6.5X54 MS neck with 6.5x55 dies?

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
Wondering if it is possible to load 6.5x54 MS (neck sizing only) with 6.5x55 Swedish dies that I already have. From the drawings, it looks like a strong maybe. Wondering if anybody has any experience in this area.

Never done it, but guess you could try/test one cartridge & see where it takes you. Might be best tried with a Lee collet neck die?
What seating die would you use....also 6.5x55?

It's definitely better to have the correct MSch die set, it's a great old cartridge.

Think for seating, the 6.5x50Jap die would work best. I also have those. Just had a bit of sticker shock on the price of MS dies.

Yup, I paid quite a bit for mine, but I have two sets. One for RN bullets & the othe for pointy SST's.

Perhaps I need to take this in a more theoretical direction, and see if someone has done similar. In comparing cartridge drawings, the 6.5 Swedish cartridge is slightly larger in every dimension. It is short enough, that I should be able to size at least half of the neck, probably more if I modified a shellholder, without contacting the shoulder or case walls of the 6.5 MS. Would probably have some lateral slop, but hey, I'm not building match ammo here, rather short range bush loads for an iron sighted carbine.

Also comparing the drawings, the 6.5x50 Jap cartridge is even closer in diameter dimensions, but too short to use as a sizing die. It should, however, give me a pretty tight fit for seating provided I can run the plunger far enough out to seat bullets to an appropriate depth. Still looking for opinions more educated than mine from some of the wildcat/obsolete crowd around here.

Back