6.5mm BRM question

roysclockgun

Handloader
Dec 17, 2005
How great is this cartridge?
Anyone reloading 6.5mm BRM using 30-30 brass?
Can 30-30 brass be reformed into 6.5mm BRM brass with one pass through the full length sizer?

roys,

It appears it's all dependent on how much work you want to make out of it. Myself I'd put it in that novelty class as it would be fun to have and appears would be fun to shoot, but may be a lot of work ??? Again all dependent on what you want.... if it's going to fit that empty slot in the gun safe or that "just want" category.

Certialy curious if you have one of these built on how it turns out and your thoughts.

Since is suppose to be a necked up 219 Donaldson Wasp they made that case using two form dies also had to use inside neck ream die. Brown has the dies for the 6.5mmBRM and I'd call them about the form dies since they chamber for that case also and sell loaded ammo/brass already formed .

The brass that E. Brown sells for their 6.5mm BRM is reformed 30-30 brass and in fact, still reads "30-30" on the headstamp. I am interested in forming my own brass from once fired 30-30 brass, which I have a ton of. I do enjoy odd ball wild cat hand loading. In the past, I have hand loaded : 8mm-06 Ackley Improved, 6.5Jap-257Roberts and have necked down 30-06 to form 270Win. Those challenges are all fun and since I am retired, I do not count my time at the bench as lost.
Further, the reason that I selected the 6.5mm BRM from Brown's list, is because I have worked with the Swede 6.5x55mm cartridge and find that it's potential has likely only been recognized by a few. The 6.5mm bullet has not been popular in the USA for long. The 260Rem, using the same bullet did not receive wide acceptance and I see that few, if any new rifles are offered in that caliber. Even if the 6.5mm BRM never catches on, all one needs is a supply of 30-30 loading components and 6.5 bullets and one could load forever. I was hoping to hear from those who have used either Brown's 97d single shot rifle, or the 6.5mm BRM cartridge. Thank you for responding!
When I receive the rifle and begin loading, I will report back.
Steven

That link to the load data is helpful. At least I know that someone else is loading for the 6.5mm BRM.
I realize that E. Brown has been touting mid-range MV as being as effective as high end MV. I have no idea how a mid-range MV can be as effective as one with much higher MV. High MV translates into a flatter trajectory and therefore takes a lot of the guess work out of "where do I hold?" Of course, if one is willing to limit their shots on game to inside 300 yds., most any centerfire cartridge attaining 2800fps MV, or more, will be easy to dope out.
So for fun only, I will work up what the 6.5mm BRM will do out of the 24" E. Brown barrel. At this point, I agree, this rig is a novelty! <8^))
Steven

Back