6.5 x 54 m.S.

SJB358":317ycrkx said:
That's awesome ET! Those rifles are amazing little guns and anything 6.5mm is cool. Alot of efficiency with that little bullet.

Glad you are getting some hunting with the stutzen. That sure is a handy looking little rifle.

Yup, definitely Buddy,
Not too much MV with these old MSch stutzens, the bullet doesn’t need it, but good solid strikes that really do the biz.
Breaks shoulder bones, does lots of internal damage and drops them on the spot.
Close’ish range yup, but hey there’s nothing wrong with that. Getting in for the shot is a great challenge, a real buzz.

I just saw today that PPU is making ammo for the 6.5x54 MS with the 156 gr bullet.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone

George, Scotty, thanks for the p.m. and help

It has been decided, mainly at the advice of those who will take her out each day. to take both rifles on all hunts and "whatever" presents itself to her, under 100 yards she will use the 6.5., maybe even on more than one animal if the situation presents itself. But her 7mm-08 will be the rifle she will use most often. Basically a gun bearer will be added to the hunt, which has her all excited, as I am sure, she has something besides sugar plums dancing in her head about this hunt.LOL.

Also, the fellows in Africa are recommending the 160, if it shoots well. 140 and 160 Woodleighs have ben ordered and her father will see which shoots the best in the old girl and also she will start shooting the rifle, so she will be ready when the times comes.

I want to thank all of you gentlemen for your kind assistance.

oh by the way George the Stutzen looks in better shape than I do and believe it or not it is even older

If her dad doesn't have one tell him to pick up a copy of Hodgdon's 2019 reloading manual as there is an article by Terry Wieland on the 6.5x54 in it. Dan.

ElmerThud":7wvxjvte said:
SJB358":7wvxjvte said:
That's awesome ET! Those rifles are amazing little guns and anything 6.5mm is cool. Alot of efficiency with that little bullet.

Glad you are getting some hunting with the stutzen. That sure is a handy looking little rifle.

Yup, definitely Buddy,
Not too much MV with these old MSch stutzens, the bullet doesn’t need it, but good solid strikes that really do the biz.
Breaks shoulder bones, does lots of internal damage and drops them on the spot.
Close’ish range yup, but hey there’s nothing wrong with that. Getting in for the shot is a great challenge, a real buzz.

That’s a fact. Close is always more fun!

Sounds like an excellent hunting trip for your granddaughter Europe & two rifles is always better than one. 7mm08 is a good cartridge too.
It would be nice to know which part of Africa the hunt is booked in.
But wherever, it definitely sounds a good trip. Africa is magical, especially Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. South Africa is fine too in the wilder parts. Mostly though the hunting is ‘ranched’ but Namibia .. well, I haven’t been there, but it’s sure on my bucket list. I have a French friend who’s been there twice hunting and he loves the country and hunting there.
He’s nipping over to Ireland next week shooting some sika (Japs) deer.

@Hawkeyes, I know about PPU ammunition in MSch. Never tried it as I roll my own, but only ever bought RWS although I think Norma also still make 6.5x54....anyway, Norma definitely make the brass, and good brass it is too.

As a side note, I found a man here in UK who has a super MSch stutzen .. De-activated!
It’s in with a collection of old military firearms and it’s complete with original butt stock cleaning rods! Rare as rocking horse poo!
I don’t think he really knows what he’s got, so I’m going to try & wrestle it from him.... it also has double set triggers that I think/am sure I can fit to my Takedown.
It can’t easily be re-activated as it has a rod welded into the barrel and the firing pin has been cut.
But it is really useful for the spares that are serviceable.

hope you get that rifle George, good luck

We have friends in Namibia, so it will be there. I have been fortunate enough to hunt or be with those who hunted in a few countries and we also like Namibia --Good news, bad news on the big 5 there. You can hunt all 5, but they have fewer of them than other countries. But that is of little concern to us on this trip

thanks again guys

hodgeman":2nlg6xei said:
Just for kicks, let her read Bartlett's "The Last Voyage of the Karluk"...the 6.5x54 figures prominently and the crew shoots a pile of seals and more than a few polar bears with the rifle.

Hodgeman, this is a great book, love it!!! And, in Nunavut there are still a couple of these being used. They are pretty cool actually.

Hodgeman, Elmerthudd, April, Scotty- The knock on these are that the full length wood stock shrink and expand and screw up the accuracy--but the ones I mentioned have been used for years, they look terrible but still get the job done ?????? Are we talking Scotty type accuracy when they say this not average hunter accuracy ????

Thankful Otter":3jaae5gd said:
hodgeman":3jaae5gd said:
Just for kicks, let her read Bartlett's "The Last Voyage of the Karluk"...the 6.5x54 figures prominently and the crew shoots a pile of seals and more than a few polar bears with the rifle.

Hodgeman, this is a great book, love it!!! And, in Nunavut there are still a couple of these being used. They are pretty cool actually.

