45-70 reloads/Hornady Leverevolution

smirak

Beginner
Jan 8, 2009
SO, from what I am hearing, everyone likes the Leverevolution factory loads for their 45-70 Govt. I will probably shoot a box of those since there isn't but about 10 days left in the season, and I don't have any dies yet for my new 45-70. But, my real question is this...

What are you guys using for handloads in your 45-70's? This is a Handirifle 45-70 Govt that I am going to be using in our primitive weapon season.

Thanks,
Kevin

I tried them late summer and with my guide gun I was busting bowling pins at 200 yards! The version I had were the ones doing 1800 fps at the muzzle. They changed their MV somewhere along the line.

My load is 300 grain Partition with my guide gun

1002081811a.jpg

2150 fps with H322
group is .75" at 100 yds with a weaver 3 power scope. Not bad!

4570.jpg

Thanks Pop. I don't have a scope yet, will probably hunt with the iron sights this season (only 10 days left), but was looking at the cabelas brand leverevolution for mine. They seem to have good reviews.

I really wanted a 444, but those things are hard to come by...

Kevin

I just got a 1-3x V3 Weaver on mine. Good scope for the $$.

Oh, one other thing...I would love a guide gun like that, but in order for us to hunt with it in primitive weapon season, it must be a single shot, breech loading, exposed hammer of .35 cal or larger.

Kevin

I also remember readoing somewhere that the 45-70 handloaded "better" than the 444. The reason given was that by the time you added powder to the case, you had little room for bullet seating depth.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Kevin

I"ve got the same NEF rifle as you in the 45/70.

Its a fun little rifle to say the least. I just wanted something to roll deer, elk and bears with out to 150 yards or so. I think it will do that very nicely!!

The load I use is either Remington or Hornady's 300g HP, 48g IMR-4198, Rem case, Fed 210 primer, OAL 2.550" I get right at 2000fps and 1" 3 shot groups from a benchrest at 100 yards. I have a trashco 3-9 world class on it for glass, (it came with it OK)

Would like to get some 405g Rem SP's moving along at 1800fps or so, LOL.

Back