6.5 Swede 140 AB RL26

SJB358":1eu59nds said:
22" Model 70 Jim.
That's the exact kind I used to have. Still wanna punch myself in the face for letting it get away! I really wish I would have had some RL26 when I owned it. 2890's with a 140 is just stone cold killer! I think I'm gonna have to call my older brother and tell him I want the Swede back [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJB358":8q0on3ky said:
22" Model 70 Jim.
That's the exact kind I used to have. Still wanna punch myself in the face for letting it get away! I really wish I would have had some RL26 when I owned it. 2890's with a 140 is just stone cold killer! I think I'm gonna have to call my older brother and tell him I want the Swede back [emoji16]

Cleveland48":updetln2 said:
SJB358":updetln2 said:
22" Model 70 Jim.

Don't tell him you want that Swede to come home! Demand that it come home! :mrgreen: Always hard to have let something precious such as that slip from one's grasp. However, we've all been there.

True DrMike I may just have to offer him my first born male child ( if I ever have one that is) lol

With modern rifles 2700 is handicapping yourself. I'm over book max with no pressure signs running 2900+ with 140gr bullets in my rebarrelled Savage. Mostly 4831sc and IMR 4955.

I took the little 6.5 Swede out this morning to get the zero squared up at 250. I think I was sandbagging a little in the beginning, but once I got back into the swing of things it shot pretty well..

I was kinda mad as I know the rifle will do better... So off I went on the next three..

Much happier with that but I really need to pay more attention to the U and D on these scopes... :lol:

3rd group I just fired a pair..

Getting closer........

And the 4th and final group for the day is still a skosh outta center but I think I can refine it pretty quick next time out..

It is a sweet heart of a rifle, shoots just about everything pretty well and RL26 turns it into a firebreather in my opinion. Not too far off of traditional 270 Win/140 grain loads. A little extra BC on the 6.5's as well..

SJB358":3ogjtdov said:
I took the little 6.5 Swede out this morning to get the zero squared up at 250. I think I was sandbagging a little in the beginning, but once I got back into the swing of things it shot pretty well..

I was kinda mad as I know the rifle will do better... So off I went on the next three..

Much happier with that but I really need to pay more attention to the U and D on these scopes... :lol:

3rd group I just fired a pair..

Getting closer........

And the 4th and final group for the day is still a skosh outta center but I think I can refine it pretty quick next time out..

It is a sweet heart of a rifle, shoots just about everything pretty well and RL26 turns it into a firebreather in my opinion. Not too far off of traditional 270 Win/140 grain loads. A little extra BC on the 6.5's as well..
Beautiful rifle! Really making me want mine back now.

If you want velocity your need barrel length. LOL I have one Mauser 96 Swede 6.5x55 that I picked up at a gun show a number of years ago that some Bubba had already started hacking on. So I decided to sport it. I left the 29" barrel alone. With loads according to Accurate Arms that are under 46000 CUP which is max pressure for these small ring Mauser rifles I get 2800 fps with 140s with 45 grs AA 4350 and 3000 fps with 120s with 46 grs AA 4350 and they shoot bug holes.

I've got a model 70 featherweight but it isnt in a cool clambering like 6.5x55 or 7x57. Very nice. I also used to have a 96 swedish mauser that I got from Big 5 for $100. Pretty neat piece of history. I traded it away to somebody that wanted it more than me.

I’m pretty good with the 2900 it’s kicking with the 140’s. It shoots decent and is a pleasure to shoot.

Gotta love the 6.5 Swede!

No matter the rifle or the load, they are just fun to shoot and hunt with!
So glad to finally have a left handed Sako to enjoying this cartridge in! Proving to be accurate with factory ammo so far.
Nothing wrong with the two Remington 700 Classics that I owned previously. Just enjoying the lefty more!

Used to put 500 to 700 rounds a year through the first Classic. The second was not as accurate, but had prettier wood. Should not have sold either...but now I have what I really wanted!
5 rounds with the max load of IMR 4350 and the 140 gr Barnes X bullet would go less than 1" at 200 yards.
Never did chrony that load, but it was a joy to shoot and worked well and n moose, deer and a stone's sheep.

SJB,
If you don’t mind me asking, what brass are you using and what is your OAL? Are the loads compressed at 53 grains? I’ve got a tikka 6.5 Swede that shoots the factory Nosler 140 AB great, but want to get the velocity up to at least 2,800. Thanks!
Marty (aka Kimber7man)

I have a mod 70 fwt in 6.5x55 that groups 140s with rl22 best so far. Will have to give rl26 a try sometime. Thanks for sharing, Dan.

mwess1113":32o6erge said:
SJB,
If you don’t mind me asking, what brass are you using and what is your OAL? Are the loads compressed at 53 grains? I’ve got a tikka 6.5 Swede that shoots the factory Nosler 140 AB great, but want to get the velocity up to at least 2,800. Thanks!
Marty (aka Kimber7man)

Marty, I am at 3.045” COAL using Hornady cases for this load. The bullet may be lightly touching the powder at 53.3 but I can still hear it when I shake them. You’ll have no issue getting 2800 with 26. Accuracy may be different but speed comes very easy with it. I’ve probably got more but I’m good where I’m at.

wvbuckbuster":32o6erge said:
I have a mod 70 fwt in 6.5x55 that groups 140s with rl22 best so far. Will have to give rl26 a try sometime. Thanks for sharing, Dan.

Dan, 26 is really something in quite a few cartridges. It’s pretty speedy in the Swede.

mwess1113":2bp15uqz said:
Thanks, I’m starting with Lapua brass so will start around 49 or 50 grains.

I have a brand new bunch of Lapua brass, but I had the Hornady all prepped and ready for right now. I may try the 142 ABLR out in the Lapua brass and see how those work in the Swede. Think those might be some evil demons in that rifle as well.

Back