55 grain .243 Win troubles?

taylorce1

Handloader
Jun 3, 2007
Well I went to try and find out if my .243 likes the 55 grain Nosler BT today. I was getting pressure signs real early which really supprised me. I took my load right out of Nosler's 5th edition reloading guide. I'm using H414 with CCI small rifle primers and Federal brass fired out of a Parker Hale Midland rifle.

I loaded up 5 cartridges each time I moved up a grain starting with 48.5 loading all the way up to 52.5 grains. My first 5 shot group shot just fine and my second group I noticed the bolt took a little more effort to open. On my third group of 5 (50.5 grains) I had to hold one hand on the buttstock to keep the rifle from lifting so I could work the bolt.

My primers appear normal as does the brass other than some scaring from the extractor on the head stamp on the 50.5 grain cartridges. I loaded the bullets .020 off the lands and thought about moving it in if I found a promising load, so I know the bullet wasn't touching the lands to start with. I went to Hogdon's web site and they showed that I should load from 45-50 grains.

I realize that the data in the reloading manuals are just guide lines and each rifle is different, but I've never had any rifle show pressure signs this early. I was thinking it might be something with the powder as I remember hearing that H414 could have pressure problems, but the temp was only low 60's today. This is the first time I've tried H414, I bought it because I found an 8lb container for $85 plus tax.

I guess it is back to the drawing board and I'll start out at 45 grains and work my way back up. Any suggestions or if you can think of somthing I'm missing would be greatly appreciated.

How did the rounds chamber? Any hint of resistance closing the bolt down?

JD338

Everything chamberd normal, I FL resized and trimmed all the brass prior to loading. I even cycled a couple of rounds just to make sure that everything was ok.

I just went to the range with a buddy and we loaded him up some 55 grainers in a 26" barrel rem at 50 grains. The loads clocked 3800-3830 with no pressure signs. In my ruger I had gotten up to the 52 grains and just over 4000 fps so I'm thinking we're gonna get there with his gun but wanted to start a tad lower and work up.
Re your gun a chrono can't tell you everything but it will lend advice to your situation if you can run some of the loadings over one. My last thought on that gun is.....are you sure the chamber walls on the gun are clean and that they aren't overly rough??

taylorce1":1lz34lyd said:
...........I'm using H414 with CCI small rifle primers and Federal brass fired out of a Parker Hale Midland rifle.

You do mean Large rifle primers right?

BTW this is where a chrono comes in handy. If you were getting 4000 fps from the starting load then ou know you're already at max. Again pending on the rifle.

You do mean Large rifle primers right?
Oops! :oops: You are right POP, CCI 200 large rifle.

I don't own a chronograph at the present time, thought about getting one. I just never really cared how fast my rounds were going as long as they were accurate. I have a friend who has offered to let me borrow his, I just don't want to be the one who shoots it first.

For what is worth, I have a Ruger M77 .243 Compact. To get my 55g BT to shoot right I had to stay at the low end.

55g BT
39g VARGET
Federal GM 210 Match primer
Bullet seated .0010 off the lans
15, 3 shot groups and the averse is .845 I have several under .5 and the best was .324.

I know I am only getting 3550 FPS but it shoots

But on the other end of the spectrum on the same gun, my hunting load is 95g CT BST and I have to run it at max to get consistency.

95g CT BST
43.5g of RL 22 (Nosler #5 shows 42.5 as max but I worked it up slowly, no sighs at all of pressure)
Fed GM 210M primer
Bullet seated .0030 of lans.
This load has averaged .812 after 20 3 shot groups.

Good luck

Txhntr":2sjl2p2x said:
For what is worth, I have a Ruger M77 .243 Compact. To get my 55g BT to shoot right I had to stay at the low end.

55g BT
39g VARGET
Federal GM 210 Match primer
Bullet seated .0010 off the lans
15, 3 shot groups and the averse is .845 I have several under .5 and the best was .324.

I know I am only getting 3550 FPS but it shoots

But on the other end of the spectrum on the same gun, my hunting load is 95g CT BST and I have to run it at max to get consistency.

95g CT BST
43.5g of RL 22 (Nosler #5 shows 42.5 as max but I worked it up slowly, no sighs at all of pressure)
Fed GM 210M primer
Bullet seated .0030 of lans.
This load has averaged .812 after 20 3 shot groups.

Good luck

I am surprised you are getting over 3500 fps with that light Varget load with the 55 gr bullet and the short barrel. Is that a 20" barrel or 16½?

Sorry,
Fat fingers.....3350FPS with my 16 1/2 barrel. Checked through a Pact Crono and a lapped bore, which I am still happy with, when I worked the load up I figured if I got 32, or 3250 that would be good. I was almost to the point where I wasn’t gaining much over my 95g load, as I kept showing her down, she keep getting tighter, but finaly stabilized real well at the load. I took it slower to see what would happen and the groups stared to open back up.

Back