6.5 SAUM or 6.5 WSM

bigd7378

Beginner
Oct 23, 2011
I've been contemplating a new build. I'm torn between the 6.5 SAUM and the 6.5 WSM. I really don't won't to go so big as the 26 Nosler. I have a spare winchester that I'm gonna build on. What are your guys thoughts. I want to have a 26" barrel and can load out to a max OAL of 3.075". 65000 PSI. .Gonna run the 129 & 142 ABLR when i can get some????? anyways how does these two compare on quick load with the mentioned bullets, Any help would be appreciated

Between the two I would choose the WSM for the simple reason that SAUM cases are going to be if not already are a thing of the past. 6.5-284 makes more since to me. Just my 2 cents worth.

1Shot":wjqtqq52 said:
Between the two I would choose the WSM for the simple reason that SAUM cases are going to be if not already are a thing of the past. 6.5-284 makes more since to me. Just my 2 cents worth.

And a good two cents it is. SAUM cases can be difficult to find. They can be made from Ultra Mag cases, but that requires some work.

What do you have for an action first of all? Short or long?

I'd go with the WSM because of brass. But either will do fine. The WSM does have a little more capacity as well.

winchester wsm action. I have a ton of 7mm wsm brass. I really want to build a 6.5-7mm wsm

G'Day Fella's,

Bigd7378, a local bloke I know went the 6.5 SAUM path and is very happy with it.
Another couple of short action factory options that you may not be aware of, are the 6.5-284 and the old 6.5 Rem Magnum?

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Having seen how well a 264 WSM runs, I'd vote that away.. I'd probably sell off that 7mm WSM brass to some poor "under supplied 7mm WSM shooter" and use 270 WSM brass... :lol:

SJB358":1m31n0wp said:
Having seen how well a 264 WSM runs, I'd vote that away.. I'd probably sell off that 7mm WSM brass to some poor "under supplied 7mm WSM shooter" and use 270 WSM brass... :lol:
I see someone needs some more 7mm WSM brass! Wonder who that might be? :lol: (y)

I'm thinking that I want to do the 6.5-7WSM because I have so much brass. I already have two 7WSM's just that I have always wanted a 6.5. My only concern is that I'm thinking the neck is gonna be to short! I'm thinking that it should run pretty good with all the new powders that are out.

...there might be some advantages to the SAUM, 6.5X284, or 6.5 RM, but since yer pretty much set for a WSM, I'd go w/ it...

...since there are dimension differences in the .270/ 7mm WSM, make sure you specify 6.5X7mm WSM. Necks will be a little short, but should still be plenty long enough to grab & support the bullet, & you should have plenty of room to seat out even the longer 6.5 bullets. You don't have to trim the cases "short", just watch to make sure they're not getting too long...

I went with the 6.5/300 WSM and I love the cartridge, even mildly loaded to 3050 FPS w/the 140's accuracy is second to none and the recoil is nothing even in a light weight rifle, mine wears a 24.5" barrel, it was 25". I had lots of Norma brass for as well but honestly necking them down was a pain in the rear and the necks became thick even for a chamber with a .300" neck which I called for, so I ended up using 270 WSM brass. One pass through the die and they're done, easy, no work involved what so ever neck turning.

The 6.5 SAUM 4s does require some neck turning and a bit more work but allows the bullets to be seated further out. But honestly I have no issues using the 140 & 142 SMK or the 140 SGK, all three have only the BT below the neck in the case in my Kimber 8400 Action. All three shoot the same powder and 1/2 gr. differences between all three. I only had issues with the really long VLD's deep into the case, something I'm not fond of.

You might have to buy a reamer for the 6.5/7mm WSM vs. most already have a 6.5/300 WSM on hand? Depends on whom you go to. Plus the custom dies since Redding already has the 6.5 WSM but off the 300 case.

Good luck, either way it's a neat package that makes a lot of sense for a fast 6.5 in a short action but so does the 6.5-284 if you went the other way......... super popular and a viable cartridge over the rest of them in that bore ratio.

Longrange hunter, I'm leaning toward the 6.5-7mm WSM, since I have so much brass. What powders are you running? I have on hand Retumbo, norma 217, imr 7977 and RL 33. I'm looking for RL 26 also.

1Shot":8ar69l6z said:

If I build a new Rifle this would be it 6.5-285.

Retumbo worked the best for me with all three bullets.

1100 Rem. Man.............. Don't you mean 6.5-284WSM? It is best to keep it simple with the naming of a wildcat to easily identify the parent case and the bullet diameter......... 6.5/7mmWSM is easy to identify.

Back