6.5 mm 120 gr ttsx advice?

did you shoot any groups at the 41.5 grain load ?

42.1 gr would be a pressure spike . if you're at or near max , I'd probably not go higher .

when I was trying TSX bullets I think I was at a .070 jump and the faster I pushed them the better they shot for me .

I did not shoot groups yet. I was just looking for a flat spot in velocity, and it seemed 41.5 was right in the middle of a velocity node. I will try groups next at 41.5 and seated .070",090", and .100" I do believe 42.1 was a pressure spike, because I had a pretty steady velocity rise all throughout the powder range until 42.1
Today I'll do the same test, but with RL16. I usually do the OCW test to find a node, but thought I'd try this way too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwess1113":t0zu3va2 said:
I've always had best luck seating Barnes TSX/TTSX at a depth where the bottom of the top band is even with the top of the neck or just slightly deeper

Me too in ever rifle I've shot them in.

post up what you find out , good or bad , I'm interested in seeing how this works out .

but the one thing that jumps out at me doing this is , the ES of the load . I think it would be very hard to find a flat spot in the velocity if your combo has a high ES . I'm assuming your velocity numbers are from one shot each . if this works out it sure is a dandy short cut .

I'm going to build a load in the near future , I'll give this velocity flat spot a try too . to see if it gets my load on track quicker . maybe combine the flat spot with the OBT on quickload and see what it says .

I always crimp my TSX and TTSX loads. There is a lack of bearing surface area due to the grooves. Especially in relatively short necked cartridges. I use the Lee factory crimp die and have had a couple custom made just for the TSX bullets.

I originally ran into trouble with the TSX in my 300 rum. The bullets would push back into the case badly, both during recoil and transporting. I have had problems with compressed loads growing longer over time.

The LFC die fixes those issues and I believe gives more consistent neck tension and better accuracy.

photobucket finally let me copy the link . this info used to be packaged with their TSX bullets .

jimbires":yr2ty81f said:
post up what you find out , good or bad , I'm interested in seeing how this works out .

but the one thing that jumps out at me doing this is , the ES of the load . I think it would be very hard to find a flat spot in the velocity if your combo has a high ES . I'm assuming your velocity numbers are from one shot each . if this works out it sure is a dandy short cut .

I'm going to build a load in the near future , I'll give this velocity flat spot a try too . to see if it gets my load on track quicker . maybe combine the flat spot with the OBT on quickload and see what it says .

I'm doing the same thing with a few loads myself Jim.

jimbires":3rkg2mxr said:

I saw this on the 6.5 Guys you tube channel. I'm hoping this works out also, because the usual OCW test eats up quite a bit of powder and bullets. The guys were explaining it and making it sound so simple, and hopefully it is lol. Them Barnes are pretty salty for only fifty bullets haha. Im doing the same test but with RL16 today, and I'll post those results and soon as I get them finished. I've had excellent results so far with low sd's and RL16, but I worked that load up with the conventional OCW test.

Thebear_78":13p4jsr6 said:
I always crimp my TSX and TTSX loads. There is a lack of bearing surface area due to the grooves. Especially in relatively short necked cartridges. I use the Lee factory crimp die and have had a couple custom made just for the TSX bullets.

I originally ran into trouble with the TSX in my 300 rum. The bullets would push back into the case badly, both during recoil and transporting. I have had problems with compressed loads growing longer over time.

The LFC die fixes those issues and I believe gives more consistent neck tension and better accuracy.

I have a Lee factory crimp die, so I'll have to try this also.

SJB358":1i7y4cqx said:
jimbires":1i7y4cqx said:

I'm doing the same thing with a few loads myself Jim.

keep me in the loop , Scotty . thanks fellas .

d3f22b2326900bfedb5ac5a754eb5f76.jpg
Here are the results with RL16 today. Velocity was very shifty for some reason. May be due to magnetospeed constantly slipping down the barrel. I believe 43.3 will be a good spot to do further testing with this week. Will be trying both RL17 at 41.5 gr and 16 at 43.3 with seating depth changes after work one day. Also see if this works out with low SD's. Which hopefully it will do I can start saving more ammo on load development lol.

Wis65x55":185lbbrs said:
I would encourage you to also look at the flat spot that I am seeing at 40.6gr.
Keith
Definetley a flat spot there also.

43 gr to 43.4 IMO.
Your 43 speed was higher than the next two so include it. Probably an aberration on 43 but I'd load 43.2 at a couple depths and see what you get.

Barnes seem to like to jump. In my 257 Weatherby the 100s liked 120 jump FWIW.

Dwh7271":nnwwio31 said:
43 gr to 43.4 IMO.
Your 43 speed was higher than the next two so include it. Probably an aberration on 43 but I'd load 43.2 at a couple depths and see what you get.

Barnes seem to like to jump. In my 257 Weatherby the 100s liked 120 jump FWIW.
Got some ready now at .070,.090,and .100.
.90 and .100 were starting to compress with RL16. If I get off work in time tm I'm gonna try them out.

I do see what you are doing . on today's test , I'd be looking at 42.2 , 42.4 , 42.6 . I don't know what happened at 42.4 but it doesn't make sense . I'd guess the wider flat spots are better , being more forgiving ?

No clue what happened at 42.4 either. Hoping it was just my magnetospeed where it was slipping on the barrel. Had to stop a few times and readjust it. First time it's slipped on me was today. Guess I just didn't have it tightened enough. Don't really know if that affects magnetospeed or not though.

You could just get a 7-08 and some cfe223 or a few different powers and shoot the 120ttsx at 3200 fps. I've had 3 7-08 now a could achieve that speed with all three. A 120 ttsx out of a creedmore at 2800-2900 is pretty gay. The bc difference is minimal. Those 120 sure lay deer down in a hurry inside of 300 yards.

CDNhunter":u9bygqxp said:
You could just get a 7-08 and some cfe223 or a few different powers and shoot the 120ttsx at 3200 fps. I've had 3 7-08 now a could achieve that speed with all three. A 120 ttsx out of a creedmore at 2800-2900 is pretty gay. The bc difference is minimal. Those 120 sure lay deer down in a hurry inside of 300 yards.

I can run a 130 TTSX UP TO 3800fps in my 300 RUM, but don't think your 7/08 is "gay". It's also equally as non pertinent to the original post as yours.

No animal will be able to tell the difference at any reasonable range. I don't have a creedmoor but think it's a great little round.

Back