45-70 ...oh what fun

orchemo

Handloader
Dec 13, 2006
I took the Marlin Guide gun to the range today. I have a Leupold scout scope set into Warne quick release rings riding on a XS scout rail with XS ghost ring sights

The rifle is zeroed for 350gr Hornady FP bullets, but I recently bought a bunch of Oregon Trail 405 hard cast bullets.

45 gr RL-7 with a good crimp and let the fun begin.

Steel plates at 160 yds - three out of three.

Made me realize I need to carry this rifle more. Those 405 gr Laser cast would go clean through a lot of animal.

Everyone needs a 45-70 !!! And I prefer my guide gun to my Marlin with the 22 inch barrel

Here is mine. I sanded off all the checkering similar to the older Marlins
1352520042.jpg

Here is the 405gr LaserCast compared to a 225gr 35 cal AB for the Whelen. Check out the metal plate. .45 inch hole in and out.

1352519896.jpg

I looked at a Guide Gun similar to that one at the Gun Broker in Woodburn. I need to get me one of them one of these days.

Anybody ever tried to slim the fore end down?

When I sanded off the checkering I slimmed it down

Like it much better

Wow! Great looking rifle. I would love to have the forearm slimmer and the checking gone off of mine but I am not that crafty.

I shoot the 350 FP and 405 Lasercast bullets out of mine too.

Eric,

Very nice. I agree, true happiness is owning/shooting a M1895 Guide in 45-70.
It is a hammer on WT too.
DeerSeason2011006.jpg

JD338

For sanding off the checkering, I took the stocks off the rifle, clamped my belt sander in a vise and went to town. Tried to balance the sides on the forearm. The I looked for the darkest wood stain I could find. I wanted a dark looking wood. Then finished with lin seed oil from brownells.

Cheers

I don't have a GG but I picked up a 26" fluted PH barrel for my Encore, I just lucked into it. Made an offer the guy accepted, found another guy selling dies, factory ammunition about 60 rounds, and 40 1X brass made another offer and he took it. The only thing I had to get new was a scope base, and I orderd a Warne. So when I get back home to CO, I have a .45-70 to put together and I did it for barely over $300 when all was said and done.

taylorce1":2317fe1s said:
I don't have a GG but I picked up a 26" fluted PH barrel for my Encore, I just lucked into it. Made an offer the guy accepted, found another guy selling dies, factory ammunition about 60 rounds, and 40 1X brass made another offer and he took it. The only thing I had to get new was a scope base, and I orderd a Warne. So when I get back home to CO, I have a .45-70 to put together and I did it for barely over $300 when all was said and done.

Not bad! In fact, quite good.

taylorce1":34uykeg6 said:

That is one heck of a deal, way to go.

JD338

Fotis. I just have had great fun shooting the guide gun. I thought I wanted the longer barrel and it shots well. But the guide model, for me, shoots very well.

For the purposes of the longer barrel 45-70, I see myself using my 350 Rem Mag with 250 PT.

That all bring said, fat and slow is good in a rifle.

Still hanging around. Not too motivated as it does not need to go but....

Back