45-70 with 1.25X4 VXR

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Just mounted up this scope on my 1895. Seems like a good scope so far. Optics seem clear, I like the heavier #4 reticle and the FOV is very nice as well. Should have it out shortly, to the range to see what it does, but I am not expecting any problems. Might look at getting another for the shotgun if this pans out to be a decent optic.

68EC18F4-AB82-4A53-AAE4-3E0BAEAF6432-1992-00000147A25407BE_zps33b60a5d.jpg

43D0671E-5A12-4CA3-A62D-E34FDE91085C-1992-000001479EE27EE1_zpsa3325e95.jpg

CC7330C4-CEDB-462A-86B1-E3CA6A361A43-1992-000001479A5269AC_zps0cdd22bd.jpg

Hopefully, this is the last scope I put on this rifle for awhile. Been trying a few different ones, and nothing really "worked". Kinda hoping this is the one.

Scott that scope looks sweet on that great looking rifle. That would be some bad bear ju-ju right here.

Looking forward to your review. Am still in the decision making process re optics for my AR-15, but this particular scope is high on the list.

For a lever gun, I'm very satisfied with the little 8 ounce 2.5x Leupold.

Guy

Guy Miner":2oz9stmc said:
Looking forward to your review. Am still in the decision making process re optics for my AR-15, but this particular scope is high on the list.

For a lever gun, I'm very satisfied with the little 8 ounce 2.5x Leupold.

Guy

I was very close to that one as well Guy.. Still might get one for my Shotgun... I like the low end for my slug guns and lever rifles.

A genuine powerhouse, there, Scotty. The scope looks very nice mounted atop that fine ol' Model 95.

I am curious, I wonder how it would compare to my VX-3 1.5-5x20? I bought the VX-3 because I did not know anyone who had a VX-R 1.25-4 to compare with. What illumination does it have, Scotty, center dot?

Scotty

That right there is the perfect set up for anything you would hunt with the big bore 45-70.
Very nice buddy.

JD338

wayno945":1rfzzhtz said:
Very nice. Is that the XS sights rail?

Yes sir, it is the XS rail. Highly recommend them. It allows alot of freedom for scope mounting.

Oldtrader3":1rfzzhtz said:
I am curious, I wonder how it would compare to my VX-3 1.5-5x20? I bought the VX-3 because I did not know anyone who had a VX-R 1.25-4 to compare with. What illumination does it have, Scotty, center dot?

Charlie, yes, it has a illuminated center dot. Seems pretty nice. Didn't get a chance to look at it last night, but it seems pretty decent. The nice thing is, even if the battery dies, nothing really changes for the use of the scope. I look at the illum as a nice to have.

Nice. I have the same scout type rail however mine does not extend that far back to mount a rifle scope. What is your setup?

BTW if you for pigs in Texas you will need that scope!

FOTIS":67999aod said:
Nice. I have the same scout type rail however mine does not extend that far back to mount a rifle scope. What is your setup?

BTW if you for pigs in Texas you will need that scope!

I think it is called the XS Lever Rail? Not sure, I got it from them a few years ago. I love the ability to move the scope where I want to.

This is what mine looks like~ Not too crazy on ERF scopes.

JxAzt.jpg

0KZIh.jpg

zE1lI.jpg

uMDVV.jpg

That's a nice rifle.

I have that same mount, made by Weaver on my 35 Rem.

abdedd20.jpg

f13a947a.jpg

c15a6add.jpg

Yeah Just a PITA that I can not mount a rifle scope and leave the peep on...................

FOTIS":zf9ohhnm said:
Yeah Just a PITA that I can not mount a rifle scope and leave the peep on...................

Fotis, I run the Weaver Back Up Sight from XS. Clamps ring on the rail and you can use a quarter to take it on and off. I keep it in the stock pouch when I don't use it. It's already zeroed and goes right back on the same spot. It's a decent set up for my use.

cool!!!!!!!!!!

high or low and how tall is your front?

FOTIS":382zhk8q said:
cool!!!!!!!!!!

high or low and how tall is your front?

I am still running the stock front sight. Works fine. Gotta order the XS sight for it, but the stocker works.

Back