4 Bears and an oak tree

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
Had a bit of an experience last week. Was bowhunting (treestand) in an oak flat and had a couple of last years cubs come in. I gave em a yell to get them movin on and one of them did that lil cub cry. Here came moma running towards me from about 200 yds away. A 3rd cub followed her. Cubs running every direction and moma walking around popping her teeth. I figured it best to keep my mouth shut at that time. hoping they would wander off. Not to be the case. Moma wasnt goin anywhere til she figured out what scared her 100lb baby. You wouldnt think she'd get so ticked off. Afterall, she wont let them den with her this winter when she has her next batch.

I figured it was going to be a long nite when some people from some private land about 150 yds away came walking thru their property talking pretty loud. The bears figured that was enough and wandered off in another direction. That is when I got out of the tree and went in my own direction.

I had all 4 of the bears within 20 yds and one cub was within inches of my climbing steps.

Happens to me about every other year, seeing bears that is, but this was the nastiest experience yet.

Long

Wow, sounds exciting!

How is the bow hunting going?

JD338

Well after only being out 3 times I cannot claim success. Had a spike come in twice and a fork once. I took pics of the fork. Otherwise the bears came in the other time I was out. The area I hunt does not have many deer since the wolves moved in 4 years ago. Hopefully this year it will be better in the rifle and late bow season.

Long

I hae the same wolf problem in the east end as well. Last year I only saw 2 does, that was it! Had the wolfs howling every morning and every night in the same swamp I 'm hunting. My brother-in-law had a wolf cross 10 yds in front of his blind, never knew he was there.
Hope you have a good season.

JD338

Back