6.5 mm 120 gr ttsx advice?

Overall very happy with how this test turned out. I'm more than satisfied, all these loads would be fine for me and my hunting. Which would y'all choose RL17 and slightly better accuracy, or RL16 for temp stability,speed and still good accuracy??
d59c61fe5d0ab5d05b3d7c3219f18202.jpg
fa6572ccdefd497a2c03b1d227ab3f01.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overall very happy with how this test turned out. I'm more than satisfied, all these loads would be fine for me and my hunting. Which would y'all choose RL17 and slightly better accuracy, or RL16 for temp stability,speed and still good accuracy??
d59c61fe5d0ab5d05b3d7c3219f18202.jpg
fa6572ccdefd497a2c03b1d227ab3f01.jpg

lol I have my doubts thinking the stars just magically aligned on that one haha. I have a teaspoon left of RL17, and 2 3/4 lb of RL16. So that figures lol.

All y'all were right though they really tighten up around .100 jump

They're fine loads. Nicely done.
I agree, they'll both do fine.
Fwiw, the only thing I would consider differently would be if you're really going to stretch them out, past 600 or so. If that were the case, I would take the load with the most accuracy and lowest ES as that will cut down on vertical at distance. If you're not going to stretch it then ignore this. :grin:

Dwh7271":1iw090tj said:
They're fine loads. Nicely done.
I agree, they'll both do fine.
Fwiw, the only thing I would consider differently would be if you're really going to stretch them out, past 600 or so. If that were the case, I would take the load with the most accuracy and lowest ES as that will cut down on vertical at distance. If you're not going to stretch it then ignore this. :grin:
While I would love to become skilled at long range, there just isn't any place locally I could practice. Where I hunt 300 yards is a long long shot lol. Truthfully that is as far as I can honestly take an ethical shot. Hopefully one day i can have a place to shoot steel a long ways off. I envy you guys that live out west in all that open country. I am glad this little test worked out though, gonna save me a lot of bullets haha. Now if I can only grab some RL17 and hopefully it burns close to the same I just finished off!

I do think RL 16 would still be a great choice also, plus it's supposedly very temp stable. That really doesn't matter here in Mississippi though. But I do have two lbs of the same lot #, and 3/4 lb of a different lot# I've been doing all my testing with. The speeds I got today were slower than what I got the other day though. But the other day I was shooting them through a very warm barrel. Today I was pressed for time so I left truck running with ac on high about 7-10 minutes between groups. The barrel would be ice cold when I'd get it back out, so that may be the reason

Wouldn't feel in the least inhibited with a max charge of RL16 according to your results. For the velocity differential, I'd still lean toward the RL17--especially if the results are reproducible.

Yeah I'm gonna have to get some more RL 17 just to see if it is consistent.

I use RL17 in my one rifle , I don't see a problem with it . all you should need to do when switching powder lots is adjust the powder charge weight to get your velocity back to where it is now .

jimbires":2ifx1uoz said:
I use RL17 in my one rifle , I don't see a problem with it . all you should need to do when switching powder lots is adjust the powder charge weight to get your velocity back to where it is now .
I'm gonna have to get some more I guess. Keep it for the 120's, and RL16 for the 140's

Cleveland48":29fbns43 said:
jimbires":29fbns43 said:
I'm gonna have to get some more I guess. Keep it for the 120's, and RL16 for the 140's

That is a great plan. Very nice work. It was cool to see how well it worked for you.

I'm more than satisfied how it worked out with such low SD's with both powders. Usually if I try something new it never works as planned lol

I hear you there. I am just about to start with my 338 and 210 Swift's. I hope it works half as well as what you showed.

I was unimpressed with RL17 for the first year after it was released. I just didn't see all that much advantage in many cartridges. However, as I've used it in the field, I've come to class it as one of my best powders, especially in standard cartridges. I do like it in quite a variety.

Back