55 Grain E-Tip in 223 Wylde/5.56 Nato

Joec7651

Handloader
Apr 7, 2019
I’ve been playing with E-Tips in my other calibers. I’m happy to say that my coyote rifle loves them. I have an AR-15 that I built from bare upper and lower receivers specifically for this purpose. It has a 24” bull barrel in 223 Wylde with 1:8 twist that’s putting them inside .5” at 100 yards, and less than 1.5” at 200 yards. The freebore of the Wylde chamber seems to be custom fit for the E-Tip bullets. With a 28 grain maximum charge(work up VERY slowly), and OAL straight from the Nosler manual it shoots perfectly. No pressure signs, primers look great, perfect feeding and extraction, great accuracy with Lake City brass, Remington 7 1/2 primers, and CFE 223 powder. Also by the trajectory of the ejected case it’s not overgassed at all with a rifle length gas system. I haven’t run them over my chrono yet but I’m a very happy camper here! Yotes beware!!!

I will add, that with the heavy bull barrel there is vey little report, and no recoil noticed at all. In the prone position you don’t even lose the sight picture with an 18x scope. I took one from a friends place on Wednesday that kept going after his little dog.

Interesting... Are you going with a lead-free coyote bullet because of regulations?

I'd think that little bullet would be dandy for deer as well, where it's legal to use a 223 for deer. Nosler ought to be applauded for making several deer-worthy .224" dia bullets.

"inside .5" at 100 yards" is very nice!

Guy

Guy Miner":7rvczxoc said:
Interesting... Are you going with a lead-free coyote bullet because of regulations?

I'd think that little bullet would be dandy for deer as well, where it's legal to use a 223 for deer. Nosler ought to be applauded for making several deer-worthy .224" dia bullets.

"inside .5" at 100 yards" is very nice!

Guy

I probably won’t use them for coyotes to be honest. They are a little pricey for that. I’ve had great results from the 55gr Hornady SP on coyotes. It doesn’t mention that it is but it’s a boat tail bullet. They’ve worked pretty good for me on them.

As far as deer? I don’t doubt that it could break the neck or get into or through the boiler room being monolithic. I wouldn’t intentionally use the .224 caliber for deer. I have better suited calibers for that task. However if it were a shot of opportunity I would take if if legal.

Joe

Back