Hodgeman, Elmerthudd, April, Scotty- The knock on these are that the full length wood stock shrink and expand and screw up the accuracy--but the ones I mentioned have been used for years, they look terrible but still get the job done ?????? Are we talking Scotty type accuracy when they say this not average hunter accuracy ????
Gotta Love Thankful Otter's humor! LOL[emoji1787][emoji1787]

Too bad hardly no one makes a pointed hunting 156 or 160 gr bullet for the average 6.5, let alone for the 6.5x54 MS

Woodleigh is a PPSN I believe Hawkeye.

Cheyenne as far as accuracy goes I’m a schlub compared to these fellas on here. I wonder if sometimes they actually shoot more than one round looking st their groups. :mrgreen:

The Woodleigh 160 Weldcore is very accurate in my 6.5 CM which is certainly no speed demon at 2500. They have a bit of a flat point which gave me feeding issues at first.

HAWKEYESATX":2haqdhiq said:
I just saw today that PPU is making ammo for the 6.5x54 MS with the 156 gr bullet.

I fired some of this ammo in my Greek M1903 that somebody had shortened and made into a sporting rifle. It had a bit of a flattened point on the RN that didn't like to feed in my rifle without a little help. A thin coat of wax just on the exposed tip solved my problem. Hornady RN and 140 spitz fed flawlessly for me. Accuracy was mediocre compared to my handloads, high quality brass for reloading though and the ammo was cheaper than any source I found for the brass.

gbflyer and polaris--thanks guys

scotty that is true

cheyenne --all of these guys are too far out there for me, I thought a ladder test was checking to make sure it was level and on firm ground before you got on it

I do often wonder how we downed any critters in the 1940's using an old rifle, store bought ammo, my dad would tell me to hit those cans on the fence post and when I hit three in a row, he said "your ready"

But yes one of the things folks dont like about these old rifles, especially those with a full stock is the possibility the stock causing the zero to change---plus they are hard to scope and are basically a 150 yard rifle. But I still like them

My son has told me that GSC either make or will make a bullet for this rifle and the people in Africa tell me they buy Rhino bullets for theirs, but to date he is still planning on using the woodleighs. He, doesn't remember his dad mentioning any chambering problem, nor do I, but we will be watching for that as well, thank you

I’m a bit puzzled by the thinking the full stock on an old MSch would shift the zero.
Yup, I know it’s wood. Yup, I know humidity can affect wood.
But not the wood that’s so old and well seasoned like that used from 1903 to 1950’s manufactured stutzens.
That wood is so good, old and stable, it just doesn’t shift. - .. Not in any weather!

Now newer full stock stutzens, they’re a different ball game again.
They most certainly can be a pain. I know this for fact, I’ve had three of the Steyr Mannlicher stutzens...each a ball ache and requiring wood removed from the inner stock to give additional clearance due to humidity/dry weather movement.
I have now a Steyr Classic stutzen in 6.5x55SE I’ve worked on and which shoots beautifully.
But it didn’t .. .. not until I sorted out the stock muzzle cap interfering with the muzzle.

Just my honest opinion having owned three very old Mannlicher Schoenauers that never gave any zero shift issues (y) .... and three new/newer Steyr Mannlicher full stock stutzens that most certianly did :(

I have scoped my MSch Takedown using Ziegler & Recknagel ‘QD claw mount’ bases and rings to fit a Schmidt & Bender 8x56 scope, 30mm tube.
For those interested, I'll attach a few pics here so you see how it's been done.
Hopefully it makes sense.
Anyway, This year I’m going to get similar mounts & scope the MSch stutzen, but with a smaller 6x42 - 1” tube S&B scope.

One further point, with the scope detached, the iron sights on the rifle can still be used (including the flip up rear peep sight)

Incidentally and I think importantly, none of the fittings used interfere or damage ANY of the original manufacturers engraving/wording on any part of the receiver or barrel (y) .
I dislike the cheaper action sidemounts that do this, or the top action mounts that similarly disfigure the wording.
Maybe that's just me :cry:

Attachments

• A007 MSch Zeigler and Recknagle Parts.JPG
    A007 MSch Zeigler and Recknagle Parts.JPG
    558 KB · Views: 201
  • MSch Scope Mounts 10.JPG
    MSch Scope Mounts 10.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 201
  • MSch Scope Mounts 8.JPG
    MSch Scope Mounts 8.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 201
  • MSch Scope Mounts 6.JPG
    MSch Scope Mounts 6.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 201
  • MSch Scope Mounts 1.JPG
    MSch Scope Mounts 1.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 200
ElmerThud":2m9oy0m6 said:
I have scoped my MSch Takedown using Ziegler & Recknagel ‘QD claw mount’ bases and rings to fit a Schmidt & Bender 8x56 scope, 30mm tube.
For those interested, I'll attach a few pics here so you see how it's been done.
Hopefully it makes sense.
Anyway, This year I’m going to get similar mounts & scope the MSch stutzen, but with a smaller 6x42 - 1” tube S&B scope.

One further point, with the scope detached, the iron sights on the rifle can still be used (including the flip up rear peep sight)

Incidentally and I think importantly, none of the fittings used interfere or damage ANY of the original manufacturers engraving/wording on any part of the receiver or barrel (y) .
I dislike the cheaper action sidemounts that do this, or the top action mounts that similarly disfigure the wording.
Maybe that's just me :cry:

Someone worked hard to figure a way to mount that scope. Very clever, neat setup.

Back