45-70 at 200 yards

SJB358":29ifwkdw said:
RR, I shot Guy Miner's load of H322 with the 425 PDJs at 1950 outta my Guide Rifle. It was REALLY accurate but it's the only rifle that rearranged my ear muffs and shooting glasses all in one press of the trigger. It is manageable but it's not a bench load.

425 at 1950???? What is the load?

I'm thinking that's a typo or maybe just not remembered correctly....

1,850 fps is more in line with what I've seen from the Guide Guns.

1,950 fps from a barrel that short would be over 50,000 psi with H322...

The Marlin will take 40,000 psi....but 50+ is dangerous, very dangerous.

Guy Miner":264f393d said:
SJB358":264f393d said:
RR, I shot Guy Miner's load of H322 with the 425 PDJs at 1950 outta my Guide Rifle. It was REALLY accurate but it's the only rifle that rearranged my ear muffs and shooting glasses all in one press of the trigger. It is manageable but it's not a bench load.

Didn't I warn you? :mrgreen:

ooops...

You sure didn't!

It could have been 1850 or 1950. To be honest fellas it was a few years ago. I'll dig through my notes, but I thought it was around 52-53 grains of H322 if that means anything. Either way, I don't have anything in my sights that needs that sorta killing right now.

I got the load from Marshal Stanton, Beartooth bullets.

Was quite happy with backing off from it a bit. I shot it through the 22" Marlin 1895.

From my notes:

45/70 Marlin 1895 Range Report & Chrono Data

9/28/08:

300 gr Sierra HP, 55 gr H4198, WW brass, CCI 200 = 2280 fps

350 gr Hornady FNSP, 50 H4198, WW brass, CCI 200 = 2080 fps

425 gr BTB, 50 gr H322, WW brass, CCI 200 = 1828 fps

425 gr BTB, 52 gr H322, WW brass, CCI 200 = 1941 fps

These loads proved safe in my rifle, but it's something you'll want to work up to. Carefully. My rifle isn't mine anymore. A good friend bought it and has been happily using it on eastern Washington whitetail... It's still in one piece, looking good, and shooting good.

Guy

Those loads are all safe (but 52 is pushing it pretty hard)...Marshall does like his loads warm though, lol...great guy, have spent some time time on the phone with him myself.

I've shot all those loads too...the 52 grain load will quite often cause the lever to drop, but has given no other issues.

I settled on 50 grains though, mostly because I was flinching with 52...not from recoil, but from not being completely sure the rifle wasn't going to "destructively disassemble".

I dropped down to 50 gr H322 as my standard charge for those 425 gr Piledriver Juniors too.

Was getting slammed too doggone hard with that Marlin.

50 grains was serious, but not painful to me. Accurate too. I never did get to use that bullet on game while I owned the rifle.

Regards, Guy

OK, so this thread inspired me....

I took my Guide Gun to the range yesterday (among a bunch of rifles) and I shot it for sighting in purposes at 100. That little bugger doesn't know it's not supposed to be so accurate! Tweaked the scope settings and fired a shot aimed at the bottom point of a diamond target. Clipped the diamond point off, with the center of the hole almost literally hitting the very point I was aiming it. Yikes.

I shot into the bank at 200 to see the drop, which was around 12-13". Held accordingly and clobbered the 10" gong at 200 yards. Three times.

The load was a Hornady 350gr FP with 47gr H4198, vel was 1890fps. Recoil is there, but not awful.

Dang, these little buggers are fun.

Without a doubt and that 350 at 1890 should hammer some venison!

I found the 45-70 more pleasant to shoot than the 35 Whelen. Maybe the weight ahs something to do with it. I have a Browning BPCR in this caliber and it's as accurate as you are with Swiss 1.5 black powder and the old Lyman 457125 bullet. Yep, it's a thumper but due to the heavy barrel not too bad. It seemed sacrilege to shoot smokeless in it so I use black powder only.

Guy, I have used that exact 300g Sierra load in my GBL and puts 5 shots touching at 70 yards! Hits very hard on the pigs too!

That's a beautiful Browning ColColt. Really a beautiful set up.

Back