VX2 CDS Leupold, will go on this 25 Whelen with a new custom marked dail
Made up for 117gr bullets going 3200fps, So with proper bullet placement and a bullet I know will expand correctly at long distances, if that wont flatten the biggest buck that ever walked the state of Kansas, I will climb on the plane, bow my head,And head on home, to lick my wounds, and stand corrected!! :mrgreen:
(But I dont tink soooooo :lol: )

Sounds like it'll work great E. Looking forward to your load work. I imagine you won't have much troubling handling deer with a good bullet.

Scotty,
Just to check some figures, one mil dot correction on the horizontal wire being worth approx 3" at 300 yds? Would correct for a 90 degree crosswind blowing 13-18 mph be approx 1 .5 mil dots? ? And 2 mils would correct if you had 18-25 mph? 2.5 mils at 30 ??
Just roughly???
With my set up here on the ice, it is very common for me to have a full wind 20/30 mph..............
E
Ps. Loaded up for the 243, those 70gr Varmageddons yesterday with 46.5gr of 414, gosh those are nice looking bullets! I thought the tips were lead? Its not they have a plastic tip?? It will be interesting to see how they perform
On Wiley! Gotta check em for 200 yd zero now and we are ready to put it in the scarboard on the snowsled....
Time to go call some. (y)

Back