.45 Colt, 300 gr cast...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
:grin: Cast Performance Bullets delivered the 300 gr cast, gas-checked bullets I ordered... They look great, as expected from CPB.

My son and I will be loading some for his .45 Colt Blackhawk, once we've come up with some empty brass by firing some more of the mild practice ammo we loaded up earlier... Looking forward to this!

Not looking for a high velocity load. I figure anything around 1000 - 1100 fps should be fine from the 4 5/8" Blackhawk.

Photos later.

You might find this site to be of interest. John Linebaugh has some properly tested load data for the Colt .45 round.
http://www.customsixguns.com/

I shoot my hot .45 loads in a 5.5" Ruger Bisley on the Super Blackhawk frame. You might have to have a taller front sight put on your gun. I found my Bisley shot about 6 to 8" high with the rear sight set as low as it would go. I ran into the same problem with 300 gr. bullets in my .44 Magnums as well. other that that accuracy was more than acceptable considering my not so hot handgun grouping abilities. :oops:
Paul B.

Looking forward to it Guy. I am really gunning for some 300's out of my 44, but I still gotta find a proper front sight first.

Had to double check my lower Colt loads,,,16 grs of 2400 is in that range and fun to shoot. I running a bit more in my pistol, but that's just my preference for hunting.

Back