50 gr Sierra Varminter or Blitzking for Coyote in 22-250?

tecumseh

Handloader
Oct 20, 2010
Shot the 22-250 over the weekend and it's shooting lights out with a 50 gr Blitzking and have a box of 50 gr Varminters I may try when time allows, is there any advantage of one over the other for Coyote hunting? This will be the first year using the Blitzkings in the field.

...they're both gonna be pretty frangible, but the higher B.C. of the BK will give you a little bit of an edge once you start getting out past 400yds...

I've used the 55 gr blitz in a .223 with great success , at 22-250 velocitys I have no doubt you will drop coyotes . I just hope you weren't planning on saving hides.

super-7":2xbgig11 said:
I've used the 55 gr blitz in a .223 with great success , at 22-250 velocitys I have no doubt you will drop coyotes . I just hope you weren't planning on saving hides.

I'm not worried about savin the hides, we need to take as many of em as much as we can, they're takin a toll on the deer where we hunt.

My cousins husband gets a considerable amount of $$ for his dog hides. Can't remember the exact total but four-six dogs was enough to buy a new rifle. Surely beats the alternative 8-5 gig. He's shooting 22-250, either 50 or 55gr. Good luck with the hunt-

Most any 22-250 bullets will work on coyotes. Some of the locals here use the 40 gr. Nosler BT as it blows up inside the coyote and doesn't tear them up..I've used many 22-250 bullets or all sorts on coyotes and they all work pretty good..If I was limited to one bullet it would be the 60 gr. Hornady SP or HP..It works in the Idaho windy Snake River Canyon and on chucks to deer if needed.

I've killed a few coyotes with both the 50 gr and 55 vr BTs from a 22-250.
Both work well but you need to stay off the big bones.

JD338

The 55gr BlitzKing has been one of my favorite coyote bullets. I don't save the hides either, as the bullets are very frangible, as well as consistently having the same results. Massive holes!

Back