4" at 300 yards

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Okay, doesn't sound all that great. You're right.

But that's from sitting, with a sling for stability, earlier today. 5x scope. No rest. Winchester Model 70, .375 H&H Douglas barrel. Handloaded 235 gr Speers at 2850 fps via RL-15.

It was pretty satisfying. :grin:

Did a little better with the .30-06 & 165's.

Bear season is upon us here in Washington. I needed a little more practice with those two rifles!

Guy

Nice shootin'. Glad there's somebody else that can shoot off something other than a concrete bench or bipod.

Thanks. I try not to use a bench very often. Haven't found one yet, in the field. Not in a lot of years of hunting... :grin:

This is practice, not load development...

Regards, Guy

I sit while using a bi-pod and have found this to be a very effective field position. Prone rarely works with all the vegetation that seems to be around when you can least afford to have it there.

I enjoy shooting bowling pins at 300 yds with my .308 when using this field position. I hit more than I miss.

Charlie - couldn't agree more! Sitting, with good shooting sticks, or a tall Harris bipod, is GREAT!

My son and I have taken a lot of game that way, or just using the sling for support, no sticks.

Couple of years ago I watched my son practice at 300 yards with his .30-06 on a tall Harris bipod. He did great at the range. A week afterwards we ranged a nice bear at 320 yards and he nailed it first shot, from that same sitting position. It just plain works!

And you're right, prone is rarely useful in the field. Even modestly high grass gets in the way. Sitting or kneeling gets above most of the "stuff" that's naturally in the way.

Just remembered - he shot a whitetail buck with that rifle too - using my shoulder as a rest! It was a steep uphill shot, and we'd practiced it before. I held still, he rested the rifle on my shoulder and shot. Boom, dead.

Practice, practice, practice!

Guy

Guy that in my book is great shooting from a field shooting position, very nice.

Very nice. That Winchester 375 seems to be serving you as well as the old #1! Great shooting buddy.

Thanks guys! My shooting partner today said "It's amazing how much that rifle moves you."

Ya, it moves me. But I like it.

Guy

For a hunter it is much more meaningful metric than anything that happens at a bench. I also keep track of first shots over time. To me that is the most meaningful target data that applies directly to the hunt.

Agree! Most of the time, the hunt is over (one way or another!) at the first shot.

Guy

Back