45-70 VS 450 Marlin

Rem Jim":151qji39 said:
I will REVEAL all 45-70 GOV and 450 Marlin #'s when done ! May the best cartridge WIN ! LOL :grin:

Cheers RJ

You done yet? :mrgreen:

Since I have a 450 Marlin and like it a lot I feel compelled to voice my opinion which is in opposition to the majority or the responses. First, if you are going to shoot factory ammo, the 450 factory ammo is faster than the 45-70 gov't ammo of the same bullet weight. The Hornady 325 Flex tip seems to be very available now and shoots well out of my rifle. I can't say that I see much (if any) difference between the 325 flex tip and the 350 fN Interlock on water jug tests. You can't really tell one mushroom from the other.

The only issue with factory ammo is that I only know of one factory load for the 450 Marlin - the 325 grain Flex-tip.

However if you buy a 45-70 Gov't and plan to load it up to SAO loads, then you could just as easily load the 450 Marlin with whatever bullet you wanted to use. Reloading for one is as easy as reloading for the other. I prefer to load for bullets other than the 325 Flex-tip since I don't have to cut the brass back and I can use the Lee Factory Crimp Die. The last I knew, the 450 Marlin brass was available - but then I haven't really looked in a while.

So, if you are going to load the 45-70 to SAO loads, you can just as easily load the 450 Marlin with other bullets.

Dan

bobnob":1qlbb0tp said:
Yeah good call Fotis, we want figures and targets Jim!

Sorry GUYS :? i have being just to BUSY to Play much the last 6 months - I got to get my Priorites RIGHT - i Know ! (y) I hope to retire this Nov 2017 so then i can play all the time ! :grin:

Cheers RJ

I bought both!

Attachments

• 450a.jpg
    450a.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 2,256
  • 1895cb 4570.jpg
    1895cb 4570.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 2,256
Back