6.5mm 140 gr Ballistic Tip

I've got some 120 BT's to try out of the 6.5 Swede. Thinking it should work pretty well on deer. Great info Jim.

Maybe you could run a 120 gr BT into some jugs if you have a chance Scotty. We have an excellent practice load in Maria's 6.5x55 with 38 gr H 4895, mild recoil and excellent accuracy. Would be neat to see how it performs though at around 2900-3000 fps.

cloverleaf":3aezbivp said:
I have heard several places that the 120 BT is the same bullet jacket with just a little less lead. That possible? IF so the 120 would seem to be a winner as well in the smaller 6.5's. CL

120 BT is the bullet I've been using since a few years now.
I did some studying and I think it may be the best bet for my 6,5x57R Mauser and not sure that running a heavier bullet, like the 140's, would improve performance.
I feel 120's are driven faster.
Om my load they give me 2760 fps.
Not against those high BC heavier 140's and I believe they'll be the way to go for more powerful .264, such 6,5-284, 264 win.mag., 6,5 Wsm and so on.

Will do Gerry. I will check them out.

Was thinking of making up a youth load just about like what you have going on.

Be neat to see what you end up with, H 4895 is such a versatile powder as you know. Hopefully we can get some on game results with both the 120 and 140 gr BT's this year.

Great post and thanks for sharing the info. My daughter has harvested some really nice bucks with the Sierra 120gr PH and her model 7 260. Now she has a new rem 700 .260 1-8 twist and we plan to try both the 120 and 140gr BT's in that particular rifle if we can find some. I've seen nothing but positive reviews on these two bullets accuracy as well as on game performance.

Guybo":2hoil5qu said:
Great post and thanks for sharing the info. My daughter has harvested some really nice bucks with the Sierra 120gr PH and her model 7 260. Now she has a new rem 700 .260 1-8 twist and we plan to try both the 120 and 140gr BT's in that particular rifle if we can find some. I've seen nothing but positive reviews on these two bullets accuracy as well as on game performance.

My wife shot 2 deer with the 120 gr Ballistic Tips and I shot 2 with the 140 gr version. Both are quite accurate in our guns and performed well without excessive holes or bloodshot meat. Would love to post up a picture of some recovered bullets but they all exited........

Hope to hear of some deer downed by your daughter this fall with a 6.5 mm Ballistic Tip.

I'd like to load some 120 BTs in my daughters Swede. Be neat to see them in action.

6,5 in general is quite a piercing caliber. I'm using 120 BT's in my 6,5x57 Rimmed Mauser on Roe deer and Chamois.
Never been able to recover a bullet, as they all exited....
Shots ranging from 30 to 430 meters.
I've noted, however, that this bullet does not expand too well when small animal are shot beyond 350 meters.
This is probably due to this caliber's performance, not in the high speed class, muzzle velocity being 2740 fps.
Accuracy wise, no problem at all, also managing wind drift quite well.
[THUMBS UP SIGN]

Gerry,
What ever happened with the 140gr BTS, what
Did you ever shoot with it??? Game reports??
E

They shot great with H 4350, H 4831 sc and IMR 7828 ssc in my 260. H 4350 and the IMR 7828 ssc both were about the same speed so I saved the H 4350 for my wife's 6.5x55 and her 120 gr Ballistic Tip load and used the 7828 at just under 2700 fps.

I can remember shooting at least 3 blacktails with the 140 gr Ballistic Tip and being pleased. Good sized wound channels without excessive meat damage and complete penetration on these smaller deer. I think you will be pleased using them for those big Maine whitetails. I have found them to be extremely accurate as well.

I think RL 26 might give these 140 BT's a boost out of a 260, 6.5x55 or 6.5 Creed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RL 26 looks very good in a lot of rounds so you are probably right. I would love to try it in our 260, 6.5x55 and 270 Win in the house. probably will be good in the 264 WM as well.

Thanks Gerry
And your right about the RL26 ! Its wonder powder in a 270W....... And I am now at 2850fps with our 6.5x55 and can plainly see 2900 fps is no big deal shooting the 140gr
Berger VLD bullets. Have not tryed a SST or the old Nosler BT yet but should be similar
E

Back