404 Jeffery

lovestohunt

Beginner
May 31, 2012
Hey guys...I'm thinking of building myself a 404 jeffery....any thoughts on this classic caliber? I wont be going to Africa any time soon but should be fun flattening a pig or two with it....maybe a bear.

Tico

Hold on tight when you pull the trigger [emoji6]

It's a great old round. Keep an eye out for a winchester classic action. It would make a dandy donor

Should be great fun when you witness the impact on a pig or a bear.

What's your action of choice?

Winchester Model 70?

Mauser?

Ruger Number One?

I had a 404 Jeff. It was alright. I believe the 416 and especially the 458's are way more versatile.

Looking at a model 70 action....

I know the rigby and 458 would probably more versatile but there really is nothing i woulf want to do with those that i couldnt do with the jeffery at lower pressures and for the most part almost similar ballistics......

Honestly i just love the name :)

lovestohunt":medsx4y4 said:
Honestly i just love the name :)

Good enough reason to build the rifle. :grin: I have no doubt it will fly with this crowd. :mrgreen:

I have a buddy who is building one on a 1917 action that I sold him. I hope he realizes how much money he saved me and what a great friend he is. ;)

Yea I'm like your friend....i have s few pushing me to do it so they don't have to :)

What great pals

Very cool classic old school round! It actually has a following among Big Game hunters that hunt over in Africa.

I like it and don't think every round needs to be the biggest bad A** cartridge in your arsenal. Mild can be wild IMO.

Well, I paid way too much for an M70 .300 RUM as a donor for a future .404 build...

Can you PM me on what way too much is? I want to make sure my "buddy" isn't trying to screw me :)

Good luck with the build. I'd like a Jeffrey as well, when I decide to step up into the big bore boomers. Seems like the 404J is pretty versatile, at least from a reloading stand point.

It's a sexy nostalgic round. Seriously thinking of getting another CZ 550 in one.

I have had a true magnumMauser .416 Rigby for several years and therefore can speak of the virtues the .416Rigby has..and Drawbacks too.
The .416Rigby caliber is not a stoprifle..even if pumped to .416Weatherby. The Magnum Mauser takes a longer pull to recycle for NeXT cartridge.
If one only need a 400 grain bullet doing 2250-2300 ft/sec then today I would take the .404Jeffery. It´s enough and can be buildt on a standard length Mauser with no problemo.
The .416Rigby is an impressive cartridge that offers Weatherby ballistics if needed..but like for all big game hunting...it is often shot at close range anyway. The animals one can shoot at 300 yards can likely be taken with a .300 Xmagnum. The .404 Jeffery is more powder efficient too.

Back