$ 4 scopes

winston

Beginner
Jan 2, 2007
I would like an opinion: I can get the Bushnell Elite 6500 in the 4.5 x 30 x50 for $900.00. Also, I can get the Leupold 8.5 x 25 x 50 Mark 4 for $1200.00. Which one of these do you recommend that I purchase? Both are going to be in the mil dot for long range shooting. Thanks.

Go with Leupold, they have world class customer service!

JD338

With but very few exceptions, the expenditure of more money on scopes is worth every penny. There are instances where you are buying gadgets that do not make any significant difference, but when you are speaking of optics, the extra money is well worth it. Bushnell is a good company, but Leupold is a great company.

Hard to beat Leupold. Great scopes and dependable as iron anvils! Scotty

Thanks for the info I have a VXL 3 and love it but just wanted some info for long range

Spectacular in my opinion. I bought one for my Sendero in 7mm rum.

Here is another guys review...
Well guys I just got my new pair of vipers and i went out to make some tests.

I couldn´t fire any bullets from where i was but i mas making some view tests.
I decided to compare my 8.5-25X50 fine duplex VX-III, My 5-20X44 BDC Monarch and my brand new 6.5-20X44 Wide V-Plex Viper and my 6.5-20X50 Target Dot Viper.

For this test i set all my scopes @20x and then @10x even though the leupold could go up to 25x. This was so i had the same conditions on each one.
I was looking at a construction site located @1,000 yds from me, i did this test in late afternoon, about 1 hour before sunset so the light conditions were not the best (that´s what i intended) and the results were the following:

1.- The 6.5-20X50 target dot Viper outstanded every other scope. The image was crystal clear all around the field of view, a little difficult to locate the dot on dark surfaces, but doable. I was thinking about using this scope on my coyote rifle, but after this test a had to look another way. I just think trying to make a quick shot on a moving target with this reticle would not be easy.

2.- The 6.5-20X44 Wide V-plex Viper had the second best image. In those light conditions you had to really try to notice the difference between the 2 Vipers. Also the image was very crisp and clear. I couldn´t notice any dark ring around the center of the image. The reticle is great, really helps you find the center of the cross but the thin part is really thin. Very eye friendly. I think i will use this scope for my coyote rifle.

3.- Leupold VX-III was good. Not as good as any of the Vipers. I have this scope on my competition rimfire rifle. I have no complains on the scope (except for the price), but the image was not as clear as the one i got from the vipers. You could see a little dark ring ond the edge of the FOV.

4.- 5-20X44 BDC Monarch. This scope looks very nice when you dont have a better comparison, it´s an average scope. The image was very different from the one I got from the other 3 Scopes. It looked like it was a foggy day. You could see the target, but it had this light fog effect that didn´t really helped you appreciate the fine details on the target. the BDC reticle is good, but i think it´s a little bulky compared to the other 3. the horizontal line is extremely wide it only leaves a very small space too place your target at the center of the reticle. Good scope, but I´m selling both my monarchs and replace them with vipers.

I was also very impressed by the construction of the vipers. Even the turret caps are thicker than both leupold and Nikon turret caps. My leupold scope alredy has a dent in one of the caps. The only thing Vortex is missing is a good pair of flip-up caps. They have the ARD flip-up, but a little expensive and I didn´t really liked the construction. I would expect for something like the leupold alumina caps from vortex. I can´t complain about Nikon´s flip-up caps since they are free.

http://www.opticstalk.com/vortex-review ... 24807.html

Interesting review, Fotis. It's my understanding that the gents who established this company (Vortex) have some experience in scope design.

And customer service equal or better than Leupold. No questions asked, you get a new scope period.

As I've said, the practise (for the moment) here in Canada is return the scope to a store that handles Vortex and walk away with a new one. The Vortex Canada web site, however, indicates that that policy may change to require exchange through Vortex directly. Nevertheless, they are building a good product and backing it with a first rate guarantee.

They look like very reasonably priced scopes also. Alot of good features in a scope not costing alot more money. Scotty

The first I have heard about vortex now I dont know what to buy. Just bought a 7mm Savage long range so I got to figure something out

I just purchased my second Viper 2x7x32mm for my 7x57mm Ruger 1A.

JD338":3sy7r50r said:
Go with Leupold, they have world class customer service!

JD338

They sure do, but their repair service reflects that of Burris at times. Of the 3 scopes that I remember having sent back to Leupold, 2 came back great and the third went to them twice and was never fixed or replaced regardless of what their letter said. That scope would not track down properly. 4-6 clicks up moved it exactly that, but the same 4-6 clicks down had no effect. Leupold said it was fine both times. I did the same test with the same rifle only with a Sightron SII and all was well.

I would open up my options a little bit. The Vortex is quite popular with my local club of long-range shooters. There's also IOR, Nightforce, etc. I would make sure that I got exactly what I wanted for a $1k scope and wouldn't let a cattle brand determine that for me. Erase the names and look at what each has to offer.

Back