6.5 PRC 150 ABLRs and Magnum

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I decided to put my first attempt out with the 150 Noslers. I measured and saw they touched at 3.00 COAL so I did the load work 50 thou back. I’m still using the Hornady cases I fired from factory ammo this past fall. Cases are holding up okay at this point. Probably 4-5 firings on them so far. I used CCI250’s and Magnum powder.

i found a decent spot around 62.5 grains. Not as tight as I’d like but I’ve worked with worse. I loaded up three to put on paper at last light.

Sometimes they come together easy, sometimes they don’t:whistle:

But I do like the rifle quite alot

Nice shooting and the wood is beautiful, 60.5 to 61 grains seems like a flat spot but node looks narrow. Worth a try from 60 to 62 grains, and maybe closer to the lands at .010" off

Nice shooting and the wood is beautiful, 60.5 to 61 grains seems like a flat spot but node looks narrow. Worth a try from 60 to 62 grains, and maybe closer to the lands at .010" off
Have you had good luck with the ABLR that close to the lands Mark?

I do believe that rifle is chomping at the bits to hunt for you, Scotty. I'd be inclined to allow even a bit more jump with that bullet.

Scotty 61.8gns of magnum is working really well for me in the 6.5. I'm using a 140gn hornady bthp at .025 off the lands. When i did the load work up it shot a true 1 hole group that measured .375.

Have you had good luck with the ABLR that close to the lands Mark?
The only time I ever tried the ABLR in the 7 Mag, I stopped using them since it was so fussy. I tried at least 3 powders and different seating depths touching, and as far out as .060" and did not shoot decent groups so I gave up, switched to Ballistic Tips and Accubonds.

I do believe that rifle is chomping at the bits to hunt for you, Scotty. I'd be inclined to allow even a bit more jump with that bullet.
Next time out I’ll bring them back to 75 off and see what the paper says.

Scotty 61.8gns of magnum is working really well for me in the 6.5. I'm using a 140gn hornady bthp at .025 off the lands. When i did the load work up it shot a true 1 hole group that measured .375.
thanks Sako. That’s a good shooting bullet as well. The 139 Scenar will be up next if these 150 Noslers dont perk.

The only time I ever tried the ABLR in the 7 Mag, I stopped using them since it was so fussy. I tried at least 3 powders and different seating depths touching, and as far out as .060" and did not shoot decent groups so I gave up, switched to Ballistic Tips and Accubonds.

Im going to toss them at the rifling next mark. See what I can do.

When i was doing load development for my 300 win mag with the 190 ablr a tech at nosler told me to get them within .050 of the lands.

When i was doing load development for my 300 win mag with the 190 ablr a tech at nosler told me to get them within .050 of the lands.
I’ve tried about 10 different ABLRs and I’ve never had luck closer than 50 with most being super around 75 to .1” back.

I’ve tried about 10 different ABLRs and I’ve never had luck closer than 50 with most being super around 75 to .1” back.
That has been my experience as well. They like a good leap like their older brother, the AB.

I'll have to look , I think the two rifles I've used them in were jumping more than .050

my Mashburn shooting the 175 ABLR's I'm jumping .070 . I don't have any seating depth test targets . I think .070 jump was obviously better in this rifle . this is a target shot with my final load .

P8160915.JPG

in the 260 , I'm jumping .050 with the 129 ABLR's . this rifle just shoots about everything small . these are seating test targets at minimum powder charge . I don't have a final load target , my notes are 51.0 gr RL26 at 3075 FPS with a .050 jump .

P7120101.JPG

P7120102.JPG

P7120103.JPG

I backed another 25 off and got this tonight.

I keep running out of daylight. Darned work getting in the way of the important stuff.

Jim I believe my Mashburn is 75 off as well with the 175’s. Shoots like it has eyes.

Dang, that's a dandy rifle and some fine shooting! I'll have to work on the 150's soon as I can get a chance..If you try the 142 ABLR, reloder 23 is a fine choice. Might also be good for the 150 AB, as well. Can't remember the speed, I'll have to look in my notes, but it must have fine because I loaded them for hunting.
IMG_1718 (1).jpg

I believe this 150 ABLR is kicking my butt fellas. Not sure I can stay with it.

I could try a different powder or try the 2.815 maybe but nothing has blown my socks off with this bullet so far.

Dang, that's a dandy rifle and some fine shooting! I'll have to work on the 150's soon as I can get a chance..If you try the 142 ABLR, reloder 23 is a fine choice. Might also be good for the 150 AB, as well. Can't remember the speed, I'll have to look in my notes, but it must have fine because I loaded them for hunting.
View attachment 16442
I’d be done if I saw anything close to that Hunter. Very nice. How far from the lands are you?

I had great trouble getting the ABLR to work in a variety of rifles. I used it in one cartridge that worked out for me--a 280 Remington. Other than that, I haven't been able to get an ABLR to work for me. AccuBonds have always worked well for me. The cousin is turning into an ugly duckling.

I had great trouble getting the ABLR to work in a variety of rifles. I used it in one cartridge that worked out for me--a 280 Remington. Other than that, I haven't been able to get an ABLR to work for me. AccuBonds have always worked well for me. The cousin is turning into an ugly duckling.
I know Mike. I had to try!

Scotty - have you annealed your brass or tried some new brass?

That can make a significant difference.

Guy

Back