45 ACP for WT Deer

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Asking if anyone has used their 45 ACP on whitetail deer? What bullet did you use? Distance and results. Thinking should keep shots 50yds and under. Know couple guys who used their 45 to finish off wounded deer but looking for first shot hunting type situations. Dan.

Not hunting, but I had to shoot too many mule deer with my 45 ACP over the years, while I was a police officer. We built our town on their wintering area, and a hundred years later the deer still descend from the mountains to the flats where town is.

Dogs. Vehicles. Fences. All sorts of bad things happen to deer in town. :(

I used factory 230 grain Federal ammo, Hydra-Shocks at first and later a bonded +P 230 grainer that I think was only avail to law enforcement. It did 915 fps from the 5" barrel of my 1911.

Results? I'd call it "adequate" but not stellar. The Hydra Shocks in particular were disappointing. I got a lot of pass-through shots, apparently without much expansion.

The later ammo did much better. It was a bonded 230 gr JHP with a gaping wide cavity and a pretty good bump in velocity to 915. Still, the 55 grain soft point Federal ammo from the 223 AR-15 worked faster, better.

FWIW, Guy

Not a 45, so maybe it dosent apply, Ive seen a few hit with a 357, and I wish I hadn't. A 300 Blackout in a "pistol" platform kills far better. A contender in 30-30 works well. in my limited, second hand observation. CL

I wounded a buck with my 44 Mag handgun and went looking for him. I walked up on him, he jumped up at 10 yards and I double tapped him with my Kimber Tactical Pro 45 ACP loaded with Federal 230 gr HST's. Both shots were in the shoulder and exited the off side. I ran up to him and gave him a coup de grace at the back of his head and lights out.

JD338

Not hunting, but I had to shoot too many mule deer with my 45 ACP over the years, while I was a police officer. We built our town on their wintering area, and a hundred years later the deer still descend from the mountains to the flats where town is.

Dogs. Vehicles. Fences. All sorts of bad things happen to deer in town. :(

I used factory 230 grain Federal ammo, Hydra-Shocks at first and later a bonded +P 230 grainer that I think was only avail to law enforcement. It did 915 fps from the 5" barrel of my 1911.

Results? I'd call it "adequate" but not stellar. The Hydra Shocks in particular were disappointing. I got a lot of pass-through shots, apparently without much expansion.

The later ammo did much better. It was a bonded 230 gr JHP with a gaping wide cavity and a pretty good bump in velocity to 915. Still, the 55 grain soft point Federal ammo from the 223 AR-15 worked faster, better.

FWIW, Guy
Good info Guy. Adequate is kind of what I would be expecting. I know shot placement, angle, distance all come into play. Thanks for your impute. Dan.

I wounded a buck with my 44 Mag handgun and went looking for him. I walked up on him, he jumped up at 10 yards and I double tapped him with my Kimber Tactical Pro 45 ACP loaded with Federal 230 gr HST's. Both shots were in the shoulder and exited the off side. I ran up to him and gave him a coup de grace at the back of his head and lights out.

JD338
JD338 your follow up is what I saw my nephew do. It worked as needed. Thanks for sharing. Dan.

Back