6.5 Grendel & Leverevolution

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Took my daughter and her "new" 6.5 Grendel to the range with 123 gr SST and leverevolution powder. Best was right at max at 31.5 gr and 2490-2515 fps, so I'm just going to call it 2500, which is nothing to sneeze at. I took her old 5.56 and outfitted it with a new 18" Faxon Grendel barrel, magazine and bolt head. This should make a fine coyote and whitetail load. And she couldn't be more proud of the Punisher Skull with a hair bow we had laser engraved on the lower

Attachments

• IMG_1830.jpg
    IMG_1830.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 1,510
  • IMG_1829.jpg
    IMG_1829.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,509
The best times I’ve ever had hunting have been with my daughters, and son. Soon to be my granddaughter and grandson. When it was just me I’d want to put that once in a lifetime trophy on the wall. When they started going with me I prayed it would be them that put it down. Once they started going I didn’t care if I saw game or not, from then on it was working to put them on game.

Joec7651":3gzsbfps said:
The best times I’ve ever had hunting have been with my daughters, and son. Soon to be my granddaughter and grandson. When it was just me I’d want to put that once in a lifetime trophy on the wall. When they started going with me I prayed it would be them that put it down. Once they started going I didn’t care if I saw game or not, from then on it was working to put them on game.

Ya know, I'm that way..My youngest daughter is 22 and she is the one that hunts and fishes with me when she's home from college and that's her rifle. And I have a couple grandsons from my older daughters and I'm just waiting for them to get a few more years under their belts to go hunting. Two of the guys I hunt with have young sons and I'm happier to see one of them score a nice buck than if I got it.

hunter24605":1d7gki53 said:
Ya know, I'm that way..My youngest daughter is 22 and she is the one that hunts and fishes with me when she's home from college and that's her rifle. And I have a couple grandsons from my older daughters and I'm just waiting for them to get a few more years under their belts to go hunting. Two of the guys I hunt with have young sons and I'm happier to see one of them score a nice buck than if I got it.
I don’t think we are able to turn the “dad/grandpa” genes inside us off. My son laughs at me when we are in deer camp. He’s a Ranger and just submitted his package for Special Forces selection, and I still worry about him getting lost or taking a bad step. He gives me a hard time saying “Dad, if anyone gets carried up a mountain it will be you old man.” I can’t help it, he’ll always be my little boy.

That will get the job done on deer. In my experience that is about the same velocity factory 123 SST ammo runs and I have been told that this bullet will stay super sonic to 1000 yards at that speed. I have hunted the past two seasons with the 6.5 Grendel ARs. One has a 20" BCA barrel the other an 18" Oden Works. Long story with the BCA which included having to send it back for replacement but I have found a load that it will shoot sub MOA with IMR 8208 and Speer 120 Gold Dots or Sierra Pro Hunters. The Oden Works barrel shoots well with most anything except the 123 SST bullet. Neither of my rifles would shoot this bullet well in either factory or any hand load. Year before last I shot a deer with the 20" and the 120 Gold Dot. AWESOME results, bang flop and wicked damage to vitals. Shot was to center of chest as the deer faced me at 111 yards. Penetration was about 21 inches with no fragmentation with an exit out the belly the size of my thumb. Shot was on a downward angle from a shooting house. I used the Oden 18" with the 120 Sierra PH last year. Shot was off handed as the dee stood broadside at about 65 yards high shoulder shot and bang flop. Bullet did not exit and I did not do much searching for it or any fragments because it was COLD and getting late at night when I was processing with a gutless method. It did smash the onside scapula and a 2 to 3 inch section of spine and broke the off side scapula. Both bullets average 2550 fps with sub MOA accuracy.

I have a little boy in my church that I have "adopted" so to speak. His step great grandfather gave him a old Winchester bolt rifle in 243 Win, can't remember the model but it was not a 70. It was in ruff shape. I cleaned it up and refinished the stock and bought him a good scope then worked up a load and sighted it in for him then loaded up 50 rounds and gave it all to him. He is a bit young, 6 years old, for this rifle but will grow into it in a couple years. He shoots his own cricket 22lr rifle and has killed some squirrels with it since he was 5 hunting with his grandfather. He has also killed a doe last year with his grandfather's crossbow. Even though he has been shooting a 410 shotgun this summer with no problems he will not even attempt to shoot the 243 because one of his dad's "friends" told him that it would "kick him into next week." If I can I am going to try to get him out with me and see if he will shoot my 20" BCA 6.5 Grendel and if he can handle it OK I may "lone" it to him. It has a multi position carbine stock that I can adjust to fit him. Oh, he has shot his dad's AR in 223 so I am not going to tell him my rifle is in 6.5 Grendel so he will not be scared of it. With the brake on it there is no difference in recoil that I can detect between the two calibers. I am trying to pass on to others what my dad, relatives and my neighbor did for me to influence me to be a hunter and shooter. I have no children of my own so I have to "adopt" them.

Excellent shooting. I started with Lever and 123’s in my Grendel. Need to get back to it. That’s a great looking combo.

SJB358":1wk4j044 said:
Excellent shooting. I started with Lever and 123’s in my Grendel. Need to get back to it. That’s a great looking combo.

Thanks! But one tends to get through the shooting session quickly when you're behind a rifle with that much pink on it..LOL....It was a cakewalk finding a good load with Lever. None of the Lever test loads were what I'd call bad, just didn't have the speed as near the top does..The only downside is that it seems to be a little dirty compared to CFE.

hunter24605":3egx2csx said:
SJB358":3egx2csx said:

Thanks! But one tends to get through the shooting session quickly when you're behind a rifle with that much pink on it..LOL....It was a cakewalk finding a good load with Lever. None of the Lever test loads were what I'd call bad, just didn't have the speed as near the top does..The only downside is that it seems to be a little dirty compared to CFE.

I'll have to get back after mine. I love that little Grendel round though.

My latest grendel loads im trying are with the 120gr E Tip and 127gr LRX with a healthy dose of TAC. I also picked up a box of standard 120gr BTs to give a go with as well.

Back