6.5-284 norma

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
Hi Folks,

I am thinking of getting a new rifle in this caliber (later on this year) for long range hunting on deer-sized game.

What info can you give me on this ?

Does anyone have practical experience with this caliber ?

Am I making a good choice or there's something better out there ?

I am not really interested in higher calibers like the 7 Rem. or 300 Win. (do not get me wrong...I know they are good :wink: ).

Thank you.

Cheers
BJ

All my info is from a few friends who shoot the 6.5-284 in long-range (1000 yard) competition.

They tell me a long-action rifle is required if you want a repeater, but most of them don't care because they shoot them as a single shot anyway. They load the bullets seated out very far, making the cartridge too long to feed through a short-action rifle.

Most of them replace the barrel every year, running out of accurate barrel life at around 1,500 rounds - but these guys are high-level competitors who will not accept a rifle that doesn't shoot extremely well.

The 6.5-284 has really done well in long-range competition over the past 10 or 12 years...

Here's an excellent article on the 6.5-284:

http://www.6mmbr.com/SixFive284.html

Regards, Guy

Bluejay,

I've developed loads for a couple of 6.5-284 rifles. They shot well. I can't say that it was better than other cartridges, but it was fun if for no other reason than there weren't many around. For long-range shooting, the cartridge will work well. What would you be shooting primarily? I would encourage you to pursue the project.

The 6.5's are phenominal with the high B.C.'s
I believe most to be using a 1:8, 1:8.5 twist barrel to shoot the heavier 140, 142 grain bullets that are out there.
Nosler has both the 130 & 140 grain Accubonds now available in the 6.5.

I can tell you the 130gr does very well on elk !

Let us know what you decide on .....

DrMike":1ugumwyf said:
Bluejay,

I've developed loads for a couple of 6.5-284 rifles. They shot well. I can't say that it was better than other cartridges, but it was fun if for no other reason than there weren't many around. For long-range shooting, the cartridge will work well. What would you be shooting primarily? I would encourage you to pursue the project.

Main game would be Roe Deer and Chamois (similar to your mountain goat) and even Stag in a (hopefully) short future.

I hunt in the Alps and I often need to shoot through valleys and there's always some wind drift involved.

I have read this caliber should be quite good in penetrating the wind...

I intend to buy a standard built rifle and, at the moment, I am drawn towards the R93 Blaser Offroad (synthetic stock and 26" barrel length).

I'd like also to shoot some "hunter's class" once in a while.

I bet the VLD 140 grs. Berger bullet will be a winner !

:wink:

Back